Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
MclarenF1
AF Regular

Some Z32 tech issues...

Hello!

I hope everyone's doing well. I'm just sorting through a couple of very minor issues with my 96 NA Z32, and wonder if anyone else has had any similar experinces. Firstly, this is my second Z32 (the first was murdered in an unfortunate accident a while back), and both cars have suffered from the same small problems.

My first issue concerns a buzzing sound from the fuel tank area. Sometimes I hit the gas, and immediately hear a buzzing from somewhere behind me, and it cuts off again when I let off the throttle. The car runs just fine, and I even made a point to take it out on a straight stretch near my house while it was making the noise and test the car. Buzz or no buzz, the car nails 93 mph on that stretch in good conditions. I thought maybe the fuel pump might be going bad, but it seems like the car should hesitate or at least be hard to start if that were the case. My other guess is that the fuel pressure regulator may be going bad. The car only has 45,000 miles on it, though, so it seems a bit early for that problem. As mentioned, the occurance of the sound is very sporadic, and my other Z did the same thing. Anyone else have this issue?

My second issue is one that we've all heard before- a balky second gear. My first Z had higher mileage (72,000) and the problem was a little more pronounced, especially in cold weather. I put Amsoil synthetic in the gearbox, and believe it or not, the problem was actually worse. When the box warmed up everything was fine, but in cold weather it was such a pain that I would just short shift from 1st to 3rd until the gearbox was good and hot. This has never made any sense to me, as independent research I looked at showed that the grade Amsoil I used should have flowed better at cold temperatures than the factory fill. Anyway, the Z I have now exhibits just a little bit of balkiness when cold, and I thought I better head the problem off at the pass before I eventually kill a syncro. After the Amsoil experience, I'm not too keen to try that brand again (although I'm sure it's a great product in most other applications). I've heard VERY good things about Redline synthetic. Have any of you tried it? Also, if you have, did you put it in straight or did you thin it down some with automatic trans fluid? When I had the problems with the first Z, A Nissan tech reccomended that I try that, and it did seem to help some. I should have thinned it down even more. But alas, my car was killed before I had the chance.

MclarenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Some Z32 tech issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MclarenF1
Hello!

I hope everyone's doing well. I'm just sorting through a couple of very minor issues with my 96 NA Z32, and wonder if anyone else has had any similar experinces. Firstly, this is my second Z32 (the first was murdered in an unfortunate accident a while back), and both cars have suffered from the same small problems.

My first issue concerns a buzzing sound from the fuel tank area. Sometimes I hit the gas, and immediately hear a buzzing from somewhere behind me, and it cuts off again when I let off the throttle. The car runs just fine, and I even made a point to take it out on a straight stretch near my house while it was making the noise and test the car. Buzz or no buzz, the car nails 93 mph on that stretch in good conditions. I thought maybe the fuel pump might be going bad, but it seems like the car should hesitate or at least be hard to start if that were the case. My other guess is that the fuel pressure regulator may be going bad. The car only has 45,000 miles on it, though, so it seems a bit early for that problem. As mentioned, the occurance of the sound is very sporadic, and my other Z did the same thing. Anyone else have this issue?

My second issue is one that we've all heard before- a balky second gear. My first Z had higher mileage (72,000) and the problem was a little more pronounced, especially in cold weather. I put Amsoil synthetic in the gearbox, and believe it or not, the problem was actually worse. When the box warmed up everything was fine, but in cold weather it was such a pain that I would just short shift from 1st to 3rd until the gearbox was good and hot. This has never made any sense to me, as independent research I looked at showed that the grade Amsoil I used should have flowed better at cold temperatures than the factory fill. Anyway, the Z I have now exhibits just a little bit of balkiness when cold, and I thought I better head the problem off at the pass before I eventually kill a syncro. After the Amsoil experience, I'm not too keen to try that brand again (although I'm sure it's a great product in most other applications). I've heard VERY good things about Redline synthetic. Have any of you tried it? Also, if you have, did you put it in straight or did you thin it down some with automatic trans fluid? When I had the problems with the first Z, A Nissan tech reccomended that I try that, and it did seem to help some. I should have thinned it down even more. But alas, my car was killed before I had the chance.
1st problem:

definitely sounds liek the fuel pump, i was never able to hear my fuel pump while the car was running because of my exhaust so i couldnt tell you how loud it is suppsoed to be. but most fuel pumps you can hear...might be a sign but it doesnt sound like anything to "worry" about.

second problem:

i would definitely give redline a try...i have not tried it myself but i have heard really really good things. even with it fixing gear grinds...i will be putting it in my manual transmission when i install it.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

yeah dude i just put redline mt-90 in my 5-speed Z32 about a month ago and yes it is a VERY good product and it made a noticable differance with shifting, grinds adn so on....and as for the buzzing, sounds just like the fuel pump to me but i havent experianced that problem so im not 100% sure good luck

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
probehtr300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

yep definitely sounds like the fuel pump... the electric motor on it could just have the brushes a little dirty which might cause the buzzing sound, or there may be a connection that's loose, and sometimes doesn't make 100% contact.. that might make it buzz as well... or perhaps something's just rattling against something... a heat shield maybe.

as for the second problem, hopefully the new fluid will fix it... but it seems that it's very common for 2nd gear to be crappy.... i know mine is... almost jumps back out of gear when i shift it into 2nd the first few times if i'm not careful... then again, most performance oriented cars of the 90's seem to do this... my buddy's old fc did it, my other buddy's 300zx does it as well... i dunno if it's really something to worry about... just more of an annoyance if you ask me
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Its the Fuelpump. I have the same problem when the temp is below 32deg F. Its a sign your fuel pump is failing. It wont go anytime soon though. I would suggest start budgeting for a new pump with in the next few months. I am procrastinating on mine. But I work for a dealership and push comes to shove I will just have to get it that afternoon and replace it that evening.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
MclarenF1
AF Regular

I figured about as much. At least its pretty easy to get to. The only crappy part will be doing it without stinking the whole car up with gas. Guess I'll have to make sure it's on empty so things will be that much easier. No rush, though. Thanks for the info everyone. Always appreciated.

MclarenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

yah fuel pump ....

my power steering pump bearings are shot ,its funny when i hit it and boost kicks in it squels and kind of sounds like a loud turbo spooling up..

anyone know where i can get a new tps connector mine is corroded nd broken its kind of riggedright now until i find a new one ....

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Honestly try a salvage yard... or Courtesy Nissan..... they may have them, give them a call never hurts to ask.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

did they change the fuel pump setup on the Z32 2+2???

i had to change the fuel pump on my Z31 and i had to drop the whole gas tank down. that sucked...but i guess it wasnt all that bad. just a matter of breaking all the bolts loose and getting the hoses loosened. it definitely wasnt a couple hour affair.

i was just wandering if they made an access panel for the Z32 2+2, i know there is one for the 2 seaters but what about the 2+2??? i have never checked on that...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 03-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Dont know ask Mr. K.........

Old 03-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Re: Re: Some Z32 tech issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodo
Dont know ask Mr. K.........
yeah...im sure he would be thrilled to answer all my pointless questions.
ZedEx Crew Member #4

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)