Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Compass
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #31
Millermagic
AF Regular

Re: Would you buy a FWD Jeep?

I think the compass is going to run jeep in the ground ... or chrysler making thigs like this, rather.

- Leather - Transmission Cooler - Gen III Tweeter Sails - Gen III Rocker Covers -

As you walk through the valley of RICE, you shall fear NO V-TEC, for torque is with thee!

Millermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #32
sevenslotgrill
AF Newbie

No, I would not buy a FWD Jeep - but that's me.

But - I hope they sell enough of them to barely make money - so they don't go belly up or something. That way they can still make the other models....or possibly improve the thing.

I guess it is really marketed as a daily driver and maby it will be good at that. Time (and sales) will tell. I suspect they needed something made under the Jeep name to improve their overall fuel mileage numbers (for the Jeep Brand) to comply with federal requirements.

I just thought I'd keep this thread going...........
sevenslotgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #33
jg09
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Rubicon
No, wouldn't want to be seen near one. Now when you tell someone you have a Jeep, they'll think of one of these. They stopped making cherokees, changed the TJ, got rid of the 4.0L, and made these things.
You're right, that is a lot of changes for a company in so little time. Possibly a mistake, maybe not. We'll just have to sit this one out and see how it goes.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #34
Tonto Kowalski
AF Regular

Well I actually think the Compass looks ok. Not really nice, but not that bad either. Definitely better than other crossovers like the PT Cruiser and the Chevrolet HHR and the Pontiac Aztek. I wouldn't buy the Compass if I was looking for a Jeep, but if I was looking for just a regular car I might consider it.
Tonto Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #35
CoriolisSTORM
AF Newbie

I'm thinking about a 4x4 Compass stick shift to replace my Wrangler as my daily driver. The more I look at it, the more it grows on me. Its either that, or a Caliber.
CoriolisSTORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #36
sevenslotgrill
AF Newbie

I think that either the caliber or compass would be a good daily driver. They will get much better gas mileage than a wrangler. Personally I like the looks of the caliber but I have not driven either one.

You might have the best of both worlds with a dd that gets good mileage and a wrangler for fun and off-road.

Drive them and pick the one that suits your needs and you like the best.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #37
sprocketjuice
AF Newbie

I drove a caliber around town for several days, and i must admit i was underwhelmed. I like my small cars to be fast and nimble, neither of which i would apply to the caliber. The most notable feature on my rental was the glove box - of which there were two. One apparently stuck to the nomenclature and was only large enough to store a few small things. The bottom glove box however, was delightfully spacious for a car of its size. All in all i was much more pleased with its bigger brother, the Magnum.
sprocketjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #38
jg09
AF Regular

If you're not happy with the power, get the SRT-4 version of the caliber.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #39
swedish
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Rubicon
No, wouldn't want to be seen near one. Now when you tell someone you have a Jeep, they'll think of one of these. They stopped making cherokees, changed the TJ, got rid of the 4.0L, and made these things.
No kidding, lately I get the impression that by the time I can afford the Rubi I want, the only thing it'll have in common with new Jeeps is the name. Seriously, how can you call a PT Loser a Jeep? 172 hp is enough to "pass on the highway with ease" ? Pass what? The jackass on a moped...

Really though, I like the TJ so much, why stop making something that can show up so many other vehicles for way less money? That seems like a great marketing strategy to stick with.

Learn to swim."
swedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #40
cmhj2000
AF Regular

I'm giving one a serious look. My driving is all hiway, could care less about 4WD etc.

Owned 3 jeeps in the past, all were Grands. This "FWD" Jeep would be a first for me but I like the way it handles on the highway, how easy it is to drive and how well it personally fits my 6"3" 265# lard aZZ.
cmhj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #41
sevenslotgrill
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhj2000
I'm giving one a serious look. My driving is all hiway, could care less about 4WD etc.

Owned 3 jeeps in the past, all were Grands. This "FWD" Jeep would be a first for me but I like the way it handles on the highway, how easy it is to drive and how well it personally fits my 6"3" 265# lard aZZ.
The Compass should be ok for a pavement pounder. The Patriot is out now too and is the same platform. Both should be ok street vehicles. There's also the Caliber. All FWD with "a little" 4wd ability available as an option. If all you're looking for is "street" use these 3 should be ok for that and get much better gas mileage than a RWD Jeep.

If you need 4wd capability, wrangler is first (yj,tj, and now jk) and kj is second. Kj will also tow 5000lbs properly equipped. The FWD Jeeps won't compare to these off-road.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #42
cmhj2000
AF Regular

Quote:

Gave the Compass and Patriot a good lookover this weekend.

Think if I were to go this route I'd go with Patriot as it should have better resale value.

Fender shapes etc. mean nothing to me. Just want 4 wheels and like the interior space on both.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #43
skyline7
Banned

So far, I have no complaints. It’s running very well. The parts are tough. I make it a point to check every single part so as to avoid any problem in the road. Hopefully, I haven’t had any trouble with it during rush. I got to replace some its performance pulleys last week and I’m fortunately enough that it’s only the part that I needed to purchase for it this month.
skyline7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #44
Elk
AF Regular

Quote:
Wait let me make sure I understand this: All your driving is all highway so your going to get a compact that gets the worst highway fuel economy possible?

You do realize that the Dodge Caliber (which is the same car) and comes with a 1.8L I4 that gets 28/32 while the 2.4L Compass gets 26/30 (and the AWD version only gets 25/29).

If you are going to buy a compact from Chrysler buy the Caliber. Don’t buy one of these fake Jeeps it will just encourage Chrysler to build more of them.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #45
cmhj2000
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk
Wait let me make sure I understand this: All your driving is all highway so your going to get a compact that gets the worst highway fuel economy possible?

You do realize that the Dodge Caliber (which is the same car) and comes with a 1.8L I4 that gets 28/32 while the 2.4L Compass gets 26/30 (and the AWD version only gets 25/29).

If you are going to buy a compact from Chrysler buy the Caliber. Don’t buy one of these fake Jeeps it will just encourage Chrysler to build more of them.
I fully realize the MPG rating on all Jeeps FWIW.

However, my intended useage makes a caliber less than perfect. I have a Vibe for that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Compass