Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Disabling Passlock?

I found some various info on the forum, but Id like to get some verification before I attempt this.

Im having intermittent problems where the car refuses to start with a flashing SECURITY light, then wait 10-15 mins and it starts. Definitely a pain, and always happens at bad times.

Here are a couple excerpts from certain posts.

Quote:
To disable the Passlock 1 or 2---- find the 3 (small 22 gauge) wires connected at the top of your Ignition Lock Cylinder-- Yellow(Key Reference),Black and White.(Wrapped in Black friction tape.) Start your car and cut the Yellow wire or just unplug the connector with all 3 wires. This breaks the Key Reference circuit while the engine is running. This puts the BCM into what GM calls "fail -enable" mode. Your Security/anti-theft light will come on and stay on continuously. Passlock is now Disabled until you reconnect the plug or Yellow wire. Tape up both ends of the yellow wire and don't ever reconnect. This doesn't even reset if you disconnect the battery. You'll get another couple of years out of the Ignition Lock Cylinder.

And another:

Quote:
OK I've read the service manuals, and it sure seems doable. This should cure any problems with the antitheft kicking in and not allowing the car to start. This is also a far better way than installing a switch like so many have done on here before. Now, remember this is free advice so I'm not responsible for anything that may go wrong with you trying to do this....

You cut the RCode wire and wire a (PL2 acceptable) resistor across the the cut wire and the PL ground. A resistor that would be within the normal range for the passlock system this could be almost anything since there is a very broad range for this. When doing remote starters, I've seen these be anywhere from 1,000 to 56,000 ohms. Now this proceedure is how to replace and program a new cyl. lock yourselves without having to go to the dealer for them to "unlock" the system.

1. Attempt to start car; it will crank and fail, with the security light flashing. Leave the ignition on for 10 minutes, until the security light goes out.

2. Repeat step 1, two more times.

3. Car should now have learned its new key cylinder, or in this case, new resistor.
With that said, I personally like the resistor idea because that way I wont have too have the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Now I do have a couple questions:

1. Is the RCode wire mentioned in the 2nd quote the same yellow wire mentioned in the first quote?

2. What is a PL2 resistor? Is this available at an electronics store, such as Radioshack. Also what does it mean by PL ground? Would both ends of the cut yellow wire go into the resistor, or does it have its own ground? I know its not terribly difficult, I just dont do electronic stuff much haha.

3. Has anyone actually successfully done this before?

It just seems like a better option to spend 5 bucks and accomplish the same thing that a new 75 dollar ignition switch would.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
tmartin000
AF Newbie

Re: Disabling Passlock?

What you are attempting is taking a normal resistor and putting it in between the yellow wire and the bl/wh wire. There will be a series of colored bands that will indicate what the rating is. Don't worry about which way to orient the resistor, both dirrections will work the same.

As far a the Pl type, it's not complicated. There are several different types of resistors, the PL type is one that looks like below...

http://www.audionote.co.uk/comp/imag...ntalums_01.jpg

Radio shack will have them, prob under a buck!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

I cant remember what the ignition switch wiring looks like, its been a while since Ive been in there, I remember the 2 or 3 wire plug on the top where these wires are, but I cant remember how theyre routed.

So does it matter where the resistor is installed in the wiring? Or just so long as it is between the two wires? Is there an in or out orientation that needs to be taken care of on the wiring?

Is there a particular resistance value that you recommend?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
tmartin000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov
I cant remember what the ignition switch wiring looks like, its been a while since Ive been in there, I remember the 2 or 3 wire plug on the top where these wires are, but I cant remember how theyre routed.

So does it matter where the resistor is installed in the wiring? Or just so long as it is between the two wires? Is there an in or out orientation that needs to be taken care of on the wiring?

Is there a particular resistance value that you recommend?

From the sounds of the post from above, I would simply unplug the harness with the yellow and blk/wht wires--That way it isn't looking for the circuit that it is plugged into for a signal it will never get. Then peel back insulation (maybe 1/4") on the yellow wire and the blk/wh wire. Lay the resistor across the two now bare/expossed wires. Maybe you could simply twist the bare wire around the stiff wire of the resistor. (Remember, you don't care which way the resistor points--there is no wrong dirrection, resistance is the same either way) If you insert the resister they way I describe, you can always put electrical tape over the bare wires, and plug back into the circuit if you decide this project doesn't work. If It does, you then could snip off the connector and end-butt connector the wires to the wire-end of resistor.

As far as the correct resistance goes, I would buy three.
1. 1K (1000 ohm)
2. 20K (20,000 ohm)
3. 50K (I hope you see where this is going )

Try them one at a time.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
dtownfb
AF Regular

I would be disappointed Littlehoov if after posting those wonderful directions on accessing the ignition switch, you didn't simply replace the igntion switch. A new ignition switch fix my no-starting issues. Hopefully I don't have to worry about it for another 7 years.
dtownfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Tobey
AF Regular

Heh, I was just going to say... He's like the ignition switch king. It would be extremely ironic if he overlooked the ignition switch as the source of the problem.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Oh Im completely aware the ignition switch is the problem haha. But the actual switch is working just peachy right now.

So Id rather fix the stupid Passlock issue for 5 dollars than 75. One of the many things I am is cheap

Ok, so when the resistor is installed, the little harness will actually be unplugged from the switch? Thats what is messing with my brain.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Hoppy2
AF Regular

Don't unplug anything. Just cut the proper wire and solder in the resistor. I did it a year ago and have had no issues. I had to do it so I could install my remote starter system.
Hoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Well thats great, Im glad it worked for ya. So does it only go in the yellow wire?

So if I cut the yellow wire, it doesnt matter which cut end I install the resistor in, and it doesnt matter where on the black wire I splice into? That doesnt make any sense to me.

The circuit has to be completed somehow right? The two wires come out of the body of the switch then end in that plug but which way does the signal actually go?

This is so simple I know, but Im having a mental block.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Hoppy2
AF Regular

If I remember correctly, you strip - not cut - the black wire to expose some wire. You cut the yellow wire and take your ohm meter and measure the resistance between the black wire and the yellow wire on the ignition switch side. Do not measure it on the car side to black, you will not get a reading, and if you do it is just purly coincidence. You will not get a resistance reading unless the key is switched to the on or start position as well.

Once you determine the resistance, purchase a package of low wattage mixed value resistors. Simply mix and match a few of them in the pack to the resistance equivalent to the switch's resistance. Solder them all together and put them between the black wire and the non switch side of the yellow wire. I did not hook the yellow wire from the switch back up. Tape the end of it so it doesn't short out.

Start your car and you're good to go. Just tape up any bare connections and that is it. You have defeated the anti theft system of the car.

As I said earlier, make sure you verify which wire to cut and which wire to strip. I cannot remember which one it is off hand, but it does involve the yellow and black. Do not touch the white wire.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Tobey
AF Regular

Yes, never ever touch the white wire. It initiates the launch sequence...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

If I dont have an ohm meter and pick a resistance value somewhere in the middle, can I just install it, then perform a re-learn procedure? Will it see it as a new lock cylinder?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
Hoppy2
AF Regular

I've never done this, and I would recommend purchasing an ohm meter as they are relatively inexpensive. You can go out and buy one for $5 on sale, or if you want you can spend 100 times that amount. A cheap one will do you. Get one with a digital readout though.

It is totally up to you if you want to do the relearn procedure. I am not the guy to ask about that though. It is so simple to check the resistance and just team up a few resistors to get the equivalent value it isn't funny.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #14
dizzle1
AF Regular

What kind of resistors did u get and how many will be used to do this I have a digital ohm meter, my sercurity light came back after changing it from a JY GM variant car a year ago

So its the clip how many wires color of clip
dizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #15
Hoppy2
AF Regular

Just get small wattage resistors. Get the mixed package from Radio Shack. You will have more than enough resistors to mix and match to get the proper value.

You may use only one resistor if you get lucky. You may have to use as many as 4 or 5 in series to get the proper value. Just take the value from the car and make a set of resistors to match that value.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue