Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

mesh ceates mash

have u all seen the mesh that the maf has, can you take it off to allow more flow ? or would it be too big of a risk of debris getting to your motor.... seems like that mesh is really holding back the potential of air flow maybe a 2 hp gain
rendertrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

Re: mesh ceates mash

well taking off my airbox, i had to tilt the airbox and this cause part of that mesh to rip, if i leave it like that cahnces are that the metal mesh will be sucked into the engine.... should i just take off the mesh ? please reply ASAP anybody with suggestions
Old 03-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

Well if the mesh is ripped then it wont do much good right? So as long as you have a good air filter on it, it will be fine. Go ahead and remove it.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

"IF" i had a good air filter... its a bright red one that i dont know who put it on but it was before me .... maybe its the stock one from 1990 who knows, what color are stock filters ? i only have 2$ right now not enough for a filter
Old 03-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

well it sounds like a K&N but theres no way to tell. Go get a K&N OEM replacement ($50) well worth it lasts a lifetime...or get an intake from someone(Injen, AEM, Nismo, K&N...anywhere from $100-$400)

** i just saw the part about you haveing $2. as long as your filter is in good shape with no holes and not really dirty it will be ok. stock filters are usually white but ive seen orange, blue etc.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

well while i have the air filter out, i guess now is a good time to ask someone why on one the two passageways the air enter through to the airbox, why the passenger side one is closed, wouldnt more air come in if it was open... plus the one that is closed (passenger side) has some plumbing that goes down which would be where the cooler air would be compared to the one on the drivers side which has no plumbing and getting air from closer to the engine which would make the air hotter... doesnt make much sense really

i have no idea what the previous owners have done to the car.. i think its got a cat-back exhaust but dont know, the MAF says JCES with orange on it, thats the stock one right ... i dont know whats stock and whats not on my car
Old 03-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

all the mesh does in front of the MAF is keep large debrie from hitting the MAF itself. It doesnt cause any restriction as long as its clean. If it is removed there is a chance of junk building up on the hotwire on the MAF and causeing a missreading. This is generally bad.

As for the airfilters, they sound like K&N, I have Orange stock ones in mine, although Cool Blue makes them along with K&N, and that new one FRAM Air hog offers them I think. All of them are about the same as long as you dont live in a REAL dusty envirnoment like Arizona or Navada and west Texas.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

well i guess i have to take off that mesh ... its short term problem vs. long term problem, mesh in engine or buildup on maf
Old 03-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: mesh ceates mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendertrust
well while i have the air filter out, i guess now is a good time to ask someone why on one the two passageways the air enter through to the airbox, why the passenger side one is closed, wouldnt more air come in if it was open... plus the one that is closed (passenger side) has some plumbing that goes down which would be where the cooler air would be compared to the one on the drivers side which has no plumbing and getting air from closer to the engine which would make the air hotter... doesnt make much sense really

i have no idea what the previous owners have done to the car.. i think its got a cat-back exhaust but dont know, the MAF says JCES with orange on it, thats the stock one right ... i dont know whats stock and whats not on my car
sounds like k&n's to me too...take them out and hose them down if they are because they are reusable. if it is ripped, i would remove it because it can get sucked and really damage your MAF sensor and/or engine. as for the plumbing your talking about....it sounds like someone has been doing some messing around with that and they didnt know what they are doing. but also you could be looking at the water traps. those are both closed off at the bottom. the air the engine is sucking is actually coming from little oval tubes down on the sides of the front bumpers. the stock placement of the airbox actually serves as a pretty good cold air pick up. its just more restrictive than a cone filter.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

yea its those oval tubes, the drivers side is completely open while the passenger side one has a tube going down then its closed off at end, i also looked inside the Maf tube and saw there is another mesh and thats the one that matter because its the one that keep big objects from hitting sensor ... if i wash off the filters with water will it really clean them ?, i just got a brush type thing and swept both filters and gave them a few bangs
Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: mesh ceates mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendertrust
yea its those oval tubes, the drivers side is completely open while the passenger side one has a tube going down then its closed off at end, i also looked inside the Maf tube and saw there is another mesh and thats the one that matter because its the one that keep big objects from hitting sensor ... if i wash off the filters with water will it really clean them ?, i just got a brush type thing and swept both filters and gave them a few bangs
the k&n's it will clean them...a standard paper filter it will ruin it probably. i would just leave it at what you did just in case they are not k&n's...

i will try to take pictures of my intake piping without the stock air box in place so you can see what it is supposed to look like...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #12
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stephenp

first off the filter sounds stock does it have a wire mesh type screen simi imbeded into it ifso it may not be stock but as long as it doesnt it probably stock also the screen in front is supposed to straighten the air so when is swirls through the inlet piping is gives a more acurate reading (not saying that its necesary but that is what its there for and as for debri hitting it if you have a filter that is allowing debri in of the caliber to get caught in the screen dont you need a new one or have a problem in the intake somewhere
stephenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #13
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

all i know is that the filter says made in korea on it, and the mesh i ripped off is the one that is after the MAF sensor ... the mesh before the MAF is covered in platic so its hard to mess that one up

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)