Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Question Mysterious Heater Problems

Salutations,

I am restoring a 1981 Toyota Pickup (Engine: 22R). Many of the classics on this thread are much older but I think I need advice from mechanics that like to work on older vehicles because my system is so basic. Here's my problem...

Water isn't flowing into my heater core (and it's not a clogged heater core - I checked). I pulled the two hoses that connect to it and I can run water into it and it comes out the other.

With a radiator cap off, I've blown into all my hoses, which caused fluid to come out of the open radiator... so it would appear that none of my hoses are clogged.

I have had the hoses disconnected with the engine running and no water is flowing in or out... the main hose (for the heater) coming off my radiator is moving some water but not enough to even warm the hose.

I have recently installed a brand new radiator, radiator cap, all the hose (except the heater hoses), thermostat and water pump. There is plenty of fluid in the radiator and the belt tension is correct. Blower works.

I checked the heater valve and could blow through it as well. I'm stumped... but I hope you're not.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Re: Mysterious Heater Problems

So... you know the part where I said I checked all the hoses... well apparently I was mistaken... but on the plus side - at least I know what's wrong.

I decided to pull the hose that feeds the fluid back into the engine, and bingo, that thing was clogged in the worse way. Clearing the hose was easy but the "nipple" it attaches to was also clogged. I spent the last of the daylight hours trying to clear it. I got A LOT of nasty out of it but not enough to get the fluid to flow. This nipple is in a terrible location: back of the engine and low (if I were to pay a garage to clear it - they'd probably tell me they'd need to remove the engine block to get to it but I'm sure there is simpler way).

Since I was out of daylight (and I have no garage) I did the only thing I could think to do. I put the hose back on and filled it with CLR so it can soak into the clot overnight. The only other thing I can think to do is to get a small plumbers snake.

I wanted to update the thread with my progress and also check to see if anyone has additional suggestions for how I can clear this "nipple" tomorrow if the CLR doesn't do what I hope it will.

This pickup is a rescue that I am restoring myself... I'm not the most experienced mechanic, but I'm capable, but there is nothing like experience... I'm hoping someone has some trial & error ideas they can share with me that I can employ tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

Good find, basics of course. Check for timing chain and tensioner wear this was common on high mileage 22r's.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Dave B.
AF Regular

Hi LadyMe

First, let me say that I've never understood why Toyota put that nipple where they did. It makes absolutely NO sense. Most manufacturers put it much higher on the engine.

Second, a disclaimer: I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK!!! I've never had to deal with this particular problem, but this would be my first thing to try: Prestone makes an inexpensive cooling system flush kit called "Flush N Fill" http://www.prestone.com/products/print/461?popup=1 (available at many auto parts stores). It's designed to clean out your cooling system, but probably wouldn't solve your problem if you used it the way Prestone intends.

However, you MIGHT get it to help clear your clog by using the kit in a slightly different way. If you (1) inserted the plastic "T" into the heater hose leading to the water pump and blocked the other end of the hose [that would normally attach to the heater - you'd have to use a brass fitting, BIG bolt, piece of a broomstick, etc.], (2) left the radiator cap on and tight and (3) started the engine (with the radiator full of water and a running garden hose attached to the threaded nipple on the T), you'd create a situation where the heat of the engine and the pressure created by the water pump would leave the water only one means of escape - the clogged nipple. You would have to make sure that the clamps securing the T and the plug were VERY tight and you would need to stay well clear of the engine compartment while you were doing this. Closing the hood would probably also be a good idea. My guess would be that the internal pressure might well push the remaining debris out of the nipple.

Edit: You might have to alternate running the engine and using a stiff piece of wire (piece of a coat hanger?) to break up the debris. You would need to let the engine cool and release the pressure on the system by opening the radiator cap each time before trying to use the wire to clean the nipple.

If you tried it and it worked, I would then flush the entire system per Prestone's instructions and refill the engine with new coolant.

A final note: Be sure to capture and properly dispose of all old coolant and clean up any that might be spilled near your work area. Ethylene glycol (the chemical that keeps anti-freeze from freezing) is extremely poisonous to humans and pets. The worst part is that it also tastes sweet and most animals will lick it up willingly. When I'm buying new anti-freeze, I always look for "contains bitterant" on the label. Bitterant makes the anti-freeze smell bad to animals and taste worse!

Good luck with your project!

Dave B.

Last edited by Dave B.; 11-26-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add text
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave B. For This Useful Post:
LadyMe (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Salutations dahlin's

Thank you both so much for your advice. I went out of town for the holidays and have recently returned. I was able to snake out the nipple. I purchases a nice snake then pulled out the snake and replaced it with my choke cable (which worked really good)... then I would cram a small rubber hose down the nipple (it would capture the ick in the hose so I could pull it out and do it again)... long job short - my coolant is making a complete loop. Yay!

So my heater still doesn't work but that's okay (for now)... because fixing this clog has made a big difference in my trucks performance. I couldn't keep a thermostat in it because the temp would get really high right before it would open... and then all my coolant would get pulled into my overflow until it emptied the radiator (crazy) but it is no longer doing that. Hurray! I can have a thermostat again!

I'm very good about chemical clean up. I've even found a garage that will dispose of my old coolant... but I wasn't aware of "contains bitterant" - that's awesome. I will look for that from now on as well. Thanks!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars