Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

give it gas

well ive been noticing that my car need more power for it to move, when i reverse it will hardly go without giving it gas, also does this in drive ... what could be creating such a force to stop the car, could it be the rotors creating friction ? they sqeek sometimes so i know theyre touching
rendertrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Re: give it gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendertrust
well ive been noticing that my car need more power for it to move, when i reverse it will hardly go without giving it gas, also does this in drive ... what could be creating such a force to stop the car, could it be the rotors creating friction ? they sqeek sometimes so i know theyre touching
Take the emergency brake off.

Seriously though,...this sounds like an automatic right? How long has it been since you checked the fluid in there? Is it up to level? If it's low that could be why. When an automatic transmission is low it won't fully engage until hydraulic pressure builds up, thus the reving up. The brakes being low shouldn't cause it to have extra drag unless they were recently done and the e-brake was adjusted too tight. Even then if that was the case it the shoes would eventually wear down and it would be fine, that's only drum brakes by the way. You probably have 4wheel disk. Then there's the proportioning valve, but if that were bad the wheels would easily lock up and you would know something was wrong there. Hmmm,....I dunno what else.
Bdetore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Whatever happened to your overheating problem? DId you rule out the head gasket? If there's a significant amount of water getting into the oil then you will definitely have to rev it more because there is more friction in the cylinders.

The first blown head gasket I ever dealt with was on a mid 80's cavalier. I had to rev it to get it to go into the shop. If I didn't keep my foot in it, it died. When I put it up and pulled the drain plug out for the LOF Green antifreeze came out. Bad head gasket. I wouldn't have brought it up, but since you have been having this problem, you better be sure before you screw around with the brakes. Have you found anything out from the "The Heat" thread you started?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

well im definitely sure i have a blown head gasket, however, nothing i can do about that at this time unless you all want to send me a spare you might have ... right now im more worried about the timing belt more than anything cause that hasnt been changed in who knows how long and that causes the most damage the quickest ... i checked the fluid and its still red but also checked my tires and the front passenger side was running on 14 psi ... has a leak like the rear one did only not as bad, good thing these rims are pretty cheap at only 160$ 5 spoke eagles, polished look nice ... right now ive got under 20$ to spend on my car so im thinking one of those lame pop chargers off ebay, pretty much all i can do maintenence wise for now and the damn mpg sucks ass hope the pop charger will help
Old 03-16-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

what do you all think about this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3A1%3A3v_home

or is this one better ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33659

well any comments about quality and ricerness, please post cause im leaving to Houston TX tomorrow at 5am and have to bid before then
Old 03-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: give it gas

Quote:
what do you all think about this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3A1%3A3v_home

well any comments about quality and ricerness, please post cause im leaving to Houston TX tomorrow at 5am
it doesnt really matter...as long as it works. i would just save your money towards fixing the car. if your lucky, that $20 can buy you that headgasket that needs replacing.

no need to try modding your car if it isnt running properly. not to be mean or anything...just saying.

BTW: the second one looks like it works better but it will need an adapter unless that little black piece will slide over the MAF sensor...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: give it gas

Quote:
well im definitely sure i have a blown head gasket, however, nothing i can do about that at this time unless you all want to send me a spare you might have ... right now im more worried about the timing belt more than anything cause that hasnt been changed in who knows how long and that causes the most damage the quickest
Dude! If the timing belt is in tact and you know the head gasket is blown THE HEAD GASKET will damage your car the quickest. You are already having problems with it running. If the head gasket is truly blown STOP DRIVING THE CAR!!! You are doing irreperable damage! Once you seize that motor, the entire thing is garbage and then your engine really will be worth shit. That means no trip to Houston, no jaunt cross town, no freaking drive to the corner store for some rubbers. It doesn't matter if she puts out!!! If your head gasket is blown and you have confirmation of this by a professional mechanic, because you don't sound like one (I say this not to offend but to clarify), you have been warned.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)