Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
318power
AF Newbie

Wiring/Alternator prob Heeeeelp!

K, im cruising, my radio starts to die, than my timing goes nuts and throttle response starts going screwy, all my gauges go to 0, odometer, windows everything off, but the engine is still running but the throttle wont open up, finnaly it stalls. I can jump start it, but it just happens again and dies after running fine for about 5 minutes. My mechanic has the god darn flu! someone if u know whats up or have an idea replY!
BTW lol 1992 318i (e36)
318power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
ironman502
AF Regular

Sounds like a bad alternator. It's odd that you can still start the car after it dies, but BMW alternators do wierd things when they go bad (like mine, which acted up only at idle at red stoplights, and no more than once a day ). I got mine rebuilt for $75 (new ones are pricey) and have had no problems since then.
'87 Shelby Lancer #340
'00 Dodge Neon

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Rom. 5:1)
ironman502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
318power
AF Newbie

aye

aye, alternator, cost me 400$ to replace
Funny thing was I had just gotten my dinan chip and I was worried those nuts might have fooked something up and my ecu got ruined somehow
318power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
KC Ron Carter
AF Enthusiast

Voltage regulator fixes most

Alternator Regulator

They can wear into a grooved pattern and the impact of driving can make them vibrate out of the normal groove.

Since the regulator has to increase output to jump the gap it does.

You can clean up the slider rings with abrasive paper.

You can get the brushes as a separate part requiring soldering skills or you can get a Regulator brush assembly for $70.

Some instruction for changing:

It is a very touchy installation and about 5% of the installation end in the ground link bent and the alternator not functional.

You can remove correct and reinstall the regulator.

The output must be 14.25 or higher on a Volt Ohm Meter not the dash gauge.

Some hints on the regulator change.

Replacing Alternator Regulator

For those who work on their cars and have not had alternator problems, here is a simple action that should save you down-time and significant costs.

Most alternators on German cars fail due to brushes wearing down (as they are supposed to) between 150k and 200K miles. Brush replacement is very easy -- it should not take over 20 min. and the brushes are attached to a new regulator.

To replace regulator assembly -- back of alternator held in place with two straight slot headed screws. This has a round transistor mounted on the outside on Bosch alternators -- the other type is similar but uses different brushes. Pop the regulator out, after removing the screws.

Fitting the regulator back is simple, but you must install it starting at an angle, to assure that the brushes compress when the regulator is flush with the alternator and the screws are tightened.
You are now ready for 200K miles of alternator life.

Later,

KC Ron Carter is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series