Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
hink123321
AF Newbie

$2000 "Market Adjustment" for a Suzuki??

Here in town(pop.125,000)a new Suzuki car dealer adds an extra price tag to all of his new cars(it looks tacky-it looks like a post-it note)that has written on it "$1999.00 Market Adjustment. This is added to the sticker price. I don't know what you think of this gimmick but so far it has not worked. You don't see any new Suzuki's around town.
Now Suzuki makes a good car but the parking lots are full of new Toyota's,Hondas,Nissan's and Hyundai's. Maybe i'm not in the right part of the country but is the demand for new Suzukis in other parts so high that they can price them thousands higher that sticker price? I bought a new 1993 4dr Sidekick 4WD. Nice vehicle but was way to light in a crosswind to the point where I would park it on a windy day. Good mileage but it rusted out terribly in just a few short years. Got over 200,000 miles on the engine and never had any trouble with the 5 speed transmission.
I like the new SX4(I think that's what its called)but it's very heavy for it's size and MPG is not that high. It looks like the old Suzuki Swift(GEO Metro). Why not just bring them(50mpg)back? Anyway do you think the Suzuki is worth the extra $2000 or is the dealer just trying something that probably won't work? By the way are the newer Suzuki SUV's better in the crosswind? Thanks!
hink123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
milbyj
AF Newbie

Re: $2000 "Market Adjustment" for a Suzuki??

I think I would be driving to the next town or ordering online....
milbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Read the review on the 07 SX4 at edmonds.com and it will answer your questions about weight. As for the added on two grand, I saw it on a KIA Spectra in Charleston, SC and I thought that was a mite "strong" to say the least. I didn't see it on the Toyota Yaris, Hyundia Accent nor the Suzuki SX4, so why the KIA? Maybe if there was a raging demand for gas sipping vehicles and there was a shortage of them, but I don't think that is the case. They can talk about not being much mark up in the 'cheaper' cars but there is still a dealer reserve holdback around $400. to $500. so they can sell you a vehicle and not make a dime on the actual sale but they still get that dealer holdback check for the vehicle they sold.

I like the new SX4(I think that's what its called)but it's very heavy for it's size and MPG is not that high. Yup, that's what it's called and it is heavier than the other vehicles it's size and the gas tank is smaller and it gets 30 MPG highway which is plenty good for me. Go drive the SX4 Sport model and be prepared for a fun time driving it.
Huney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Torch
AF Regular

I would contact Suzuki and ask them what this "Market Adjustment" is, the dealer may be pocketing the $2,000 and not reporting it back to Suzuki, wouldn't be the first time I have heard of something like this.

Suzuki's contact page: http://www.suzukiauto.com/owners/contact_us.php
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Come to think of it, I didn't see the add on on every new vehicle they had. I can't say for sure but it's probably the same thing some dealerships do adding on things like $150. dealer preparation fee and $150. for Scotch Guarding the seats (stain proofing). What? They go buy a can of Sccotch Gurd and spray the seats and chartge me $150. for that?

Saw some that had add on fee for pain protectant sealant meaning nothing more than a wax job, and who nows what they used if thjey in fact did anything other than wash it for delivery. I went to one dealership and their administration fee and paperwork amounted to $399.00 added oin to the negotiated price and when I saw that I said no way. OK, so they have to pay secretaries but if it takes an hour to prepare the documents to sell a vehicle they're working with one hand tied behind their back. $50.00 is plenty for an admin fee so I said no way I'll pay that, take it off or no deal, and the idiots said I pay it or we have no deal, so I walked out and said thanks for your time.

Remember when you go to buy a car you are in control and you TAKE control and do not relinquish it. We go for a test drive the salesman says turn here, I say no I want to go the other way. Maybe he wants me to drive on the smooth roads which is what I do not want to do. Take a tire gague with you, I've found as much as 50 lbs in some tires and as little as 20 lbs in some. I checked the oil in a brand new car and it was a quart low sitting on the lot waiting for delivery. Check the tranny fluid, coolant, power steering and brake fluid levels to. Don't be afraid to open the air filter housing open because a friend looked at a brand new car and it had no air filter in it!

"the dealer may be pocketing the $2,000 and not reporting it back to Suzuki," As long as Suziki or any other car manufacturer gets their invoice price for the vehicle thay probably care less what add on fees the dealer adds. Maybe if the dealers sales are way down for a long time a factory rep might pay them a visit, but I don't think they can dictate what add on fees they charge.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch
I would contact Suzuki and ask them what this "Market Adjustment" is, the dealer may be pocketing the $2,000 and not reporting it back to Suzuki, wouldn't be the first time I have heard of something like this.

Suzuki's contact page: http://www.suzukiauto.com/owners/contact_us.php
The dealer WOULD BE pocketing that. There's nothing wrong with it...it's called supply and demand, and they don't have to tell Suzuki any of it. "Market adjustments" are made on high demand vehicles; I recently saw $4,000 on Ford F150 Harley-Davidson trucks and $20,000 on Ford Shelby Mustang GT350s. I remember when the first Dodge Vipers came with $100,000 "market adjustments."

As for Suzuki vehicles demanding this premium, I think someone's smoking crack. Even with the higher gas prices, Suzuki vehicles are not in tremendous demand.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

I agree, it is the dealers obligation to make every dime they can on the vehicles they sell and it the buyers obligation to. "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".
Never buy the first vehicle and go look at a lot of them and write down the equipment and price before you decide and do your research on line to see what others are paying for it. Also, find out what your car is worth at NADA or Edmonds or KBB .com websites so you'll know if they're trying to rip you off and steal your car. I always said a woman shouldn't go car shopping without a man, but my wife is very good at cutting a good deal and in fact usually gets a better deal than I. Also a good idea to not buy it thefirst visit, say you want to think about it and be sure and leave your phone number and the next day or evening they'll call you with a better offer. Right now it's a buyers market and the mark downs and rebates are very good. I was shocked when Toyota moved into second place and pushed out Ford in sales and if GM doesn't look out Toyota will be number ONE. No doubt about it, the foreign cars are selling like hot cakes.

I live in SC near Savannah, GA and Suzukis are selling good here and see a lot of them on the road. The dealer has five dealerships in neighboring towns so maybe that's the reason. My SX4 cross over is great and the more I drive it the more I like it.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Gregpaul49
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregpaul49
Smile Re: $2000 "Market Adjustment" for a Suzuki??

Occasionally one will see a "market adjustment" sticker on a new model that is in demand. I have also seen $400 market adjustments for some popular colors. It is just another way of padding the price. Another way is charging $200 for a paint stripe that was applied by an aftermarket company for $50. Buyers occasionally pay full sticker price or even more for new models that are hyped. Wise buyers wait 6 months for the excitement to receed then negotiate a better price.

I always ask about a "document fee" when I negotiate. I do not like unpleasant surprises.

I was told that the "SMART" car is in high demand. Some consumers are paying several thousand dollars above full sticker price for a new SMART. If I wanted one, I would wait 6 months then negotiate a discounted price.
Gregpaul49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
michaelmm
AF Newbie

obviously they are leaving negative effects on sales of suzuki.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

I recently went back to where I bought mine and saw a bump-up sticker on a station wagon, $999.00 for bull skate items like, pin striping, scotch guard, etc. My SX4 now has 4500 miles and running like a champ. I get a lot of positive comments, "What kind of car is that? It sure is "cute". It is holding steady at 25 to 27 MPG depending ho how hard I drive it. On the road cruise set at 55 mph it gets 30 average. Gas now $3.80 here and I economize best I can. Be glad you have a vehicle that gets 25 to 30 because if you try to buy a gas sipper now you will pay through the nose. I saw on TV where a lot of dealerships refuse to trade in a big SUV because they can't get rid of them for a profit.

This is interesting. I computed fuel cost at $4.00 a gal for 8000 miles at 25 and 40 MPG and 40 mpg will save a mere $1650. a year in gas. I say mere because in comparison to what it would cost to trade and the time to recoup investment would be 8 to 15 years depending on what price gas sipper you buy. AND, how about finance charges on the trade difference? If you get zero apr, great. But if not, then what you pay in finance charges may very well negate what you save in gas. Believe you me, a lot of people see 40 mpg and lose it and run out and buy one without first taking time to compute what the ACTUAL savings would be. The old adage applies: LET THE BUYER BEWARE!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
hink12341234
AF Regular

Re: $2000 "Market Adjustment" for a Suzuki??-UPDATE!!

Dealer closed up shop 3 months ago. So much for the "$2000 Market Adjustment"
hink12341234 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > General Discussion