Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Bam Bam
AF Newbie

Pennies in the Steering Wheel!

2000 Nissan Altima GXE --

Okay, this is really stupid!! I was sitting at a fast food drive-in... and had several pennies in my hand. I started "lining" them in the steering wheel -- the slots between the circular handle and the center (airbag) part. If you have this car you should know where I'm talking about.

When I started to try to slide them "out" they didn't!! They fell right into that center part where the airbag and horn mechanism is.

For the most part it's not a big deal -- I hear them rattle around as I turn the steering wheel. But from time to time, one of the pennies (3 or 4) will make contact with the horn and at the most inappropriate times blare out rudely and I just shrug to my fellow drivers and waive to them assuring that I'm not honking at them.

Is there a way to remove that center covering of the airbag compartment so I can get the pennies out without damaging the steering wheel or setting off the airbags?

Thanks for any help!

Bam Bam
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #2
TT13181
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TT13181
Re: Pennies in the Steering Wheel!

I can't answer your question. But as I was reading it, I thought it was pretty funny. Sorry. Hope you get that fix!
TT13181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
rwood13
AF Enthusiast

your best bet is to get a repair manual, there are procedures in them, because of the airbag you have to disconnect the battery, I think there is a wait time after the batt is disconnected, not sure, after that there should be holes in the back of the steering wheel with screws in them that hold the center section on ..... I agree with TT, it is kind of funny
rwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
Bam Bam
AF Newbie

rwood,

Thanks for your answer! You do mean the main car battery, right? I'll look for a manual and try your suggestion.

Yeah, it is kind of funny... till the horn screams at someone driving by who has no idea why I'm "honking" at them.

But, please... continue smiling at my misfortune. Glad I could bring some humor to your life
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima