Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

02 Liberty starting issues

I have a 02 Liberty limited w/ 76K auto,3.7ltr. Have noticed in the morning that it is hard to start, takes at least 2 tries to get started. Took it to the dealer, they cleaned the injectors, they siad because of a code about #1 cylinder misfire. They tested coils and plugs,ok. they said that they did a compressing test, and checked the fuel pressure. They said that the fuel pump failed the bleed -down test, they are recommending changing the fuel pump, they are not sure if this is still the issue though. Should I let them, or should I try changing the fuel pressure regulator first. They quoted me $500+ to do the job. Already spent too much, and still not fixed. Other than the starting problem it runs fine, accels very well, no stalling.
gtmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: 02 Liberty starting issues

I would not replace the fuel pump based on their test. Usually when an electric fuel pump dies it dies a rapid death. Change the fuel pressure regulator and see what happens. As far as the starting problem, have you changed the air filter lately. I had a car once that when the air filter got dirty it did exactly the same thing you say yours is doing. As far as the misfire on #1 invest in a new set of plug wires. They may be breaking down and causing a slight misfire condition. By the way replacing the fuel pump is about a $500 job for parts and labor so they are quoting you a correct price.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply GTP Dad, With doing some research I found out a couple things that might be of some use to others. First, to change the fuel pump and module you DO NOT have to drop the tank, there is an access panel under the back seat. Next, the fuel pump and the module are ONE assembly, there is a new mod to the system that will cost you an extra $42 at the dealer, some wiring upgrade tot he assembly. The Module contains check valves to hold the pressure, no regulator on the fuel rail it is ALL in the gas tank. If you have issues with your liberty Email me I have the diagnosic print out from JD. Hope this helps some one.
gtmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Thanks, gtmud. That is good information to know. Currently mine is still under warranty and hope it stays that way for a few more years.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
gbic1
AF Regular

So the module fixed yours? My neighbor has one doing the same thing. Was going to do a pump leak don test tommorrow.
1988 Bronco 351 C6
1964 Galaxie 428 4sp project
1995 Mustang 3.8 Auto
1966 Mustang Fast back Project
1994 Tracer Trio 1.9
1968 F250 Camper Special 390
gbic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
kv4kj
AF Newbie

@gtmud.. I need your help please. I just replaced my starter in Nov 2014 with new one. Then I replaced my radiator in Feb 2015 with new one. Then I replaced my battery in May 2015 with new one. Now my jeep won't turn over and start for the last 3 days!!!!!.. Will you send me the schematic that you have so that I can check the electrical system and other areas. Thank you!!

BTW... my flashers on left driver side won't work and same side headlight won't turn on but ALL other lights work without any issues. . Fuses have been changed. I haven't changed any relays .. What should I dooooo??!!? I live my '02 jeep ren!!!
kv4kj is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty