Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
jdrcop
AF Newbie

99 gsx sc to 01 Ls na 3.8 wiring problems

I have 99 gsx 3.8 sc bad tranny. I had it rebuilt 30k ago. It went out again. I bought 01 Ls with 3.8 90k miles. I did the motor and tranny switch. I used the computer and harness from 01 and no crank. I switched the computer only and got crank no start. Help?
jdrcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
jdrcop
AF Newbie

Re: 99 gsx sc to 01 Ls na 3.8 wiring problems

Anyone have any ideas. My Body control module will not let the 01 pcm crank and start. Security lite stays on. I tried the 10 minute relearn procedure and nothing. In fact I tried it several times. The 99 computer will not start the engine but will crank it. I called chevrolet today and they said call a junk yard. The jy said not compatable. There has to be a way around this. I need some expertese from the right guy. Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
StumpedGMowner1
AF Newbie

Sounds like a passlock II lock out. Do you have a resistor on the key. Will be on the part of the key you put in the ignition.
StumpedGMowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Agree....if SECURITY light is staying on, you have a PassKey problem.....

You can call Chevrolet until you are blue in the face....they are not going to fix the vehicle over the phone for you....or give you the correct info, for free.....they are in the business to make money fixing vehicles, not by dispensing diagnostic procedures for free....

Do you have PassKey II or III? II has a black resistor pellet on the shank of the key....III has a transponder in the head of the key......usually has PK3 stamped on key near head.....

There is no 10 minute procedure for PassKey(unless you have a Tech II scan tool).....to relearn a new "master" key, is a 30 minute procedure....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
StumpedGMowner1
AF Newbie

Mine is a passlock III and its a 99 buick regal ls. Bypassing this system is pain in the ass. Well not really but even if you bypass it successfully the next time you disconnect your battery or the battery dies you have to do the whole bypass procedure again. Bypassing confuses the systems hall effect switch into thinking its faulty and the ecm ops out of the hall effect reading. The one true way i have found is to install an after market remote starter. They come with a module and wirung instructions that effectively eliminate the hall effect switch in the ignition. Let us know if you have the passlock II or passlock III system before we continue.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
jdrcop
AF Newbie

I have the black pellet or resistor. It worked fine till I changed the sc engine. Now the correct ecm for the na 3.8 has me locked out. The 01 na ecm will fire the engine but no pulse on the injectors. The 99 ecm for the sc will crank the engine with spark and injector pulse but will not fire the engine. I think it floods the engine. Will flashing the 01 na ecm to my 99 work. I think I need to go from k vin code to 1 vin code? I have thougths about pulling dash harness w bcm from 01 and putting it in my 99. I pulled the sc engine out of my 99 and installed na engine complete with engine harness and ecm out of 01. I have 2 cars one is a 99 gsx regal and the other one is 01 Ls regal. So now I am trying to get my bcm to accept the 01 computer. The 01 gets the wake up wake signal but does not send the crank signal on yellow black wire that cranks the engine. I can crank the engine at the crank relay but it sputters and dies. I agree the bcm is got me locked out of the 01 ecm but it is not due to incorrect ohm reading on the key, it is because it does not like the 01 ecm.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

What we have here is a real cluster f*ck!

But you are also a little confusing......

"The 01 na ecm will fire the engine but no pulse on the injectors."
then you say......
"The 01 gets the wake up wake signal but does not send the crank signal on yellow black wire that cranks the engine."

So which is it? Does it crank and not start, or doesn't crank at all?

Let's go over a few things......you removed the SC'd engine and PCM from the '99, and installed a VIN K motor and PCM from an '01 engine, into the '99, correct?

Do both vehicles have the same SECURITY system?.....you say the '99 has a black pellet on the key......is there a black pellet on the Key for the '01?

If yes, then check the resistance of the '99 key, with the resistance of the '01 key......only a 1 in 15 chance they are the same.....so if they are not, go to a locksmith or GM dealership, have them read the R code on the '01 key.....then buy another key with that same R code, and cut it to match the '99 key and then see if the car starts.....

If the '01 key does not have a black resistor on it, than we have two different SECURITY systems here...

But this bugs me:

"The 99 ecm for the sc will crank the engine with spark and injector pulse but will not fire the engine." If you have spark and compression, and fuel pressure, that engine should start........were there any codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
StumpedGMowner1
AF Newbie

U can swap the pellets out from one key to the other. They push out only one way. I have done this many times.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
jdrcop
AF Newbie

Tech II update..... The 99 I removed the supercharged engine tranny wiring harness and ecm from the car. I used an 01 na engine tranny wiring and ecm. The result is the ecm from the 01 refused to crank. But I could crank it by jumping it at the crank relay. But the security light comes on with the 01 ecm. I did get it the car to crank and run yest by shooting a lil starting fluid to it. by using the supercharged ecm from the 99. Sometimes it will recieves the fuel pulse at the injectors in crank mode and sometimes it does not with the 99 ecm. The battery light is on but it is charging. I changed alternators with no change. The tcs light is on. Check engine light came on due to no boost signal from missing supercharger and it is natural aspirated now. Cruise control will not work. No green light on dash so it is not even turning on. Fuel mileage is shitty. Like 20 mpg compared to 26 or 27 with sc engine before. So I think i need the 01 ecm to fire the engine. I talked yest with local mech about flashing ecm before I got it to run. 250.00 and no guarantee as this is a cluster f***k.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal