Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Windshield Wipers don't work..anyone with the abiliy to interpret FSM?

Hey everybody! long time no see.

As usual, seems like I only come around when I need something.

I recently removed my ignition switch (again) to clean the contacts (again) as a possible cause of my stumbling startups/ hard starts, etc.

It seems to have worked, car starts as fast as I can turn the key with no hiccups.

The only problem, is that since Ive done this, my windshield wipers have stopped working!

Ive checked both fuses associated with the wipers, the 25A fuse in the passenger compartment, as well as the big ignition fuse under the hood.

I do have a FSM, but Im not always the best at interpreting wiring diagrams.

I have NO POWER at the 25a fuse in the passenger compartment, even though its a good fuse. This is with the key in the ON position.

By my interpretation of the wiring diagram, it looks like power passes through that fuse BEFORE it even goes to the wiper switch on the steering column, therefore ruling out a wiper switch issue.

By all accounts it seems like an ignition switch issue, which means I either need to tear into everything AGAIN. Or possibly just buy a new ignition switch and stop trying to coax more life out of the original.

Thoughts? discuss!
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Windshield Wipers don't work..anyone with the abiliy to interpret FSM?

If you have no power at that fuse, turn the key to on, and check all your fuses with a test light....if you find other fuses without power to them, check your manual to see if all those fuses without power are fed off the same "leg" of the ignition switch....if they are, it's either the ignition switch or the splice joint from the leg.....however, since you were just in there, I would suspect the switch.....just check for power on the leg out of the switch.....no power will be your answer.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
pfofit
AF Newbie

littlehoov, your hypotheses is probably correct.

The attached diagram is a good overview. With one side connected to the battery, the other side of the 50 amp fuse supplies the wipers and some other stuff listed to the left. I presume the 50 is Ok or you would be complaining about power windows, radios and airbag.

The power is then fed through the C1-C2 ignition switch contact to the 25 amp fuse, red and brown wires,
Most likely the contacts inside are not right( dirty/ misaligned etc) and or the plugs/pins are not fully seated.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: gif p13.gif (65.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Well I just came back in from tinkering with it...probably not the best project to do by flashlight, but I was bored.

As best I can deduce from the FSM, the brown wire coming from the black connector on the ignition switch...I believe its labled "ignition accessory feed" or something like that...is responsible for sending power to the wipers, the radio, and the "power drop" whatever that is.

My radio works fine, but I think thats only because I ran a power wire direct to the BCM as a last ditch effort to correct a separate problem I had back over the summer with my INADV POWER BUS fuse blowing repeatedly. Im guessing if I hadnt done that, I wouldnt have a radio now either. Same story with the power windows. The 50amp fuse under the hood is also fine.

I said all that to say this...I went out to the car, hooked up my test light, and I had no power coming off that brown wire with the ignition in the ON position...all the other wires that should have lit up did so.

So looks like my ignition switch is mostly shot haha...kind of ironic that by taking it out and cleaning it up I fixed one set of problems, but I guess jostled it around so much that I created another.

Looks like a new ignition switch is in order....I probably needed one years ago.

I should add pfofit that your diagram looks slightly different than mine...although Im working from a '99 FSM on a 2000 vehicle...yours is probably correct, what a difference a year makes!

I need to get a proper set for my car someday, you would think a 99 set would do (they were free) but it seems they arent always accurate.

I ordered a new ignition switch, I can handle no wipers for a few days until it gets here since its not supposed to rain anytime soon. Ill let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Rain-X?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
panzer dragoon
AF Enthusiast

L.H. --> It's good to see you finally had a mental breakdown on that ignition switch and decided to post. Many of these parts have been upgraded for reliability/durability. If you feel the need to slam your filthy key in there just so you can clean it every year -that is ok too, people hear understand how you like to take apart and clean things. With a name like "Hoover" I would expect nothing less.
panzer dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Hey now, in my defense, I cleaned it once 4 YEARS AGO, and havent had a problem since...unless you count that whole Passkey fiasco, simply solved by clipping the yellow wire....but to me thats not bad for a couple hours work

New switch should be here either tomorrow or Saturday, and will go in promptly I assure you, Ive been driving around with most of my dash trim pieces missing, and my current ignition switch dangling inside the dash just waiting to be removed!

Panzer is there a big difference in ground clearance between your Intrigue and your High Horse? I imagine its hard to even get your key in the ignition with your nose up in the air! Must take some talent!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Well, I just put in the new ignition switch today, and as predicted, everything is back to normal.

My wipers work fine now, and it is still starting fine as well.

I ordered the Dorman unit from RockAuto, didnt notice any glaring differences in quality between it and the OEM unit, but from the outside all you can really see is plastic.

Moral of the story, you can probably get by for a while by cleaning the contacts on the outside of the switch, but if they are corroding, etc on the outside, you can bet its doing the same thing inside.

Thanks again everyone for helping to point me in the right direction, and thanks panzer for a good laugh! ....and for digging up those painful childhood memories of people making fun of my name...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Off topic here...

Wow Littlehov..... Its been a long time... Glad to see that you are still kicking guy... and glad to see you got the car fixed...lol
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Oh wow, blast from the past for sure!

Good to see you too man, it sure has been a long time since Bonnevilleclub!

Commence off topicness:

Hope youre doing well. You still driving a Bonneville? I honestly miss mine, the Intrigue is a nice car, but the Bonneville was nicer in so many ways. I wouldnt mind having one again someday. Although my priorities in life have kinda changed a bit so my next vehicle will probably be a small pickup or a newer Cherokee or 4Runner...but Ill always have a soft spot for the Bonnies!

Sidenote: The no longer existent Bonnevilleclub.com is largely the reason I developed an interest in doing my own repair work, and where I learned a lot of my first repair knowledge. When I got my first car at 16, a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville, I barely knew how to change the oil on a car. But as I read about other members fixing theirs, it really inspired me and the rest is history. Since then Ive done things I never would have thought myself capable of doing.