Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saleen > Mustang
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 08:28 AM   #1
paul
AF Newbie

I think that the S351 Saleen is way underrated. I mean, the thing has more horses than a Viper GTS, does 0-60 in 4.6, has a top speed of like 167mph and has excellent handling... Yet no one seems to really do comparisons with it or anything. A nice comparo would be against the S351 and the Viper RT/10. Ones a V10 N/A, the other a V8 Suercharged. I like both, and would take a Viper anyday over a Saleen, but the simple fact is, the Saleen is a underrated car. The price is a bit steep on it though, but it is also with the Cobra R.

----------
- Lotus -
For The Few Who Know The Difference
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 12:10 AM   #2
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I don't know if it's underrated, but more underpublicized. No one ever doubts it's performance or power, but it doesn't get as much publicity, as often is the case with aftermarket tuned cars.

I think, while we're on the topic, there are plenty of tuners that don't get their "props". Lingenfelter would top my list of cinderellas.

----------
"Ferrari isn't a car, it's a lifestyle"
-Enzo Ferrari.
enzo@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 12:38 PM   #3
paul
AF Newbie

Well we know one thing for sure, Lingenfelter like you said and Hennessey get way more publicized than Saleen.

----------
- Lotus -
For The Few Who Know The Difference
Old 12-01-2000, 02:32 PM   #4
enzo@af
Old Mod

I don't think that Lingenfelter gets more publicity than Saleen. I've never seen a lingenfelter Vette, nor do I see many when I thumb through DuPont Registry or Car and Driver. I see Saleen's on the road fairly often, and they're all over the place in DuPont.

----------
-Enzo Ferrari.
Old 12-04-2000, 01:23 PM   #5
paul
AF Newbie

Quote:
Quote: enzo@af ( 3:32 pm on Dec. 1, 2000 )

I don't think that Lingenfelter gets more publicity than Saleen. I've never seen a lingenfelter Vette, nor do I see many when I thumb through DuPont Registry or Car and Driver. I see Saleen's on the road fairly often, and they're all over the place in DuPont.

That is VERY true especially in DuPont. I meant less in Magazines.

----------
-Enzo Ferrari.
Old 12-04-2000, 08:59 PM   #6
enzo@af
Old Mod

Well, they haven't changed too much lately, so reviews in magazines would be redundant.

----------
-Enzo Ferrari.
Old 12-13-2000, 10:13 PM   #7
andrew
AF Newbie

Wether this really factors in or not, the 'Saleen' look has been reproduced by so many different bolt ons, even a v6 stang can look like one, which I think de-sensitizes the general public. I know of many, many, many faux Saleens, but of only one real one (springfield, MO) I also think they aren't in many comparisons because they just dont have the sheer 'shock' factor as does the vipers bodylines (which, incidentally, are not reproduced in a bolt up kit, to my knowledge!) I do kinda have a beef with the Cobra R if I do say so myself, I think they kind of cut corners (in a sense) when they almost completely strip the interior and then put a ridiculous pricetag (in my opinion) on it! If I wanted a stripped interior, I would do it myself

----------
Andrew
73 240z, 78z turbo 2+2, 82zx
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 05:55 AM   #8
nospower2001
AF Newbie

the saleens are very underrated, to bad the cobra r is so overrated, well at least the 2000 is, why spend that kinda of money when you can get a new z06 vette and have the comfort of a/c and heat and a radio and still be able to put out more hpw than the cobra r and out handle one and still cost about 15000 dollars less than a cobra r
nospower2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 07:35 AM   #9
Dimex
AF Newbie

Well, both the Z06 and Cobra R put out 385 hp and the same number for ft lbs, but I agree. The Z06 is a better car for it's creature comforts, less weight, and better handling. Of course, Redline is a little lower in the Z06, but that's okay.

----------
1 Corinthians 7:14
Dimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 08:59 AM   #10
nospower2001
AF Newbie

i highly agree with ya on that one
nospower2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2000, 12:19 PM   #11
enzo@af
Old Mod

Just some trivia...there are "Viper" kits for cars. They're complete rebodies mostly based on C4 'vettes. Not the real look, but pretty cool in their own right.

----------
-Enzo Ferrari.
Old 01-15-2001, 12:08 AM   #12
Ferrari 308
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari 308
Talking

I agree... There is nothing better in that class than the Saleen S351. Hell, the S281 Turbocharged wouldn't be bad either

Stu
Ferrari 308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 03:59 AM   #13
enzo@af
Old Mod

Turbocharged? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they were supercharged? Of course, either means justify the ends. Wonderful cars, fast as stink and gorgeous as well.
Old 01-20-2001, 10:16 PM   #14
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
I too believe the S281 is supercharged via a roots blower, not a turbo. You're definitely right, the Saleen crowd of cars doesn't get the press that I feel it so rightly deserves. Road and Track made the comparison of its performance by price with a Lamborghini Diablo a few months back (at the drag strip anyway). You are getting a hell of a lot of power for the money with the S281, which is a much better buy than the S351, which actually has traction problems getting all that power transferred to the pavement. It's got wheelspin like you wouldn't believe!! It would probably be a burn-out king !!

As for the Z06 and Cobra R, they are both great packages. Both Ford and Chevy have clearly been at it trying to out-do the Viper and exotic competitors. I was amazed at the performance both offer as rated in this year's Motor Trend "high speed shoot out." But since the R tops a little over $55,000, the $47,000 Z06, in contemporary Corvette tradition, remains a performance bargain. I think the Z06 is one of the best sports cars in the world.. and that's high praise from a Honda guy like me.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 07:37 PM   #15
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Red face

Yeah, Saleen doesn't get much publicity. But then, the people who buy it don't care, they already know about it. I've seen them in several test, usually just a whole bunch of super-fast cars (li R&T quarter mile test, C&D 0-150-0)
Pretty fast, available from a dealership, and neat looking. I agree, the Cobra R is stupid, and they left in a few things that are frivolous (I think it still has power windows), so they really fudged it. The Z06 rules!, it has a bunch of niceties, and is fast. I do like Saleens, though.