Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Where Is The Radiator Fan Relay Swich Located

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay.jones View Post
I have a 99 Grand Cherokee...if the fan continues to run until I disconnect my battery would that mean my fan relay is bad or my coolant sensor is bad?
Fan Relay. Your coolant sensor gets turned off when the vehicle goes off.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
clay.jones
AF Newbie

OK so the coolant sensor was cheaper but I replaced the fan relay and now all is well...well except for my thermostat is now sticking...blaaah but I love my jeep so I guess I'll just replace it and keep on going
clay.jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
chief3277
AF Newbie

for any one with a 2001 jeep grand cherokee looking for a fan relay location other than in your normal under hood compartment.all the threads about takin front bumper off and takin out battery and all this other stuff is wrong.this is all you need to do popout your passenger headlight look to your left you will see plastic covering there ar no wires in the way cut a 2 to 3 in square an you will see the fan relay unbolt from frame get new one replace an that is it.takes 15 to 20 mins to do o there is one screw to take off an that is the one holding headlight nothing more to take off leave other things alone you make to much work doin everything else.
chief3277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
mtulett1
AF Newbie

its in a weird spot....I was told to take the passengerside headlight out and cut a section away in the bottom and it should be right there. That is supposed to be the easiest way other than taking the front bumper off...hopefully someone can verify this to be sure so don't attempt until someone else says this is correct. Good luck
mtulett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
blaze1170
AF Newbie

02 Jeep GC. fan stayed on last nite after shut down, had to jump this morning, fan still running. dealer said relay switch needs replaced. On way to get, fan stopped, started overheating. cooled down, got to family garage and went to get new relay. Installed and still no fan running. We are stumped. checked plug ins and fan itself, still nothing. Help!
blaze1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Blaze, Welcome to AF. It's usually best to start a new thread...but since you've posted here:

The fan doesn't run until either the vehicle reaches a certain temperature, or in some cases when the AC is turned on.

I'd suggest starting it and letting it run for about 20 minutes, keeping an eye on the temperature gauge and watching for the fan to come on.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
dornier34
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dornier34
Re: Where Is The Radiator Fan Relay Swich Located On A 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lared

Yes this is the way how to change the relay fan in jeep. easy and fast just drill a small about 2" diameter hole to have easy access to the relay good job
dornier34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
IAmGoo
AF Newbie

I drive a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD. The radiator fan continue to run when I parked it at work, later that night the battery was dead, I jumped started it and drove home. The Relay shorted out-no big deal, I found out the relay is located below the passenger side headlamps. Remove the one screw holding the headlamp in place, pull out the whole headlamp assembly. The plastic fascia was already cut, so I think it was repaired when it left the factory. I the original owner. Cut the plastic to get easy access to the relay. Release the red locking tab, pull out the socket, remove and replace the relay.
Later, years later, the fan stopped working again, so I thought it must be the relay. Nope, after 11 years the radiator fan motor stopped, must be all the carbon dust build up. Use a continuity meter to check the motor, then run voltage to the motor and see if it runs, mine didn't until I helped it start spinning. Becareful not to get caught in the engine belt. Removing the radiator shroud is a little bit tricky. I had to remove the radiator hose and pulled the shoud straight up. Remove the bolts holding the shroud in place and disconnect the motor connection plug. Remove the locking ring for the fan blades, disassemble the fan motor from the shroud, try knocking the motor assembly and see how much carbon comes out. You can try blowing the carbon out while you turn the motor shaft. I saved some money by cleaning the motor out. I'll have to buy a new motor if it goes out again.
1. fan relay bad.
2. blew fuse in power distribution
3. control for relay is from powertrain control module
4. B+ side of the relay is hot to ground.
5. Output side will be hot to ground when the relay is switched on. A/C running or engine at temperature.

Took me a while to get it all figured out. Hope this helps anybody with the same problem.
IAmGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #24
grandcherokeegirl
AF Newbie

Re: Where Is The Radiator Fan Relay Swich Located On A 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D. View Post
It's under the passenger side headlight.
Click here for details.

http://rigs.corequipment.com/cebby_W...ling.htm#relay

Before starting any work on the relay I would make certain it isn't a bad electric fan.
I am so thankful for this post and the link that was with it. I did not have the right tool to cut the plastic, so still had to take car to shop. However, I gave them permission to cut a hole in the plastic part (instead of removing front of car) and saved $100+ dollars on the servicing of this item. Not perfect, and not cheap, but better than a full price dew job. Thanks again.
grandcherokeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
rollo3
AF Newbie

I also own a 2000 jeep grand cherokee and am about to replace my fan relay switch for the 3rd time...what i found out today is the contacts on the connector plug can burn off and they make a replacement connector for this... i'm guessing there is a cycle flaw of sorts from the computer to relay as my waterpump and thermostat and fan have all been replaced... this seems to be a real common problem...i'm going today to buy new connector and relay switch and see if it fixes it totally... will post how i make out.
rollo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
pappap29
AF Newbie

radiator fans

I have a 05 grand prix and my radiator fans don't come on when I start my car. Is that normal or what...I started my car at one point n I hit the gas then the fans came on..are they suppose to do that ?someone please get back with me on this...thanks
pappap29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
ScottInAtlanta
AF Newbie

A few years ago my temperature gauge maxed out into the red on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I immediately pulled into a Goodyear service center. I paid them $75 to diagnose the problem and was told that my radiator fan motor wasn't working.

I received an estimate of over $1,200.00 because they told me that I had to buy a whole new radiator fan unit because you couldn't buy just the motor. And I was told that to replace it would entail taking off the bumper, removing the front end of the car, etc. Which was why it was soooo expensive to fix.

I didn't have that much money so I drove home (turning off engine at every stop) and did some testing myself. I ran a wire directly from positive terminal of my batter to the fan motor's positive lead and guess what? The fan worked. The experts that charged me $75.00 to diagnose the problem were wrong.

So I installed a switch between my battery and the fan's motor and when I drove the Jeep I would just switch the fan on. Not the best solution, but it worked until I could solve the real problem.

I also pulled out my repair manual for my Jeep and found that the fan's housing unit can be pulled straight out by removing just a couple of bolts.

I went back to Goodyear and got my $75 back.

After some research and eliminating various causes I found out that the problem was probably the fan relay. I didn't want to cut through the plastic behind the headlight if I could help it so I found a local mechanic that replaced the relay for $50 plus parts (around $50 more).

I told him that I had read you could cut through the plastic and I didn't want that done. He told me that he could reach behind the housing (because he had small hands) and didn't have to remove the bumper. He said it was still a big chore, and I thought $50 was a bargain. Especially compared to the $1,200.00 estimate I had received earlier.

I used him 3 more times over the next 3 years because the relay was going out about once a year.

Then yesterday it happened again so I decided to bite the bullet and cut through the plastic and replace it myself. I brought out my Dremel tool and pulled out the passenger headlight and guess what? There was big hole already cut exposing the fan's relay. The mechanic that had been doing what I thought was an amazing job had lied to me about the way he was replacing the relay.

So now I can easily replace it myself AND I'm going to save my receipt because the fan relay has a lifetime warranty. Now instead of paying $100 a year, I can do it myself in 5 minutes for free.
ScottInAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #28
ffwv
AF Newbie

Re: Where Is The Radiator Fan Relay Swich Located On A 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Changed mine this weekend Thanks for the tips and pics They made my job much easier
ffwv is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8