Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
TESE
AF Newbie

Temperature and Fuel Gauge = Dead

Hello.
I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu, 3.1L V6
I was driving and noticed that the temperature gauge and the fuel gauge are completely dead. There is no movement at all, even when I try to start the car. I checked every possible fuse that could be related to this problem. I have read also that it could be a ground connection problem in the hood, or a resistor behind the instrument panel?
I am weary about doing anything drastic and would appreciate any help for more clarification; Mechanics are my last resort.

Any help would be appreciated,
-Joe
TESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
billw129
AF Newbie

Re: Temperature and Fuel Gauge = Dead

I have posted this in an earlier post but check to see if your passenger floor is wet. I have had a problem with a leaking seal under the wiper cowl. It started out as the 2 gauge's you speak of not working and then ended up the car not starting all together. The fuse you are looking for is under the hood. I believe it is like number 15 or so. It is almost right in the middle of the Fuse/Relay box. I think it is a 10Amp fuse. I will let you know more tomorrow but check every fuse in that compartment if you can not find it. That should fix it temporarily. but you probibly have the wet wire situation that I have. My fuse would blow if I either started the car or turned on the A/C (turning on the defroster even if the dial is set to hot turns the A/C on as well). As long as the car was running with the A/C and defroster off then I could replace the fuse and have working gauges but as soon as I either started the car or turned them on BAM there goes my fuel and temp gauge. Let me know. Thank You
billw129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
TESE
AF Newbie

Hey bill,
I really do appreciate your response.
Thank you!
The fuse was right in the middle of the fuse block, it must have slipped my mind somehow. it was a 10AMP fuse like you said.

However, I don't understand the relation to the wet wiring?

Last edited by TESE; 02-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.
TESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
billw129
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESE View Post
Hey bill,
I really do appreciate your response.
Thank you!
The fuse was right in the middle of the fuse block, it must have slipped my mind somehow. it was a 10AMP fuse like you said.

However, I don't understand the relation to the wet wiring?
You are very welcome. The wet wiring will cause a short and that will blow a fuse. My problem would happen when I A: started the car (if the car was running it would now blow) or B: turned on the A/C or defroster. Try this start up your car. Make sure that the A/C is not on and the defroster is not on. Then replace the fuse. Is the problem solved? if so take the wiper cowl off (you must remove the wiper arm's and the plastic that is under the wipers is the cowl). Make sure that all of the duct in there is sealed properly use a bunch of silicon. Sit the car in a very dry warm place for a few days. See if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't the you have to start messing with the wires under the dash. Keep in mind where your wires are going where trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem. such as the one I just described. The ignition wire and the A/C only meet in one place and that is under the dash. So if those 2 things are causing the same reaction chances are good that your problem is under the dash. Let me know about the wet floor.
billw129 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1999 , fuel , gauge , malibu , temperature
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu