Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
micallen
AF Newbie

05 Camry - Noise accelerating from stop

Save my marriage!!

My wife has been complaining about a noise coming from her 2005 4-CYL Camry for over a year. Once in a while I could hear it too. It was always when accelerating from a stop. I guess the best way to describe it is like a groaning vibration that lasts 1/2 a second. A mechanic told us it was likely the top-mounted torque strut motor mount. I replaced that and assumed that would do it. It didn't. In the past few weeks it's gotten much more pronounced. If you put it in drive (or reverse) and hold the brake down, it does it every time. The sound seems to be coming from the area of the lower left (facing the front of the car) near the pulleys - but not necessarily.

Any thoughts? I did a search and didn't see any similar issues.

Last edited by micallen; 08-28-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: clarify
micallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: 05 Camry - Noise accelerating from stop

Sounds like one of your brake calipers may not be retracting fully. Does the car's steering wheel pull to one side when you accelerate from a stop? Also, does the car pull to one side when stopping? Any other vibrations or noises?

Also, what is the condition of the brakes? When were the pads replaced? It's a strange thing but some pads have the warning tabs only on one pad face and not both sides of the rotor. So if the caliper stops sliding to stay in line with the rotor (the caliper is mounted onto slide pins to keep the pad pressure even between the inboard and outboard pad), one pad will wear out faster, and if that pad doesn't have the warning tab, then you can get that grinding sound when that pad is worn away completely and the backing is contacting the rotor.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
micallen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
Sounds like one of your brake calipers may not be retracting fully. Does the car's steering wheel pull to one side when you accelerate from a stop? Also, does the car pull to one side when stopping? Any other vibrations or noises?

Also, what is the condition of the brakes? When were the pads replaced? It's a strange thing but some pads have the warning tabs only on one pad face and not both sides of the rotor. So if the caliper stops sliding to stay in line with the rotor (the caliper is mounted onto slide pins to keep the pad pressure even between the inboard and outboard pad), one pad will wear out faster, and if that pad doesn't have the warning tab, then you can get that grinding sound when that pad is worn away completely and the backing is contacting the rotor.
I don't think it's the brakes. Full brake service performed about 2 weeks ago. New pads, and new rotors.

It's coming from the lower left (if you are facing the car) of the engine compartment.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
RIP
AF -Advisor

Try removing the surpentine drivebelt and repeat your shifting with the brake held. If the noise is gone, look at anything driven by the belt or even the belt itself. If it's still there consider engine mounts or the suspension.

Could have the tension checked on the surpentine belt or just replace it.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
micallen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Try removing the surpentine drivebelt and repeat your shifting with the brake held. If the noise is gone, look at anything driven by the belt or even the belt itself. If it's still there consider engine mounts or the suspension.

Could have the tension checked on the surpentine belt or just replace it.
DING DING DING... we have a winner. I took it to a mechanic that determined it IS the serpintine belt tensioner. He actually bought a new belt to see if maybe the belt had stretched and if that was the problem. It only slightly improved. It was definately the tensioner.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2005 , accelerating , noise
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista