Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
tragic_hip
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tragic_hip
Lowering just the back

Hey There,

I've noticed no one has posted to this thread in awhile, so I'm hoping someone comes across this.

First off, I wanna apologize ahead of time for my ignorance.

Secondly, I would like to thank all the posters on this site and j-body.org for the wealth of information out there. Although, I am more confused than when I started doing research, at least it is a bit more of an educated confusion ... many times I have been very close to buying coilovers from ebay.

My question is this, I like the height at the front wheel well, basically I wanna drop the back end to match the front end, level it off. The front fender above the wheel is 26" off the ground and the back is 27.5". Can I just get coilovers and new struts for the back? and drop it the 1.5"? then get an alignment? Or is there better way for me to do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies and your patience.

Peace.
tragic_hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #17
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lowering just the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragic_hip
Hey There,

I've noticed no one has posted to this thread in awhile, so I'm hoping someone comes across this.

First off, I wanna apologize ahead of time for my ignorance.

Secondly, I would like to thank all the posters on this site and j-body.org for the wealth of information out there. Although, I am more confused than when I started doing research, at least it is a bit more of an educated confusion ... many times I have been very close to buying coilovers from ebay.

My question is this, I like the height at the front wheel well, basically I wanna drop the back end to match the front end, level it off. The front fender above the wheel is 26" off the ground and the back is 27.5". Can I just get coilovers and new struts for the back? and drop it the 1.5"? then get an alignment? Or is there better way for me to do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies and your patience.

Peace.
You can do that. BUT. you will be increasing the spring rate at the rear of you car and not at the front. This will make the back end stiff and the front will stay the same. This will cause poor ride quality and poor handling. You will probably suffer a lot of understeer followed by a violent snap to oversteer if you push it due to these rates. If you only want to lower the rear then you could fit all four coil-over with new struts and have the fronts fully extended and the rears lowered you will have a harsher ride, as coil-overs have a high spring rate as they are able to be lowered 3" or more so need it, but, you will have the appearance you are looking for. If you are not planning to race your car at all, either 1/4 mile or circiut, then maybe you could just get yourself a large stereo install in your trunk. Heavy enough that it weighs the car down that 1.5" but that will be a lot of stuff. 4 12's (JL W7's or something), Amps all in custom enclosure could probably produce a good result. The Cheapest route that would get you somewere near what you are looking for is to but a set of Tein S-Tech springs. These use a stock rate and are designed to work with stock struts (despite what anyboy may say to the contrary, trust me on this one!) and lower the car about 1" in the rear. You could then install just the rears on the stock rear struts and have close to what you seek! good luck!

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
noshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
tragic_hip
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Lowering just the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
You can do that. BUT. you will be increasing the spring rate at the rear of you car and not at the front. This will make the back end stiff and the front will stay the same. This will cause poor ride quality and poor handling. You will probably suffer a lot of understeer followed by a violent snap to oversteer if you push it due to these rates. If you only want to lower the rear then you could fit all four coil-over with new struts and have the fronts fully extended and the rears lowered you will have a harsher ride, as coil-overs have a high spring rate as they are able to be lowered 3" or more so need it, but, you will have the appearance you are looking for. If you are not planning to race your car at all, either 1/4 mile or circiut, then maybe you could just get yourself a large stereo install in your trunk. Heavy enough that it weighs the car down that 1.5" but that will be a lot of stuff. 4 12's (JL W7's or something), Amps all in custom enclosure could probably produce a good result. The Cheapest route that would get you somewere near what you are looking for is to but a set of Tein S-Tech springs. These use a stock rate and are designed to work with stock struts (despite what anyboy may say to the contrary, trust me on this one!) and lower the car about 1" in the rear. You could then install just the rears on the stock rear struts and have close to what you seek! good luck!
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't add any details of my car or plans. I do not plan on doing any racing, I have a 2.2L 4 door. I like your idea of the Tein S-Techs. If I lower the rear the one inch, maybe I can add some audio to the trunk to drop it the other half an inch. I have been doing some quick searching and could only find the springs for a 2.4L cavalier, does that mean I'm SOL?

Just to make sure I'm starting to understand this a little better, which I'm still not sure I do ... If I can get the Tein springs, I would put them on all four stock struts, and lower the rear the one inch? The pricing I saw was $220US, does that sound about right?

Thanks again for your help.

Ohhh, I have a page on cardomain, if you wanna look and see what I'm working with.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2070048

Peace.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #19
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Lowering just the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragic_hip
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't add any details of my car or plans. I do not plan on doing any racing, I have a 2.2L 4 door. I like your idea of the Tein S-Techs. If I lower the rear the one inch, maybe I can add some audio to the trunk to drop it the other half an inch. I have been doing some quick searching and could only find the springs for a 2.4L cavalier, does that mean I'm SOL?

Just to make sure I'm starting to understand this a little better, which I'm still not sure I do ... If I can get the Tein springs, I would put them on all four stock struts, and lower the rear the one inch? The pricing I saw was $220US, does that sound about right?

Thanks again for your help.

Ohhh, I have a page on cardomain, if you wanna look and see what I'm working with.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2070048

Peace.
the springs are the same whether 2.2 or 2.4. That Price is ok but I would belive that you can find better. try www.customcartuner.com they are located in Niagara Ontario. You can use stock struts with Tein springs as they are deisigned to do so. and then adding a sub enclosure in the tunk wouod push it down the rest of the way.

BTW check out www.j-body.com it's the J-body club of Ontario. Noticed on you car domain that you are from Windsor ON! I'm over by Oshawa. The chapter that would cover Windsor have weekly meets and you will meet people that are J-enthusiasts and will be willing to hel[p you out inperson with any questions etc!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #20
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Re: HOW TO: Lower your car the right way

Checked the customcartunersite and the server may be down. somethimes it works sometimes not. recently they had Tein springs for $200 CDN. If you go onto j-body.com username White_Zzzzz works at custom car tuner, pm him and he will be able to help you. I bought a subframe brace form them and service was good and prompt!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #21
tragic_hip
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lowering just the back

Quote:
the springs are the same whether 2.2 or 2.4. That Price is ok but I would belive that you can find better. I'm in Canada though so not sure of any places there that you could ge them from. You can use stock struts with Tein springs as they are deisigned to do so. and then adding a sub enclosure in the tunk wouod push it down the rest of the way.
Whew that's a relief. I think I like this idea alot. I'm in Canada too, Windsor, Ontario to be exact, not sure how easy it will be for me to find the springs anywhere around here, I imagine I'd have to order them on line or something. Do you know of any Canadian places I might be able to get them from?

Thanks again for all your help, you are def. making me more comfortable in going ahead with this little project.

Peace.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #22
noshun
AF Enthusiast

check what i posted just before you posted!

Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #23
tragic_hip
AF Newbie

Re: Re: HOW TO: Lower your car the right way

Quote:
check what i posted just before you posted!
Thanks very much, you have been a great help.

Peace.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #24
noshun
AF Enthusiast

no problem

Old 08-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #25
tragic_hip
AF Newbie

Re: Re: HOW TO: Lower your car the right way

Quote:
no problem
Hey There Again,

I saw this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

These are what I'm looking for eh?

If I were to get these, just double checking, cuz I'm still not 100% on everything, I would put the springs on all struts and then just lower the back the 1.5" and leave the front alone? Curious also, why would the front be able to be lowered 0.2" more than the back.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #26
noshun
AF Enthusiast

those are what I was talking about yes. The fornt cna be lowered a lot more and so can the back, these springs are ideally for the 2.2/2200 cavs that sit even where as z24 have a heavier motor and sit a little nose down and the springs i have lower the rear 0.6" more in the rear than the front. They would give a nose down look to the 2.2 or coudl be good for cars with large I.C.E installs that weight the back end down and it would keep it more even looking. You may even be abble to contact the main US distributor and see if you can just buy the rear springs so you don't just have an extra pair laying around. but yes you could just use the rear springs with these, they are stock rate but you will probably still experience a slightly deteriorated ride but nothing bad.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 AM   #27
Young Chuck D
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Young Chuck D

ok i have a 1989 cavalier 2.0 4cylinder automatic trans. vehicle (PICTURE BELOW AS ALWAYS!)

i'm completely blind deaf and dumb when it comes to lowering, suspension, springs, struts, coilovers, etc.... i learn quick but just need to be taught.

NOW.. i found this page and i think it has everything i need but i don't know which parts i need because there are several.

i want the car lowered 1.25-2.0 inches, hopefully evenly front to back, and would like to know what my options are to do that.

here are the parts i found:
http://www.mantapart.com/83cav.html?118,33
1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Coupe [a minivan tore my door off, totaled, 84k miles]
1998 BMW M3 Hardtop Convertible [a pathfinder armada stopped in front of me, totaled, 70k miles]
1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe [died, 160k miles, engine problems]
1990 Hyundai Excel GL [died, 220k miles, died]
Young Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #28
ryan99
AF Newbie

I saw this topic and it was very informative.Thanks to the author.Now i don't have to ask stupid questions.Except one..nobody ask about the clearance from fender to tire(rim and tire size should be considered)I've got a 16" rims with 205/45 tire size.bought cheap coilovers from ebay(i know guys, should have listened or should have ask first.don't worry, am planning to buy groundcontrol coilovers for stock shocks.)still have 3 fingers gap from fender to tires.now am wondering if i'll get 1-2 fingers gap(sorry, too lazy to measure) with ground control....
ryan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #29
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan99
I saw this topic and it was very informative.Thanks to the author.Now i don't have to ask stupid questions.Except one..nobody ask about the clearance from fender to tire(rim and tire size should be considered)I've got a 16" rims with 205/45 tire size.bought cheap coilovers from ebay(i know guys, should have listened or should have ask first.don't worry, am planning to buy groundcontrol coilovers for stock shocks.)still have 3 fingers gap from fender to tires.now am wondering if i'll get 1-2 fingers gap(sorry, too lazy to measure) with ground control....

With a good set slammed all the way down you should be almost able to start tucking ( 1/2 a finger). How ever you need Koni struts or another brand similar in quality to handle such a drop.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #30
noshun
AF Enthusiast

also your tires are the wrong size, a little too small here is a diagram of this the correct againt the ones you have, you've lost close to an inch of sidewall either side of the rim and so your gap is almost that inch larger

btw w'sup cody?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance