Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #31
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Re: radar-proof body kit

Radar beam is wide enough to aim at the car. However, on a recent trip on I80/90 I found that almost all the cops were using laser (according to my radar detector). As for laser, first thing you can do is get a dark colored car, where the headlight hide (like a trans am), and get a bra for it. It will be almos immune to laser, except up close. But by than your radar/laser detector will go off.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:42 PM   #32
Geeko
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Geeko
It radically depends on where you are as to what the police are using for speed traps... in higher-population, and more affluent areas, where the police have more money to upgrade parts, you'll find laser (or more agressive tactics!). More rural areas tend to use radar, and some really backwoods places still use K/Ka... VERY old stuff indeed, and easy to spot. Up on 90 you'll probably see newer stuff, as the tollway provides a lot of incoming cash for the various departments, including speed enforcement.

AD (After Deer): Nascar Ready.

Go Baby Go.
Geeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #33
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

you can get radar resistand paint.... but its hard.
size of car and angle of surface effects radar.
radar reflects off metalic parts much better than polymers.
laser needs relatively flat surface... headlights number plates, large fronts on vehicles like US pickups etc.

get a car with a low frontal area, pop up lights and a full plastic or c/f front... look at masking metalic parts behind the front plastic with other material... perhaps aluminium foil??

get a radar detector, get a laser jammer.

paint the car black... it may not help with absorbing laser, but it might make your new low profile sports car harder to identify and make it less of a target... red is a bad colour. maybe get a car bra with some radar absorband material built in...
Old 11-18-2004, 10:52 PM   #34
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PeanutM&MsRgood4u
Re: Re: radar-proof body kit

Or you could get huge sheets of 1 way mirror glass and angle them so your car looks like a pyramid made of mirror. Everything would be reflected up and away from the po-po right?

P.S. keep in mind Stealth planes aren't "invisible" to radar, they are just reducing their radar return to the point that the plane looks no bigger than say a basket ball. Trying to shoot a basketball sized objet from a couple miles away, at night, while its moving at speed is considerably more difficult than getting a return from a car moving slowly, in a more or less fixed path, from 50' away.
PeanutM&MsRgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #35
mx6rrr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefanajd
if you want a car that is radar deflectant get a pontiac fiero....if you take the front plate braket off they are radar deflectant
That explains why the cops were all over me when I didnt have front license plate on my fiero. Thats awesome!!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 AM   #36
BodyKits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcap122
Hey you know those stealth planes that they have, and they have a certain shape which makes them invisible to radar? Why can't we make a body kit for cars like that? From the looks of it, you'll just need a lot of ridges to deflect the radar in different directions. Hm.

Probly would cost a lot to develop tho. Just a thought.
ARE YOU SERIOUS. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT ITS THE SHAPE OF THE PLANE? DO YOU RELIZE THAT ITS NOT INVISABLE, ITS JUST THAT OYU CANT HERE IT AND IT CAN BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU. ITS ABOUT THE SPEED AND THE ALTITUDE IN WITCH IT FLIES AT. PLUS ITS THE MATERIALS USED TO BUILD THE AIRCRAFT.
BodyKits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #37
BodyKits
Banned

If You Really Want To Avoid Getting Aq Speeding Ticket Here Is A Hint.... Dont Drive Over The Limit, And If Thats A Problem For You Get A Radar Jammer. Highly Illegal So You Have To Install It Somewhere That You Would Never Think They Would Look Because When They Pull Your Ass Over For Not Showing Up On Radar They Will Get Permission Immeditly To Search Your Car...
BodyKits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #38
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

certain shapes also assist in providing a reduced radar signiature though. but you'd have to know what you were doing.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #39
RandomTask
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefanajd
if you want a car that is radar deflectant get a pontiac fiero....if you take the front plate braket off they are radar deflectant
Really? So the cop must have been bullshitting me when I got my ticket for 14 over, even though I don't have my front bracket or anything on?
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #40
Geeko
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyKits
If You Really Want To Avoid Getting Aq Speeding Ticket Here Is A Hint.... Dont Drive Over The Limit, And If Thats A Problem For You Get A Radar Jammer. Highly Illegal So You Have To Install It Somewhere That You Would Never Think They Would Look Because When They Pull Your Ass Over For Not Showing Up On Radar They Will Get Permission Immeditly To Search Your Car...
Typing in caps does not make you right or smart, typing with each word capitalized does not make you right or smart. Radar jammers are highly illegal- a federal law vs. a munincipal law; this is Federal Penitentury vs. a ticket. Dumb. Police can't get permission verbally or quickly at the scene- they either need a written warrent issued by a judge, or a "clear and present reason." If they don't invoke the second, they'll just arrest you, impound the car, and THEN get the warrent.

For your previous post, stealth jets are almost as loud as regular jets, the "stealth" part comes from the materials and shape of the jet body and frame, and the speed and altitude at which they fly. Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand the rest of the post enough to adequately refute it, but I'm sure such a correction would be required.

Your sig makes no sense.

Go Baby Go.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 PM   #41
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: radar-proof body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeko
Typing in caps does not make you right or smart, typing with each word capitalized does not make you right or smart. Radar jammers are highly illegal- a federal law vs. a munincipal law; this is Federal Penitentury vs. a ticket. Dumb. Police can't get permission verbally or quickly at the scene- they either need a written warrent issued by a judge, or a "clear and present reason." If they don't invoke the second, they'll just arrest you, impound the car, and THEN get the warrent.

For your previous post, stealth jets are almost as loud as regular jets, the "stealth" part comes from the materials and shape of the jet body and frame, and the speed and altitude at which they fly. Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand the rest of the post enough to adequately refute it, but I'm sure such a correction would be required.

Your sig makes no sense.
Wow, Im impressed you managed to muddle through that nonesense. I got to "SERIOUS" and stopped reading. I agree tho, a ticket that should cost at most $200 is nowhere near as bad as a "Federal-Pound-Me-In-The-A**" prison. Besides, its all moot since its only a matter of time before every cop has a laser system backup. Cops here already use laser traps/helicopters to watch the freeways.

Google for Radar Cross Section to find out how radar "sees" a plane. Reducing it makes the plane's radar return signal smaller, thus making it "look" smaller. Other things, like radar absorbing materials, and venting on the tail section reduce heat returns.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:13 AM   #42
thegladhatter
AF Enthusiast

Stealth aircraft is stealthy because of the way each plane meets the other planes on the surface of the vehicle. The shape of the aircraft has MUCH to do with its ability to go undetected by radar.

The heat is exhausted in such a way as to make it harder for heat seeking weapons to not be able to lock on to the target once it is discovered.

bodykit needs a body punch
Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 AM   #43
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladhatter
...bodykit needs a body punch
Agreed! Except it needs to be in the throat.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #44
Geeko
AF Regular

have to admit, though- wither or not the stealth technology works, those planes look seriously badass.

Go Baby Go.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:04 AM   #45
PeanutM&MsRgood4u
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeko
have to admit, though- wither or not the stealth technology works, those planes look seriously badass.
IMO the F-117 Nighthawk look ugly. F-22 Raptor looks sweet tho and its stealth. Plus it has complex curves insted of all those straight lines.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics