Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
raymarquise
AF Newbie

'95 wipers stuck

My wipers are sometimes staying stuck in the up position or in the middle of the windscreen with the switch in the 'on' position. I have to push on the wiper to get it going again. Do I need to remove the wiper motor unit to lubricate the parking mechanism??
Thanks.

Last edited by raymarquise; 11-30-2005 at 06:19 AM.
raymarquise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: '95 wipers stuck

If the wiper transmission is anything like the 97 and later models, there is a catch on the underside that either breaks or gets bent out of the way. The wipers should run backwards and catch, but with the catch bent, doesn't so the wipers go up instead of park.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
raymarquise
AF Newbie

Where is the catch located??
Old 11-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Last edited by LMP; 11-30-2005 at 07:42 AM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymarquise
Where is the catch located??
Based off of what LMP posted, I don't think the '95 used the same type of system. So you can probably ignore what I said.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
raymarquise
AF Newbie

Thanks for the links - they were a HUGE help in getting the motor out.
I took the circuit board off - the solder joints seem fine, but the tip of one of the brushes comming off the board is worn (I guess they are brushes or contacts). Could this be the culprit?? Can I replace the brushes?? or the whole board???
Inside there is what seems to be a toothed plastic wheel with LOTS of grease on top. From another post I kind of thought this would be dry and in need of grease. Should I try to take the wheel off?? Still can't figure out how this makes the wipers park.

Thanks for all the help I've gotten. I feel I should put a check in the mail......lol.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
raymarquise
AF Newbie

Anyone knows if I need to remove the crank arm nut and take the commutator rings out to grease them?? or just pack grease into the housing under the pulse board???
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
LMP
AF Enthusiast

With PCboard removed, you have full access to the ring and PCBoard contactors so I see no reason to dismantle more than that. Just ensure the sprnged contactors do make contact woth the ring and this should ensure wipers returning to park when turned off. I do not have exactly the logic but I think the wiper switch (through the pcboard logic, timed pulses, etc) just excites the small segment that takes the wipers off park and from then on, the wipers continue the full cycle back to park from the long segment. IF at some place the large segment looses contact, wipers stop in the middle of the run.
On return to park, if small segment is not excited then wipers stay there (parked) but if small segment is excited, it passes out of park..and then again receives juice for the rest of the cycle from the long segment..and repeats. So I think the long segment contactor can be the problem...or some cracked solder linked to contact plays tricks.
PCboard is known to be a really common source of problem, there have been dozens oc ocurences on this forum and other GM products so I would not rule out redoing the solders or ordering a replacement on Ebay.
Mine has restarted playing tricks recently and I'll redo the soldering again; honestly, last time I did it, I needed a strong magnifying glass to really see the cracks..so I remelted as many solder points as I could...., that was less than 2 y ago.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #9
raymarquise
AF Newbie

Thanks LMP. I found a post elsewhere that says if the old grease hardens it will lift the contactors off the ring - I think thats my problem. I will remove the old grease ( which is indeed hard) and relube it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD