Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #31
somanyexperts
AF Newbie

Re: floating the gears good or bad??

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 6.0L, with a 5 speed. I started floating them at 50,000 and I currently have 190,000 on it. I've driven slow. I've driven fast. I run a 1000 lb Fisher 8.5' XV2 in the winter. I've hauled over 20,000 lb with my dump trailer. I've towed skidsteers, backhoes, mini excavators, and anything else you can think of in the dump trailer. I even float with a load on the truck and yes with that 20,000 too. In your infinite wisdoms, I would've left my tranny about 100,000 miles ago. It's still going just fine. I think there's a bunch of you scared to try anything or just incapable of doing it. If you truly think it's bad for the gears, prove it other than your opinions.

I maintain my RPM's better through shifts. Consequently it's less fuel used to build those lost RPM's back. Unless I'm rough on the old girl, she doesn't make a noise in the tranny. I don't see the point in this double clutch talk. Sounds like a transmission guy's trick to wear your clutch out sooner. It's about like wash, rinse, repeat.

If it wasn't need, why'd they put it there? That's your logic? Even floating, it's still used. Starting, stopping, switching directions. You will need the clutch. How much stuff is on your current vehicle they added but you don't use?
somanyexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #32
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Are we bringing this topic back out for its 10th anniversary? Ok, what the hell it's an interesting topic that I know a thing or two about.
There are 2 types of transmissions mentioned in this discussion (or argument maybe) synchronized (like in cars and light to medium duty trucks) and non synchronized (like in heavy duty and commercial trucks). The answer to the question "should I float gears?" is different for each type.

Synchronized transmissions- my answer would be probably not. The sychromesh gears in this type of transmission were meant to work together with the clutch to make shifts smoother and easier. No need to double clutch, gears can be changed at any RPM using the clutch with a single press. It's actually now more difficult to shift without the clutch and not damage the transmission. It takes a gentle touch most people don't really have, and if you botch too many shifts, it will grind the synchros and tear the transmission apart as it fills up with loose metal shavings. Just use the clutch, it's not that hard.

Non-synchronized transmissions- totally different. With no synchromesh, things get a little tricky. I've driven a couple of semi trucks (not far since I've never had a CDL, but I've done it) and the shifting techniques involve more than just pushing the clutch one time and going to the next gear. First, you have to wait for the right RPM corresponding to your throttle position (and no there is no shift light), then push in the clutch once, go to neutral, release the clutch, push it back in and go in to the next gear... all timed just right so you catch the next gear at the right RPM.
The alternative to this is of course, floating gears. With a non synchronized gearbox, a perfectly safe option, and much easier than the double clutching madness described above. You can basically feel every thing through the shifter. When it seems like it's about time to shift, start to come of the throttle and the shifter will start to loosen up. Pull it out of gear, lift off the throttle and ease it into the next gear (don't force it, or it will grind if you do), all done without even touching the clutch. What makes this method preferable is the number of gears, and the fact that if you do use the clutch, you have to double clutch.
One of the trucks I drove had an eaton-fuller 9 speed manual and that was the lowest number of gears I encountered. It was pretty smooth once I got the hang of it. The other one I actually drove was a Rockwell 10 speed that didn't like to cooperate until it warmed up, which for me it never did, since I only did short trips, but even so, all that clutching will take a toll on the left leg. Even worse, there are such things as 12,13, and even 18 speed transmissions. That's why most real career truckers stop using the clutch soon after passing their licence tests, otherwise their left legs would fall off.

So in conclusion, unless you're driving a commercial truck, use the damn clutch, it's easier than trying to float through the synchros.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #33
SGTBEE
AF Newbie

Sorry but no, Floating gears does not destroy your transmission as long as it's done right. My trainer back in the day, owned a diesel transmission shop and preferred that I floated his gears while being trained using his own truck. He had over 500k on his rig and not once did he have to replace his transmission or clutch. He only used his clutch for stopping and his first initial take off.
SGTBEE is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+