Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Darius427
AF Newbie

Could this actually be the starter?

Hey guys, I have gone through just about everything I can think of to get this car to start. I did the ignition switch and cylinder. I put a new battery and checked to make sure my cables were in good condition. I installed a remote start hoping this would bypass whatever it is that is making this thing not start. After all this I still have the no crank issue. It is a 2001 gls. 3.5L. I have not bypassed my passlock, but have not had the issues with it blinking at me after trying to start. So, the latest thing I have tried was to install a push button. I figured, with direct power to the starter, it should crank no matter what (bad ignition switch, cylinder, passlock). So after installing, it does work, and makes the starter turn over IF it was going to work anyway (would have turned over with key). However, when the key will not turn the car over, the push button will not turn it over either. I checked the button, and it has 12.5 volts running to it, so I know it should be sending that to the starter. Could I have possibly went though all of this other stuff, just to find out that it is a bad starter or solinoid? Any comments or info would be appreciated before I go and drop another $200 for a new starter. Thanks alot.
Darius427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: Could this actually be the starter?

I would check the voltage actually at the starter, Im assuming your push-button just activates a relay somewhere else, or the factory relay, depending on how you installed it.

Cables can go bad, and you havent mentioned them, check to make sure the starter is grounded properly.

Are you hearing the starter make any noise? Usually you will at least hear a solenoid clicking when you turn the key.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Darius427
AF Newbie

I did check all cables and grounds, and they all appear to be in good condition. The push button runs direct from the battery to the button then to the solenoid on the starter. I did not want anything else in the loop that could possible go bad. I do think that I could hear a slight click when I turned the key over. However, I just went out to try it to confirm and of coarse it started right up with no problem. I will try to listen for a click throughout the day, as I am sure at some point it will not crank. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for your response and info.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Think you answered your own question.....if the key won't crank the engine, and if you press your button, which directly applies battery voltage to the starter solenoid, then you have a bad starter/solenoid.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Darius427
AF Newbie

Thanks Tech... I assumed that was my problem, but I also assumed it was all the other parts I threw at it first. Just didnt want to spend more on parts than I have to. Seems like the ignition switch is much more common to go bad than a starter on these cars. But, I suppose I wont have to change those for awhile now I will change the starter this weekend and post back to let everyone know how it all worked out. Real bummer is I had the starter out when I was installing the push button. Should of changed it then. Oh well.