Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
chipnmeg
AF Newbie

starting problem

My 2005 silverado with over 200,000 miles on it sometimes will not start. when the key is turned to the on position all the dash lights come on and the radio plays like everything is fine. but when i go to the start position, everything dies and the starter makes no sound. no click or anything. I know the battery is charged because 99% of the time it starts fine. I have replaced the starter relay in the power distribution box under the hood and i know its fine because it clicks when i try to start. I have also checked the continuity of my ignition wire and know its fine. I have narrowed it down to the solenoid on the starter itself. Any ideas???
chipnmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipnmeg View Post
My 2005 silverado with over 200,000 miles on it sometimes will not start. when the key is turned to the on position all the dash lights come on and the radio plays like everything is fine. but when i go to the start position, everything dies and the starter makes no sound. no click or anything. I know the battery is charged because 99% of the time it starts fine. I have replaced the starter relay in the power distribution box under the hood and i know its fine because it clicks when i try to start. I have also checked the continuity of my ignition wire and know its fine. I have narrowed it down to the solenoid on the starter itself. Any ideas???

when you try to crank and the power / lights drop out you have a bad conection usually at the battery or an open intermittent battery.

have the battery load tested. swaP battery with a tested good one.

load tested means a high current load is placed accross the battery then the meter says if it is good or bad..

if your work with batteries as long as I have I can tell by just how they charge if they are good most times..some times they get internal shorts and or opens that then makes this a little harder to determine..

THE LOAD TESTER IS FREE AND TAKES 2 MIN.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
chipnmeg
AF Newbie

Re: starting problem

I will certainly try that tomorrow. Thanks for the input!!!
chipnmeg is offline   Reply With Quote