Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 06:40 PM   #1
(_S200_)
AF Newbie

Lightbulb is modeling sociably acceptable?

hey i was wondering what you guys thought...is scale modeling cars sociably acceptable? and what do non modelers think of you when you tell them you build cars...
(_S200_) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Something like..............Oh really, i used to do that when i was a kid !!!??????!!!!!!!

Later, Mike.

mike united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
KillerSi
AF Newbie

Most people say "That's for kids!"

But show them a finished kit and they usually shut the f up and start drooling and making stupid noises.
KillerSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
bjolletts
AF Newbie

Im a non-modeller ... and I think its very cool that people model ...

But Im a car freak so maybe that makes it easier to understand why peple model ?

anyway ... I kind of get the feeling that modelling Aircraft or Ships is more acceptalbe in some way ? more "serious"

But .. cars rock
bjolletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: is modeling sociably acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike united
Something like..............Oh really, i used to do that when i was a kid !!!??????!!!!!!!
exacly what everyone say... but when i show them and tell them it can be near 100$Cnd for a kit, they understand
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Usually people say they did that once or twice when they were kids. But then they see the cars and are like "Woah, well I never did that when I was a kid." And, for some reason, chicks are usually impressed. I think it's got something to do with manual dexterity.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
z33guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to z33guy
I like it because i get to experience cars i might never be able to see. And I collect diecast and stuff as well.
z33guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:34 PM   #8
supratuner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to supratuner Send a message via Yahoo to supratuner
i get different opinions, depends on the person, if its some one that is into cars (usually guys) they are like, cool. If its like a girl friend or some thing then they kinda act different towards it, then i show them my web site and theyre like, wow how do you afford all these cars?? (yes, blonde moments by them all)
supratuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:36 PM   #9
Camber
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Camber Send a message via Yahoo to Camber
I try not to let them know, but if they do i get made fun of.. Especially with my generation.. One kid would always make fun when his friends were around, then play it cool when we we're alone. So i smashed a Boogie board in half over his head, and it was over.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
RyanGiorgio
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RyanGiorgio Send a message via MSN to RyanGiorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSi
Most people say "That's for kids!"

But show them a finished kit and they usually shut the f up and start drooling and making stupid noises.
LMAO. I definately think of modelling as an art and not just a "kid" activity. I just don't think people realize the effort put in until they see the end result.

05' Civic Si - Tokico D-Specs/Progress Springs/Progress Rear Sway/CorSport Endlinks/Ingalls Torque Dampner/Energy Suspension Motor Mounts/Falken Ziex/HFP Spoiler/RSX Rims
RyanGiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:43 PM   #11
circuitR
AF Enthusiast

Most people roll their eyes and say "oh ok, is'nt that for kids" then when people come over to my flat and see all my models on the coffee table, they're like,"man, these are awsome man!" and a bunch of questions start coming out and next thing I know I've got friends coming over with kits that they want me to build.
Dos'nt bother me though, I'm just a japanese car freak.
I just wish they were real......one day.....someday......
Old 08-19-2003, 11:00 PM   #12
yellow15
AF Regular

my friends (most are 25-30 yo) don't think it's a kids hobby at all when they know i'm into modelling. They just think it is a normal hobby like computer,music,sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitR
Dos'nt bother me though, I'm just a japanese car freak.
hey i thought you just built a Mini!!! i know japanese love minis but it doesn't make it a japanese car!

DRAW PHOTOGRAPHY
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:31 AM   #13
Alien
AF Regular

Sometimes i take people to my computer and show them the af modeling galery all they do is
Old 08-20-2003, 04:14 AM   #14
Dublinguy
AF Regular

Sorry but not to sound like a complete ass and I think the guys here that know me know that I am not one but who gives a flying f***.

Firstly the hobby is for your own enjoyment no matter your reason for it. Whether it be for stress relief, to escape from your normal day to day things ie work, school.

Secondly you are not harming anyone in anyway. Although you might build a model alone modelling is still a very sociable activity. Well certainly for people who are lucky enough to have access to the different model shows and the like that are on. In reality the only person you might be hurting would be your girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance/wife/lover only because you pay more attention to your models then your significant other.

Thirdly (im nearly finished I swear) certainly for younger generations I think its a fantastic past-time, it teaches them a lot, patience, discipline,respect and of course some of the skills acquired may point them towards a career they may never have thought of.

As for me, well my parents know I enjoy it but dont say much some friends know and one in particular gives me stick for acting like a kid but she is only pulling my leg and my gorgeous fiance supports me doing it. Actually its a relief for her because if I am annoying her (happens a lot) she just tells me to go play with my models. Ah just realised why I annoy her so much

Ok I have said more then enough, only 6 more hours an I can go home to work on my models.

Ciaran
Dublinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:39 AM   #15
cyclone1410
Honda Convert

I can only agree. This hobby is purely for your own enjoyment. If any your friends truly believe you are weird for doing it, well they don't deserve to be your friend. My friends and my family (especially my son) fully support what I do. It keeps me from wandering down to the pub too much and it is a great way to while away some quiet time at home.

Now to answer the main question of the topic, I believe that it is a socially acceptable thing to do, however I think, to some degree anyway, that it is modellers who are afraid to own up to doing it that help perpetuate this myth.