Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

GTP vs. LS1 showdown

Well I talked the brother in law to come over and get a few runs in since it was dry out for a change.

I decided to drive the GTP since I wanted to give this car the best chance to win. I feel like I can drive it pretty good and I have new rubber all around. My bro in law was all to happy to take the TA for a spin. He had never driven it and I figured my GTP would do pretty good till about 80...

First run, he was behind me an we were on the phone. We couldnt get beside each other so I told him to just go and pass me if he could. We were going 30mph and I got my 3-1 downshift and I was gone I took it up to 100mph and he never passed. We pulled over to talk and he said he was starting to pull but not that hard..

Disappointed we went again and got some heads up but none from a dig because traction would have been an issue for both of us. We lined up at 30mph and again I got my downshift and instantly got about 3/4 of a car. That lasted about as long as it took for me get the 3/4 length and hepulled on me hard and kept going until around 80 where i was down 3-4 cars easily.

Next couple races were from 40 mph and 60 mph. Same outcome at 40 mph but from 60 he instantly started pulling. I'm guessing in a quarter mile it would be ugly but I ran a 13.9@99 this summer once i dropped the pulley and put on my front PEM.

TA stomps GTP ass in the end...

358rwhp/358rwtq with stock LS1 intake
A4 3.23 lid, pacesetter lts, ory, 243 heads, SLP LMI, ZO6 cam, BBK SSI intake, 85 mm
jeepgclwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT
Re: GTP vs. LS1 showdown

Nice races man. That would have been sweet to get them on video. I would think the GTP could hang down low with the LS1 but not up top. Come race the VR4!

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
AMGalltheway
AF Enthusiast

Very nice. Do you have any modding plans yet or you gonna keep her stock for now?

AMGalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

Oh I got plans. Lid, LT headers, and exhaust to start but I'm doing anything till I get it to the track and see what its got stock...

The way it pulled my GTP I'm hoping for a low 13. My friend has a set of new d/r's he said I could use at the track. He used them on his V6 Firebird. That will be the only thing not stock when I hit the track for the first time...

A4 3.23 lid, pacesetter lts, ory, 243 heads, SLP LMI, ZO6 cam, BBK SSI intake, 85 mm
Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

I see a lot of guys with F bodies talking about "doing the lid" when they talk mods. what's it actually mean? nice car by the way.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
I see a lot of guys with F bodies talking about "doing the lid" when they talk mods. what's it actually mean? nice car by the way.
the stock air box on the ls1's is extremely restrictive and meant to just "muffle" the sound of air getting into the engine, and there is an extra compartment to the stock box which dampens both noise and airflow. swapping out the "lid" is just swapping out the top half of the air box which robs a good amount of power.

STOCK AIR BOX:

AIR BOX WITH "LID":
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

it's a noticeable difference on an LS1, probably one of the best 'bang for the buck' mods you can do for the LS1 and in less than 20 minutes.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

ah, i see. thanks fellas.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
TorchedStealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TorchedStealth

Nice race man! My friend has an LS1 camaro and we made a custom intake with a cheap cone filter for like $30 and it freed it up a bit. He has SLP loudmouth exhaust too. When we race I usually get a slight lead from a 30 or 40 but by about 110 he inches past me. Those damn cars have some crazy top end, I'm sure it would get ugly if we kept going!
2005 Saturn Ion Redline - Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors|E85|Harrop TVS1320 Blower|2.9" pulley|3" Intake|Vibrant Header and catless Downpipe|Hahn 3" catback|N2MB Wot Box w/2-step and no-lift shift|Cobra Heat Exchanger|Hurst STS|Ottp Stage 1 trans mounts|AEM EUGO Wideband|Aeroforce Interceptor|HPTuners (self tuned)|Mop Top Pros Carbon Fiber badges|B&G Springs
TorchedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
lightbalt
AF Newbie

sounded fun. looking forward to see what kind of times you'll put down....
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

I cant wait either. I'm hoping for a mid-low 13.

I just found out that I have 3.23 gears. The A4 either came with 2.73 or 3.23 and I'm glad to have the 3.23's.

I'm going to throw on some d/r's and and keep it all stock and I might get that low 13..

Come on springtime...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Slap a set of 3.73s on there and ramp it up a bit, it'll drastically improve your acceleration.

4.10s would help out the most, but being a 4-speed it'd cut down on your fuel mileage a lot more than you need. I would opt for the 4.10s if I had a 6-speed though... eh well maybe. 3.73's are almost the perfect 'street' ratio for cars like that... and mine.

Stupid G8 has like a 2.42 or some crazy low ratio. The GXP G8 will have 3.73s and a 6-speed manual and another like 80hp. MotherF**ker that'll be a huge jump in performance. Luckyyyyy.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
209 SRT
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Well I talked the brother in law to come over and get a few runs in since it was dry out for a change.

I decided to drive the GTP since I wanted to give this car the best chance to win. I feel like I can drive it pretty good and I have new rubber all around. My bro in law was all to happy to take the TA for a spin. He had never driven it and I figured my GTP would do pretty good till about 80...

First run, he was behind me an we were on the phone. We couldnt get beside each other so I told him to just go and pass me if he could. We were going 30mph and I got my 3-1 downshift and I was gone I took it up to 100mph and he never passed. We pulled over to talk and he said he was starting to pull but not that hard..

Disappointed we went again and got some heads up but none from a dig because traction would have been an issue for both of us. We lined up at 30mph and again I got my downshift and instantly got about 3/4 of a car. That lasted about as long as it took for me get the 3/4 length and hepulled on me hard and kept going until around 80 where i was down 3-4 cars easily.

Next couple races were from 40 mph and 60 mph. Same outcome at 40 mph but from 60 he instantly started pulling. I'm guessing in a quarter mile it would be ugly but I ran a 13.9@99 this summer once i dropped the pulley and put on my front PEM.

TA stomps GTP ass in the end...
good times you pulled there with the gtp...was the t/a an auto or manual....

"REPPIN STOCKTON CALI STRAIGHT FROM THE VALLEY"
2005 SRT-4 ACR
YOU KNOW THE SAD THING ABOUT LOSING TO A NEON?

"YOU HAVE TO LIE TO YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF CAR JUST HANDED YOU YOUR ASS..... "
209 SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #14
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

T/A is an auto. I am real happy with my GTP times for sure. I started off stock running 14.8@91 and my best time before the pully drop was a 14.2@97 and then I finally broke into 13's barely but I got it. It is so easy and cheap to make the GTP quick. It surprises alot of people.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
209 SRT
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
T/A is an auto. I am real happy with my GTP times for sure. I started off stock running 14.8@91 and my best time before the pully drop was a 14.2@97 and then I finally broke into 13's barely but I got it. It is so easy and cheap to make the GTP quick. It surprises alot of people.
thats force induction for you....

"REPPIN STOCKTON CALI STRAIGHT FROM THE VALLEY"
2005 SRT-4 ACR
YOU KNOW THE SAD THING ABOUT LOSING TO A NEON?

"YOU HAVE TO LIE TO YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF CAR JUST HANDED YOU YOUR ASS..... "
209 SRT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing