Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
rodsbig1
AF Newbie

92 pathfinder overheats

ok my truck is over heating,we r in the middle of changing the thermostat, but if yall think it may be sumthing else i shod check please speak up...thx
rodsbig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 92 pathfinder overheats

Welcome to AF.
You have put this in the "Hot and Not" subforum, which refers to forum content, policies and function... not overheating vehicles

I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Mavrick14
AF Newbie

Thermostat is a good start. Get it done, make sure to bleed the cooling system after your finished. Then report back with more info as to when it overheats, and how bad.

Bleeding The Cooling System - Fill the rad up with coolant and run the truck until the thermostat opens (when your temp gauge is at or over the normal, or half way mark). Continue running the engine with the rad cap off for 10-20 minutes as you top up the coolant level. Fill your overflow up and check the level of the rad after it has cooled down, and top it up again.
Mavrick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Take a look down in the radiator if you can. Look at the oval tube openings. Are they clean, or are they gunked up? With the truck running and the thermostat open (check the top radiator hose to make sure its really hot), rev the engine. Does the level of the water in the radiator change? If not, there is a good chance that its a water pump issue. Another way to help diagnose a water pump issue is by buying a cheap laser/infrared thermometer. Check the coolant at the neck where the bottom radiator hose comes into the engine, check the thermostat neck, then check both sides of the radiator. If you have more than about a 30-40 degree difference in temperature, it might be a bad water pump.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
rodsbig1
AF Newbie

thanks so much i deeply regret not coming back to say,but changing the thermostate fixed the prob....idk y i codnt figure it out.....thanks again ,i cant express it enuff......ur patiencents with me was much more than i cod ever expected
rodsbig1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
pathfinder
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical