Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
3000-G_T_S_L
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 3000-G_T_S_L
Fuel Controller

OK, I'm still deployed overseas making the big bucks, and when I get back in the states in August, I'm going to buy a vr4 and do something with my SL(havent decided to keep, sell, or "give" to wife(she loves 3s)). This whole time I've been here so far, I've been planning and dreaming of the things I'm going to do to it. Well, while reading through the forum tonight, I stumbled accross a thread mentioning fuel controllers. I'm still learning, and I obviously know what it does by the name, but I'd like a little more detail about it, and maybe some advice about when is a good point in the modding process to use one? Most everyone here is extremely knowledgeable about these things, so what better place to come. Thanks everyone!
*JUST BOUGHT*2008 Red Mitsubishi Lancer ES - planning
3000-G_T_S_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: Fuel Controller

There are many many options available, and they vary in many respects. But basically it is some form of piggyback, or entire ECU replacement (such as the AEM EMS) that allows you to tune your air and fuel ratios. Some also come with other features, such as timing control, etc.

As I said, there are many options and they vary widely on options and price. Basically, you don't need one until you start messing with larger fuel upgrades, and generally, you don't go with more fuel, unless you are going with larger turbos. I personally plan on buying injectors, fuel pump, turbos, and fuel controller at different times (when money is available), but waiting and putting them all in at once.

Very Very basically, larger turbos flow more air, so you need more fuel to compensate. The stock injectors and fuel pump can only flow so much fuel before they are overun. So you need to upgrade those fuel components. But with all these upgrades, the stock ECU still thinks you have stock fuel components and stock turbos. The fuel controller allows you to tune/adjust the signals your ECU receives/sends, tricking it into running with aftermarket stuff.

I suggest if you are interested, going onto 3si and just doing searches for:
"MAFT" "SAFC" "E-manage" "EMS" "map ecu" etc, and just do alot of reading to familiarize yourself with the different options available.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
3000-G_T_S_L
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 3000-G_T_S_L

Sweet, thanks for the info. I knew about needing bigger injectors/pump if you get bigger turbos, which where things I planned on doing originally, but I didn't know that a control unit was needed. I thought you just upped the parts and let them do their thing. I'm hoping one of these control units doesn't cost near the price of a turbo timer (also a needed component, for prolonged turbo life). Cause I'm gonna get one of those too...and money is always an issue ^_^o
*JUST BOUGHT*2008 Red Mitsubishi Lancer ES - planning
3000-G_T_S_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
sheikhlala
AF Newbie

Hi all

You might also consider uprating your fuel pressure regulator and the stock fuel lines, I currently use a twin feed/return system which helps eliminate fuel starvation on the rear bank. I`m also in the process of installing the MaftPro http://www.maftpro.com which is a fuel controller,boost controller, propane/nitrous controller and has some timing capabilities as well. You can hook it upto a laptop and use the tuner pro software to analyse and help tune.
Hope this helps

Lala
sheikhlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

IMO MAFT isn't the best option. If you are sticking with smaller upgrades, then yes. But it really doesn't have that much tuneability which can cause idle problems for people going BIG. Just my .02 For smaller or moderate upgrades it is a good choice though.

Also to the original poster.
A) fuel controllers will be a few hundred, a turbo timer can be found for like $75.
B) turbo timers aren't necessary. I went out and bought one first when I got the car. Yes it is a nice feature, and you can feel badass, taking your keys out and walking away from the car. But in all honesty, you can just lay off the boost for the last few miles of a hard drive, or just let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute while you park, and it does the same thing. Also when I had mine installed, it interfered somehow with my Python alarm (previously installed) and so when the turbo timer shuts off, and the car turns off, the doors unlock, even if they were locked. So basically, I still have to wait by the car as it cools down anyway, pretty much eliminating any point of having one. Just my .02
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth