Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
allen405
AF Newbie

'95 trans sport alt issue

it has the 3.1 v6. The problem is that it keeps wrecking alternators. It's a serpentine belt system and the alt is hard mounted so there is no adjustment, but after a couple of months the alt gets noisey like the bearings are going out. Has anyone had this issue before?
allen405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: '95 trans sport alt issue

THe belt tension in maintained by a tensioner pulley, the spring or the tensioner applying the needed pressure. Is there any possibility that the original belt was replaced qith a shorter one, cranking the tensioner more than it should be? I think the 3.1 must use an additional idler if the a/c compressor is discarded: a change in belt routing due to a different idler diameter may force to an improper change of belt length.
Other than these possible factors, I do not see why it would start to ruin the alt bearing.

ALso, long time ago, while still under garantee, I had a noise condition on mine where they had changed the alternator ....to no avail as it was finally the a/c compressor free wheel bearing .