Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
klinad
AF Newbie

NEED HELP how to deal with used spray cans/aerosol cans

I bought some spray cans, but i don't want to use them any longer, cause the finish was so bad. Now it comes to the problem that, how do i deal with those spray cans, THEY ARE NOT EMPTY CANS, i just don't want to use them any more. Shall i throw it into the bin directly or make some treatments before i do so?
Thank you very much!
P.S. i am now living in UK.
klinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Re: NEED HELP how to deal with used spray cans/aerosol cans

Not sure what organization controls your waste pick up/ landfill in the UK but contact them. Here in Canada when I go to the dump I can take paint/cans etc to their hazardous materials area and drop it off. If they are empty we can now just put them in the "blue box" recycling for weekly pick up. So contact the sanitation department, they'll be able to tell you how to get rid of the cans safely and legally.

What type of paint are you using that its came out so bad that you just want to get rid of the paint? I've been using spray cans for a long time and rarely do I have a bad can. Usually if there is any issue with the paint not looking right it has to due with me not doing my prep correctly. If you're using an airbrush now maybe you can decant the paint and airbrush it on instead of just wasting it.

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griffin-gt40 For This Useful Post:
klinad (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
bradfordian
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinad View Post
I bought some spray cans, but i don't want to use them any longer, cause the finish was so bad. Now it comes to the problem that, how do i deal with those spray cans, THEY ARE NOT EMPTY CANS, i just don't want to use them any more. Shall i throw it into the bin directly or make some treatments before i do so?
Thank you very much!
P.S. i am now living in UK.
decant the contents if enough into tamiya jars, let what comes out degass for a couple hours then seal.use it as is in your airbrush or even thin a little more.

when nothing comes out the gas is gone, just throw either in bin or recycle as metal.

Its easy to decant theres loads if videos, I bought bunch of straws from tesco that fit perfect on tamiya nossle without any aid.
bradfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bradfordian For This Useful Post:
klinad (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
klinad
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin-gt40 View Post
Not sure what organization controls your waste pick up/ landfill in the UK but contact them. Here in Canada when I go to the dump I can take paint/cans etc to their hazardous materials area and drop it off. If they are empty we can now just put them in the "blue box" recycling for weekly pick up. So contact the sanitation department, they'll be able to tell you how to get rid of the cans safely and legally.

What type of paint are you using that its came out so bad that you just want to get rid of the paint? I've been using spray cans for a long time and rarely do I have a bad can. Usually if there is any issue with the paint not looking right it has to due with me not doing my prep correctly. If you're using an airbrush now maybe you can decant the paint and airbrush it on instead of just wasting it.

David
The paint i used just seem to be like it took forever to dry... It is very humid here so maybe it is the case. it seems that the landfill accepts empty cans. i am now trying to donate it cause i did found some paint reuse organizations.
klinad is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling