Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #16
rockdude
AF Newbie

Re: Low beam headlamps do not work....

well ladies and gentlemen i am a gm tech and i say the problem is a corroded wiring at the splice for the low beam circuit feed you must open hood removed plastic shield around front hood latch assembly remove the right front headlight assembly removed the conduit from the harness that runs through there you will see it it is only one harness ,remove the black covering (tape) and find the section of the taped harness where multiple wires are (soldered together) cut section out if wire is green in color and strip and reconnect wires with new heat shrink butt-connector. wala concern corrected .. just a note ..hope this helps..
rockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
z-24
AF Newbie

well I am not a GM technician and I say that I just had the same problem, went to autozone and bought a new headlight switch for 46 dollars took the steering column apart switched the switches and it was as good as new. I did also check all of my wires from my headlights and there was in fact no corrosion of any type. but my problem now is that I am afraid to put the airbag back into the steering wheel because I am afraid that it may deploy, any step by step descriptions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
z-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
Shawnettinger
AF Newbie

on my cavalier as soon as i pressed the trunk release my daylights nightlights, doom light dash lights stoped working what might be the problem what is wrong with these cavaliers
Shawnettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
yhandor
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to yhandor

hey what are the steps to removing the switch.......mines done and needs replacing.......how do you get it out from start to finish? thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
Shawnettinger
AF Newbie

What happened with my 1990 chevrolet cavalier z24 was as soon as i popped my trunk realease all my light when out and it turn out that the guy i bought it from did a shity wiring job so i look threw the wiring harness and found a rubber caseing with a mini fuze in it i dont know how this guy wiried this stupid thing but it something you should look out for if you bought your car seconde hand for stupid people who think they can rewire cars!!!!!
Shawnettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #21
popecg
AF Newbie

Question Re: Low beam headlamps do not work....

I have replaced the headlight plugs, the headlight switch assembly and still do not have low beams. Everything else works. Guess I will check the wiring harness next.
popecg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #22
popecg
AF Newbie

Just remove the bottom 3 screws found underneath the steering column and both parts pop right off. The switch assembly is held down by two bolts (about 3/8ths. head) ... and the two plugs-ins pop right out. Good luck
popecg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
gever17
AF Newbie

RockDude nailed this one!!!! I have a 1998 Cavalier LS Sedan. My low beams went out and only the drivers high beam was working. DRL light on the dashboard was clicking and blinking like crazy. First I replaced the multi function switch on steering column. No work! Then I replaced the DRL relay. No work! So I searched the net and found this forum. So glad I did! My problem is fixed! I found the wiring harness that feeds the headlights, turn signals and running lights for the front. The connector is located right below the battery. It is accessible from below and from the wheel well. I removed 2 of the splash guards from the front of the wheel well and removed the headlight units. I had to loosen the wiper fluid reservoir so I could pull the harness out after I disconnected it. There was a completely broken wire hanging from the firewall side of the connector and one that was severely corroded. And in the front harness side of the connector right below the drivers side headlight there was a badly corroded connection, a corroded in half connection and a wire that was broken inside the plastic cover. I used a low voltage meter to test the continuity of all the wires. Made the repairs to the harness and connector and it works like new again! Make sure you read RockDudes post and THANKS Rockdude for your post! It pointed me in the right direction! I hope this helps someone else in the future.
gever17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #24
archangel38401
AF Newbie

Sorry to re-open this folks but I could use an opinion.

What I have is no headlights working (DRLs, low/high)? Multi-function switch has been replaced, tested DRL relay, all fuses are good. Can this be an identical issue?
archangel38401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #25
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Use a 12 volt test light check for power to bulbs. If they get wet they burn out quickly. A finger print on bulb will burn them out in a weeks time. If you touch clean with windex and clean with a clean rag.
Check head light switch as they can go bad. Check electrical connections to bulbs. If you have power to bulb check ground wire.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #26
archangel38401
AF Newbie

I found the issue, it was the wiring harness plug beneath the battery tray. Completely corroded inside. Cut it out, spliced the wires back, wrapped it all back up tight, and it's fine. Although I do not have the DRL's? Just something else that could help out the next person save some time searching.
archangel38401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to archangel38401 For This Useful Post:
vicklyn (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #27
vicklyn
AF Newbie

well my kid has a 2004 chevy cavalier, the low-beams will not work..uggh, my dad has tried the fuses, the bulbs, the switch, THANKFULLY, I fond this forum, and he is in process of checking for corroded wiring, fingers crossed. Shes going to be leaving for college soon and we gotta get this solved..thanks for all the feedback that I have read, it may be old feedback, but it has been a great help, in narrowing down ..I will let you now what the answer to our problem was hopefully shortly
vicklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #28
dmmackay
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Cavalier,
There's Plenty of Evidence to suggest it's related to the wiring under the Battery- where corrosion compromised the Pin out Connector:
here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY3k94gALEc

I had called the Dealer, and was told that the recall for this was already done on my car- When I stated that I didn't believe them- that the wiring looked all original-I was told that the recall had expired! I had then said that Recalls don't expire... they then said there was no recall for my call!

I then sent an email via Dealership- but got no reply! V.I.N. 3G1JC5247YS112591

Last edited by dmmackay; 06-07-2016 at 03:14 PM.
dmmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #29
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Some recalls do have time limits......

A lot of repairs are TSB's, and not recalls......TSB's cost the customer if the car is out of it's warranty....

You can go to ANY GM Dealership, and get a printout of what they call, a Vehicle Build......that tells you about any warranty work that was done on your vehicle.....if a campaign or recall was done, it will list the time and place where it was done.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #30
dmmackay
AF Newbie

I appreciate your reply-, and Clarification on Recalls, Tech II.
I did read on the internet (somewhere) that there was no time limit on recalls... So, Sorry to have posted that comment.
As for calling the dealer and getting Mis-Information...and a bit of a RUN AROUND- perhaps they should be more Professional I would say.

Here's another link, which Clearly shows the Problem I am having.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/chevrolet-cavalier-2000-chevy-cavalier-daytime-running-lights
I have also found this link to check for recalls:
https://recalls.gm.ca/#/ (which mine has none apparently)

Last edited by dmmackay; 06-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.
dmmackay is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis