Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
dgoebelt
AF Newbie

How different are the turbo/ non-turbos

I'm interested in getting a 93-96 2+2 and am wondering how different the basic engine components are between the turbo and non. How difficult would it be to upgrade a N/A with stock turbo parts? Thanks
dgoebelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: How different are the turbo/ non-turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoebelt
I'm interested in getting a 93-96 2+2 and am wondering how different the basic engine components are between the turbo and non. How difficult would it be to upgrade a N/A with stock turbo parts? Thanks
Just so you don't get flamed too bad, look above this post and you'll see some red important writing. Look for the one that says TwinTurbo swap and read it, then come back and ask all you like.
The difference is night and day in the power dept., but handling 'bout the same.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
wow dude seriouly... if there's STICKIES in a forums that says "NEWBIES: READ THIS" read it!!!! and in it it says do a SEARCH.... it's there for a reason!!!!

ARGH
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
dgoebelt
AF Newbie

I apologize, I did a search and didn't come up with what I was looking for. I'm not asking about an engine swap though. What I'm asking is if the engines are similar enough to simply add the turbos to the N/A engine and what other modifications would need to be made to the stock N/A engine to accomodate this improvement.

Thanks for your patience with someone who knows more about diesel than gas engines.
dgoebelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Re: How different are the turbo/ non-turbos

Ok to answer your question there is a bit of difference between the two engines. mainly in the engine itself. This has been all covered in the stickies above. But I will continue.

TT engines or the VG30DETT is the basic same block as the VG30DE, with a few more oil ports added for the turbos, but otherwise the same. The pistons are where everything changes the VG30DETT runs a 8.0:1 compression I belive and the VG30DE runs a 10.5:1. So tapping for oil ports and slapping a pair of stock TT turbos on the the VG30DE would be a bad thing. Then there are the heads, the TT heads are ported differently for waterjacket cooling and such and are non-swapable between the two blocks. This two is mainly for the turbos survivablity. Then we come to the bolted on parts, of course you know the exhaust system is different the TT has down pipes and such and no real headers, also the TT has larger fuel injectors than the NA this is a given. the intake piping is of course different but I am sure you knew that too.

I hope that helped a bit, after most of the internal things the engines are the same, but so different.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)