Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
oogle88jr
AF Newbie

12 Ram 1500 shuts off during drive....help

Hey y'all. so my husband has a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 and the past month it has completely shut off on him while driving (dangerous I know). He looked it up and found it could be the ignition switch. His coworker told him it's the weight of his keys that causing it. So lately he's been driving with just his key fob in it. We called dodge dealership and they said for a new ignition switch it's gonna be $700 basically and he asked if he could find a used part they could install and reprogram the key and they told him yes. So he went to the wreck yard and found one ---- took it to dodge dealership and they told me it wouldn't work because each vehicle has a 4 pin code. I took that part back to the wreck yard and they told me that it's doable for dodge to do it, it'll just be difficult.....anyone else have this problem ... or would anyone know if it it doable for dodge to reprogram the used part?
oogle88jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 12 Ram 1500 shuts off during drive....help

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee had that same problem. The dealer did a "wire around" installing a relay to operate the fuel pump, that the engine computer (TIPM)couldn't handle. It was the standard "fix".
Well a few years later, the engine started dying again and I found on the internet that the relay part of the fix fails and the cheapest "fix" is to simply buy another relay and be happy for 7 more years.
Does this sound familiar to you?

Here's the relay I bought and the Jeep has been fine for a coupla months now,

https://www.amazon.com/Omron-Relay-G...NJ3FEXG46VV7D8

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10