Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
DanDLT
AF Newbie

Nissan 300ZX NA NOS has anyone done it?

Hi fellas...
I have a 93 z non turbo, I want to get NOS on it...but have questions ..
how does it work... before driving off, ya open the bottle valve, then when your ready ya arm the switch then hit the nos button?.. The stillen kit is a dry system right.. and i would need the computer chip upgrade and larger injectors....
i know a 10 pound bottle will last for a few races..
my question is, can i get a smaller bottle and mount it in the front of the car so i can access it while driving..maybe mount it on the floor on the passenger side? I want to have it available when someone wants to race...i dont wanna have to get out of the car to go to the back to open the bottle.... would it be safe to have it in the front with me? im a smoker so.. also i kinda wanted to have the nos button on the steering wheel so i can keep my hands on the steering wheel when i hit the nos..
found couple steering wheels that have it but i dont like the look .. i guess i can just put the nos switch on the dash somewhere...
is it safe to leave the bottle open even if im not planning to use it?

I saw some NSX system that i think just cools the air in the intake..would that provide some kick? could i have this in the front with me?..

whats the deal with headers? i called stillen for them but they said they would sell them to me but not put them on.. are they illegal in california and would i pass smog with them on?

so i wanna get some kinda nos or nsx kit on my z.. looking for options..
i was thinking like a cylinder type of nos bottle that wont take up too much room.. i saw some holly kits that look cool...any feedback is appreciated..

Dan
DanDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Nissan 300ZX NA NOS has anyone done it?

Well Dan you asked a WHOLE lot. Ok sounds like you have NO experiance with Nitrous Oxide Systems. First let me get a few pet peives out of the way, dont call it NOS, Nos is a brand name by Holley, just call it N2O (the chemical name). OK N2O is not that dangerous that you cant smoke around it, but I wouldnt suggest having it in the front of the car with you, alah Fast and the Furrious. There are litterly hundereds of N2O kits on the market, and most are just the install kits, you can interchange the bottles as needed. With a NA Z32 I wouldnt run more than a 50shot to start with, and if that is stable you can up it later to a 75 but I wouldnt go much more than that without a complete rebuild of the lower end of the engine. Its a strong engine but I dont know what kind of shape yours is in spreying it adds ALOT of pressure on the rods and pistons.

Next question you dont have to get out of your car to open the bottle all the time, you can purchase a remote bottle opener, I cant think of any company names that make them but I know they are on the market and relitively cheap. Also on these lines you will have to have a purge valve with this N2O system and with all N2O systems.

Next question. You have to decide what kind of Nitrous system you want. Either a Dry or a Wet system, a WOT or push button. I would suggest a WOT setup, dry for a daily driver with a kill/arm switch.

Now for the emmissions question. If you live in Cali you cant have headers from Stillen, or from alot of places on your car do to the STRICT laws on emissions there. And unless you live next door to stillen or work there they wont install nothing for you, but several shops even some dealerships will, for a nominal fee of course.

Last question that I missed, Nitrous button, you dont need to buy a whole new steering wheel for one. Those are HORN buttons on those wheels. Some states its illigal to have N2O in your car. If you need to you can go to radio shack and buy a throw switch for about 5 bucks and all the wiring needed to install it in your car under the dash somewhere. This would give you the arming switch that you need, if the kit doesnt come with one.

Now for my personal rants on N2O, dont use it. Dont need it.
Dont like it.
Not for amatures.
It sounds like you have much to learn about cars and more importantly your car. You dont need to race on the street, at a light or with a flagman. There is a time and place for that, and the way it sounds now you havent figured that out, untill then spend time in the books and with someone who knows what they are doing with the car, I dont mean driving I mean turning wrenches, you will learn more and be able to do more with your Z32 NA.

"Knowing is half the battle."-G.I. JOE

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Hodo your about 85% correct. How much power can be gotten out of a stock TT? The bottom end in a N/A is the exact same as a TT, but the pistons are different as is the exhaust valves.
To run N2O safely it would be wise to run a water/alky injection with it, but not mandatory if you retard the ignition. With water/alky no need to retard timing and you'll be running a much cooler combustion temp. plus a denser intake charge of air. It well enhanse the nitrous.
I have a friend with a N/A that runs a 200 shot of spray and has for 2 or 3 years and hasn't had one problem with it. I might also add a few TT's have been sent home with there tail between there legs.
All nitrous is, is a liquid turbocharger. A means of getting more oxygen into the engine, and if done properly can be a very cheap means of getting LOTS of power.
Not to long ago I got a N/A that I plan on building into a street car and keep it N/A, but on spray.
As soon as I get all the goodies I need well start working on it. Plans are to use a 2 stage nitrous system, with a total of 5-600HP spray.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
DanDLT
AF Newbie

Hey Man thanks for the feedback..
i was just trying to trick it out a little more ,, not really looking for turbo power but just another cool thing to have on it..
cause it now has a CB radio with PA speaker under hood and weather alert and emergency channel 9.. ive also got XM radio built into my alpine stereo and top of the line speakers and wires.. component speakers and the alpine 5 channel amp.. i recently got a jotto computer desk holder installed to have my IBM laptop in my car with a auxilary audio that plugs into my stereo.. ill be posting new pictures on my cardomain page.. check it out and tell me what ya think... i am also working on a way to get a scanner in the car...
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=748242

i just hit 120k miles and she still runs perfect..
DanDLT
DanDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Sounds more like a electronic applicance store than a car. Different strokes different folks.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Albert, I am more concerned with the engine blowing apart from the fuel used. You know as well as I do running more N2O requires better octane fuel, and more of it. You put a 200 shot through that engine at 10.5:1 you better have a damn good engine setup or else you will have a WHOLE lot of spare parts.

The car looks good, dont like the whip antenna on it, but like Albert said, different strokes for different folks. I am tring to get my bodyshop to remove and mold over the antenna port I have now. ( the factory one. )

Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Hodo I agree with you 110%, that's why I said, "setup properly". I plan on using 93 octane gas, and maybe a touch of toluene. We've already figured out how many lbs of oxygen my supercharged car is using, and have converted it to the same lbs of oxygen bearing nitrous. Now unless I'm wrong the nitrous should put out more power than a supercharged or turbo'd engine. No power robbed by driving the supercharger, no backpressure caused by the turbo's, but the same amount of fuel and oxygen...should equal more power....Hmmmmm
Old 03-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

It sounds pretty good, will this be a dyno run test the a quarter mile, then top speed run, or just dyno?

Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Hodo as I see it, the best place to test it is on the track. I have 3 friends with dyno's and dyno's are great when your changing parts and want to see the improvement, after you have estbalished a base HP. Dyno slips are also great for bragging rights, but I don't give a fiddlers F*** for bragging rights. Being I'll have 2 wideband o2 sensors and 2 EGT gages I'll be able to dial in my A/F on a dime, plus set my spray to a knats ass.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

so how big exactly is a knats ass?

Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Nissan 300ZX NA NOS has anyone done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodo
so how big exactly is a knats ass?
Depends..If your a elephant, small...but if your a atom, big.

My meaning of being able to set my spray to a knats ass means, I'll ba able to dial it in perfect, like no danger of a small thermo-nuclear explosion.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)