Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #16
coopdavillage
AF Regular

Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

ok you say it does it when you are driving? if so check the engine compression. also check your cat and muffler as well.
coopdavillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #17
chevboy
AF Newbie

check the clutch for sure
chevboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

its not clutch related I can tell that, because its the actual motor itself that is cutting out and surging, if it were the clutch the motor wouldnt act the way it did, its not the exhaust either because its at exactly 2k it happens, and if you guys could see how violent it is you'd understand. This thing is likely to give you whiplash. The guy she bought it off of has his own little local car dealer he runs, he has had it since wednesday and has checked things like pickup coil, coil, ignition control module, fuel pressure, and as fas as I know he still hasnt figured it out yet either. I am at a loss here, and my girlfriend works 3 jobs and I work one, and it is getting really hard having to share 1 car. I really need some help...
94twacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
coopdavillage
AF Regular

im at a loss i have never heard anything like that
Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #20
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

me neither, dont know what to do!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #21
coopdavillage
AF Regular

i can go out on a limb and say have you checked the timing belt and gears?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #22
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

I thought about that, and no I dont think that has been done yet. If the timing was off, would it idle perfectly and run fine up to a specific rpm? The guy she bought it from still has it now and I guess that he is going through and checking all of the grounds now and making sure they are all good, I dont know all I know is that its hard sharing one vehicle when she has 3 jobs and I have one! I appreciate your guys help, keep the ideas coming, anything helps! Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #23
coopdavillage
AF Regular

something i just thought of your is just 1 year off from mine. have you checked the Ignition Control Module? and the distributor? the icm is just before the coil if its bad that would send a bad signal to the coil other than that i can only think of the electronic control module haveing problems (the computer) but usually it gives a code for that. but if you have a manual give it a try and test the icm out this is what it looks like http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=194&ptset=C
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #24
trailboss62
AF Newbie

Re: Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94twacker
I unplugged the mass air flow sensor and it didnt seem to make a difference...
i have a 95 tracker with 215k on it and having the same problem! Idles great and runs super except for cutting out some times, and it mainly happens when the AC is on. Changed dist.cap,plugs and wires, didn't fix a thing. Also cleaned Throtle body which helped it Idle much better and helped mileage. I have no codes, I think I have narrowed problem down to the ICM(ignition control module), ECM(computer)or Pick-up coil in Distributor. The ICM will not put a code in system where the ECM will. Also The ICM will check out fine when at idle because it is not breaking down. Going to try ICM first, and get one from junk yard, new one is 80 to 100 dollars, might be able to get one from yard for 1/2 that.
trailboss62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #25
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

well, the guy she bought it from had it for about a week, have it back to her and said that it should be taken care of. All he said was that he took off all of the grounds and sanded them and cleaned them, and he said to keep dry gas in it. He swapped out and test the coil, pick up coil, and a couple of other parts that didnt help it, so we are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping that it stays good, but who knows...
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #26
coopdavillage
AF Regular

good luck i have asked around and no one i know of has any idea what could be wrong with it
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #27
trailboss62
AF Newbie

Re: Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94twacker
well, the guy she bought it from had it for about a week, have it back to her and said that it should be taken care of. All he said was that he took off all of the grounds and sanded them and cleaned them, and he said to keep dry gas in it. He swapped out and test the coil, pick up coil, and a couple of other parts that didnt help it, so we are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping that it stays good, but who knows...
Hope it works, Should Know pretty quick though, if it does. Let us Know, I haven't changed any parts yet, I'll wait till I hear something from you.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #28
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

well the car was fine for a day or two, but now it is back to the same thing, not nearly as violent as it was before, but its occuring right at 2500 again and gradually getting worse, going from 1-2 times a day to 10 times a day now, just the same thing that happened in the beginning. So whatever he did helped it out, but its slowly coming back just like it was. Like I said not as violent, but working its way up just like it did before. PLEASE let me know when you try the icm if that helps, the only difference between our problems is the A/C thing, this one doesnt have A/C. Was yours so bad it would lock up the seatbelt and chirp the tires? Well....let me know what you come up with because within a couple of days it looks like we are going to be right back to where we were before....thanks alot!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #29
trailboss62
AF Newbie

yes, when my Tracker cuts out it will throw your head back aginst the seat. It's like the ignition is turned off then right back on again but the lights don't go off and raidio doesn't quit. It very seldom cuts out when the A/C isn't on, actually it will cut out when the blower switch is on, come to think of it. I thought that the ignition control module was breaking down under a load. Well I'll start there and see what happens. For sure I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #30
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

I work at autozone, and I looked into it today and come to find out we can test the ignition control module, so tomorrow when I get out of work Im going to take it down there and test it and see what happens. Only thing that makes me somewhat hesitant to think its that is that supposedly when the guy had it he swapped one from another tracker he has and it didnt make a chance, but Im really keeping my fingers crossed and praying that is what it is, because I will be so thrilled to just simply figure out what it is and get it over with, I mean once winter comes this is going to be unsafe to drive, it will most definately cause an accident. How soon will you know if that is your problem? Hopefully I will know soon and I will keep you updated as well, thanks again man!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker