Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Tervo
AF Regular

Yamaha TZ250M '94

First of all, Merry Christmas to all of you!

Here, as promised to motometalix, is my new project, Tamiya's Yamaha TZ250. Not very much done yet, just painted the fairings. I got worried, when motometalix said, there were some fitting issues with his kit, so I had to make sure there won't be in this one! At least at the moment everything seems to be OK.
Had to start the kit with fairings, because there will be a lot of test fitting those parts, just to make sure decals will be in line as well as the color separation, so I cannot afford painting the frame with Alclad and then spoil it with those test fittings!
The color of the bike is a bit problem, no ready made Zero paints, so I had to mix it myself, from Mipa's base blue and blue and violet pearl (mixing ratio about 5:7:2), turned out quite convincing. No she is waiting the first layer of clear and the decals.

Here we go:

Main parts puttied, and readied for paint:

All coated with primer, underside of fairing painted white:

The custom blue is on, as well as the black at the front of fairing:

Tervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Yamaha TZ250M '94

Great start! Paint looks promising as you said. I see that you have already painted the inside of the cowls. Did you do that prior or after painting the outsides? I usually paint the flat black insides after decalling and clearcoating but you seem to have done a fantastic job with it.
/Joel
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Tervo
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist
Great start! Paint looks promising as you said. I see that you have already painted the inside of the cowls. Did you do that prior or after painting the outsides? I usually paint the flat black insides after decalling and clearcoating but you seem to have done a fantastic job with it.
/Joel
Well, not all of the inside! Only the front outside, which is going to be gloss black! The real inside will be painted flat black, but just after decals and the final clear coat. So, nothing new under the sun!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
khairy1974
AF Newbie

nice going man!!!! can't wait for the next update...
khairy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Tervo
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by khairy1974
nice going man!!!! can't wait for the next update...
So, you want something new, like decals? Well, I'll give you some decals!

Seems the kit was stored in some damp place, the decals were between terrible and horrible! They sticked to the backing paper like they were glued on! Required a lot more than the 10 seconds dipping in water, something like five minutes! And the were very brittle too. Managed to tear the Castrol -decal at the rear cowling, as well as the striping at the back of rear cowling. They point at you like a sore finger, bur, C'est la vie, or something like that the French say! On the other hand, they were very thin, and conformed to the surface very well.

No more talking, here are the pictures:

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervo
Well, not all of the inside! Only the front outside, which is going to be gloss black!
Aha, now I see what you mean. Wasn't too obvious from the angle the picture was taken. Great executed masking. Decalling looks perfect too. Keep it up.
/Joel
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Nice going on this bike. Let's have some more.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes