Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
jarl
AF Newbie

'94 TS: transmission grinding in Park

As title says: My '94TS produces a grinding sound when the transmission is in Park. I saw there's a TSB about this, but I wonder if someone has dealt with this before, or has the text of the TSB.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: '94 TS: transmission grinding in Park

Can you capture the "grinding" with the sound record feature of a digital camera and post it ? Does the sound change with engine rpm, temperature...?
Anyway, I think you are referring to a common complaint, whirring, whining...whatever the name...and this is common to almost all GM transmission types. mine has been doing a "noise" for years....and I think it has to do with the pressure regulator....and beside being annoying, seems to have no adverse effect. If more details aare available, I'll be glad to learn...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Meridivs
AF Regular

Lightbulb Re: '94 TS: transmission grinding in Park

Can you hear the sound if you put the transmission in Park with the brake pedal pressed/parking brake on?

In my Pontiac TS's the transmission has a low "humming" sound if the car moves a bit after I put it in Park (when I release the service break).

If I put it in Park after I set the Parking Break - the wheels stay immobile - there's no sound coming from the transmission.
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
jarl
AF Newbie

Re: '94 TS: transmission grinding in Park

@LMP: I'm thinking about doing exactly that, but with some driving included... I'm usually good at diagnosing problems by the sound, but this car's undehood is such a noisy area it's hard to discern anything

@Meridivs: Yep... you described the problem exactly. The noise occurs only when the Park is holding the car.

I've seen reports about this, but I just can't believe such a noise is "normal". Let's rephrase that... It may be "normal" in that lots of cars have the same issue, but it can't be too healthy for the transmission. There must be something rubbing against another component to produce that sound.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
Meridivs
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: '94 TS: transmission grinding in Park

If it helps:

I've asked a transmission shop about this issue on my car and they said there's no problem/worth opening the transmission for repair.

The only conclusion was not to let the van "hang" in the drive-train Park mode but apply the Parking brake first before releasing the Service Brake.
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport