Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mini > Mini 1 | Cooper | Countryman
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
shnailpower
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to shnailpower
Curious about Mini performance...

Hola, I was looking into Mini Coopers and was wondering, what is their performance in regards to the street racing scene? I looked up the price for a 2003 base Mini w/out any frills on KBB and the price came out to 15K. The 0-60 for an '03 Cooper is 8.3 and 16.6 in the quarter-mile ~ Car and Driver. For 15K a serious buyer could find a used car with pretty good quality that would destroy the Mini on a dragstrip (according to these times). Is this all for the Mini or would it make up for it's poor speed w/ better handling? I understand that the Mini would have better reliability and more *luxury* because of it's relatively recent manufacturing but in terms of speeds around say... a track. Would the Mini stand up to a 3000Gt for example. We know the 3000GT would burn a mini at the 'strip, so what would be the outcome? Just wondering.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687
Re: Curious about Mini performance...

To my understanding, the Mini is one of the best handling and most fun to drive cars availible. It is very light and you will get great gas mileage but however, stock it is not a race car. It doesnt produce much power and the only reason 0-60 is a respectable 8.3 is because it is so ridiculusly light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687

P.S. The Cooper S has some better performance but is a bit more pricey

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
kramertron
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLad10687
To my understanding, the Mini is one of the best handling and most fun to drive cars availible. It is very light and you will get great gas mileage but however, stock it is not a race car. It doesnt produce much power and the only reason 0-60 is a respectable 8.3 is because it is so ridiculusly light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding.
Yup, he's right. Stock, the MINI is far from a race car, even the S. But to me it is easily the most fun car to drive on the road. There are quite a few after market options to get the car to blow away most any competition, but they are all very expensive, and you may as well go with a cheaper car that is faster stock, if that is what you're after.
kramertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
r.j-lo
AF Regular

Dont get a MINI for the street racing, but try out the autocross or road racing aspects. The Cooper S will turn the quarter in 15.6 which isnt BAD, but isnt that great either. It is an extremely light car so it doesnt take as much power to get the results. The wife is interested in the MINIs now also after seeing them at an auto show this weekend, but a drag car it wont be.
r.j-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
davewastey
AF Newbie

The mini could be a great car for street racing with enough money put into it, say 5k for a 280hp package from www.lohen.co.uk then it would do around 5-5.5 seconds to 60 combined with it's great handling it could be a match for some of the jap imports.
davewastey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
pandaphone
AF Newbie

hey tommy...can you guess who i am?

you were hawt at skool 2day. maybe you shud watch ur back, bcus, you never know whos watchin u.

i dont no shit about cars, tho. that 2 bad otwerwise wed be perfectfer eachother. i do like minis tho. there hott lyk u and ur hair and ur woven belt.
pandaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
psych0hans
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaphone
hey tommy...can you guess who i am?

you were hawt at skool 2day. maybe you shud watch ur back, bcus, you never know whos watchin u.

i dont no shit about cars, tho. that 2 bad otwerwise wed be perfectfer eachother. i do like minis tho. there hott lyk u and ur hair and ur woven belt.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
E&L
AF Newbie

mini for street racing?
E&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
DottedPanda
AF Newbie

i own a mini s and i absolutely love it. Now to the other peoples comments about it lacking power, mine puts 220 horses to the road which isn't bad in my opinion and since it is so light it does realy well on the street in muy experience. The problem is getting attention cause the jap imports look for a giant wing to designate a fellow racer not a mini. The mini was originally a rally car and so does have a racing history.

My mini is not exceptional from a dig but off of a roll at 30 in second it really flies. Gear shifts are crisp, the only problem is the stock clutch is made for weak american women who unfortunately also like the minis. This clutch can take very little abuse and i burnt myn out in 3 months. NO JOKE!! That was not due to bad driving, i simply just ran it to hard, an expensive mistake (for my parents) haha.

Hit me back if you have anymore question

P.S. the handling of the little car is honestly the most fun you can have, due to the stiff chassis
DottedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mini > Mini 1 | Cooper | Countryman