Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
skandalousX
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to skandalousX
Just picked up my X, 4x4/offroading questions

Alright, as the title says I just picked up my '04 Xterra, silver, with the sport, power, and towing packages.

Looking to offroad it, but I have no clue where to start when it comes to replacing parts. I used to have an '00 Grand Am GT with about $15k dropped into it, it was an 11 sec. fwd car.

Things I was thinking about: 32" bf a/t tires, calamini 3" lift, steering dampener, calamini front bumper, and any other opinions/help is greatly appreciated! Not sure what weak points on the X are, so thanks for the help!
skandalousX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
pnwbeers
AF Newbie

The tires are the most important upgrade. I have the KOs, and I'd really recommend them - it performs better than any other AT tire offroad. The weak link on an Xterra is the steering system. If you lift, you will need to upgrade it - Calmini makes a great system, from what I understand. If you stay at stock height they steering will probably be fine. By the way, you won't need to lift to fit the 32s, they fit fine on a stock X. You should do the tires first, then take it offroad. With just a tire upgrade the X is really good offroad, you may even decide you don't need the full 3" lift. You should also upgrade your shocks fairly early on, I'm planning on getting Bilstiens.
pnwbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #3
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: Just picked up my X, 4x4/offroading questions

Yup, that's about spot-on. 32" tires are a great start and can be run on an otherwise stock X with a little trimming, no more. Next I'd look at skids and rocker protection (sliders) to protect your X, and then proceed to build it up from there as you see fit.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:09 PM   #4
skandalousX
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot for the help so far guys.

What do you suggest as for tires? I was looking real close at the BF Goodrich A/T's.....so thanks for the help again.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandalousX
Thanks a lot for the help so far guys.

What do you suggest as for tires? I was looking real close at the BF Goodrich A/T's.....so thanks for the help again.
pnwbeers was talking about BFG AT's when he said "KO's". They're excellent tires unless you're going in the mud a lot. Also if you buy them at Discount/America tire you can get the hazzard warranty that covers ANY offroad/on-road damage.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
skandalousX
AF Newbie

Cool, thanks again. I'll look around for a good tire shop today.

Already added some shtuff to the X..... neoprene seat covers front and back, some rubber floor mats, and tint on the front two windows to match the rest (~20%).
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
OffRoadInfoHelper
AF Newbie

You probably want a THICK Bumper. Depending on what type of off roading your may want bigger tires and as well as i just said maybe beefing up the engine.
OffRoadInfoHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
88pathyguy
AF Newbie

I have a 88 pathfinder and a 01 frontier. I have a calmini 3" lift. They are okay. You would be best with a 3" body lift then get 33x10.5 tires. I have BFG KM2's. They are really aggresive and good for everything from snow to mud and rock. I have tried all this. Here are two great sites if your looking for parts.

http://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/

Good luck out there.
88pathyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail