Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > IS200/IS300/IS350/Altezza
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Matthew9791
AF Newbie

Question Snow Chains Questions

Hello all. I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 and need to purchase some snow chains/cables for "emergency use" ...I'd like to have them for winter in general, but in particular I will soon be driving through some mountain passes for a road trip and will be in areas where there may be some snow and ice (I may or may not run into these conditions, but want to be prepared).

Anyway, I know nothing about tire accessories in the realm of chains/cables, have never used them, and am a bit confused. My car's manual only mentions that I may want to carry snow chains as part of an emergency kit, but gives no further information. As mentioned, I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 which is RWD. I have the following questions:

- Some sites say that you should only install chains on the drive wheels, and some other sites say that you should always install them on all four wheels regardless. Some say you will lose control of the car if you only put them on two wheels, others say the chains may fail if you put them on non-drive wheels. So, for my RWD Lexus, what do I need to do?

- My car has the "Snow" mode button. Should I use that with the chains or not?

- Are there any things I need to consider with regard to my particular car model/year, or things such as my ABS system, etc?

- What chains/cables etc would you recommend?

Thanks for any assistance!
Matthew9791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
Matthew9791
AF Newbie

Re: Snow Chains Questions

After further research, and talking to someone else with a bit of knowledge, I have found the answers.

- putting chains on all 4 tires on a 2 WD vehicle is safe, and can improve traction vs just having them on the drive wheels

- most chains will note whether they are safe to use with ABS / trac ctrl systems etc

- I chose to go with cables as opposed to chains, as cables are more durable and there are other benefits depending on the brand/model/conditions/vehicle

I just bought two pair of Security Chain Company SZ331 Shur Grip Z Passenger Car Traction Chain
Old 04-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Matthew9791
AF Newbie

I'm probably talking to a wall at this point, but just in case someone in the future reads this thread looking for the same answers...

The SZ331 Shur Grip Z Passenger Car Traction Chains fit the rear wheels, but DO NOT fit the front. On the front, the traction chains do not clear the steering knuckle. It is not possible to drive the car with these chains on the front wheels.

I'm keeping the chains for the rear wheels, and am going to try a set of autosocks for the front wheels.

Hope this helps someone at some point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew9791 For This Useful Post:
Brian R. (04-25-2015)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #4
fangs269
AF Newbie

Thank you Matthew for you research and help, and no you weren't" talking to a wall".. Lol You helped me and that was definitely a GREAT thing!! Again I appreciate it!! ��
fangs269 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > IS200/IS300/IS350/Altezza