Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
dingobait
AF Regular

Occasional brake chatter

1999 Rodeo LS V6 3.2L MT 277,000 miles.

Over the past few months, I've been experiencing brake "chatter" occasionally at a stop.

It seems to happen mostly on hot days, and within the first few miles of driving, but I haven't recorded that data in any detail.

It's right when I'm getting to a complete stop. It's a chatter that shakes the car when applying the brakes.

I thought at first that it seemed to be coming from the rear, but sometimes it feels like it may be at the front, or maybe it's happening at both.

I pulled the rear shoes and front pads to check the pads, shoes, rotors, and drums but found nothing. I did have a frozen bolt (pin) on one of the front brake calipers, but I fixed that and it still happens, but only occasionally. Some days it doesn't happen at all, and on other days it happens a few times.

The stuck caliper pin wasn't binding the caliper, I just couldn't get the pin out, but soaking the threads in liquid wrench, tapping it, and applying a little leverage freed it up. Before that I could easily spin the disc by hand.

It has never happened in the morning, but seems to happen mostly around mid day and early evening and mostly when the day has been especially hot, which seems strange, but that's how it's been.

It isn't the same feeling as the ABS being applied in a high speed slippery situation, but it is kind of at that frequency.

It feels like the pads or shoes are chattering on the braking surface, but neither of the pads, shoes, rotors, or drums show any signs.

Does anyone know if maybe this is a typical symptom of a master cylinder going out? That is a central common point for all brakes.

It's a 1999 with 277K miles on it and the master cylinder is original, so.....

Also, if the master cylinder is the likely culprit, has anyone replaced one? I've replaced them on other cars so I'd imagine it can't be too tough.

All input welcomed.

Thanks,
Mark
HB, Ca.

Last edited by dingobait; 05-19-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: left a word out
dingobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Occasional brake chatter

Alrighty then.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
dingobait
AF Regular

1999 Rodeo LS 2WD, M/T, 3.2L V6, 282,500 miles

Mine is fixed.

This one was puzzling.

Eventually I figured out that it only occurred when I didn't exceed 25 to 30 mph between stops, and even then it would happen ONLY right before I came to a complete AND GENTLE stop, and even though at that point the wheel was barely turning, the front end of the car would shake and vibrate enough to get the attention of other vehicles and pedestrians.

If I stomped on it when it began to happen (when no-one was behind me), it would stop.

It had to be fixed since all of that vibration was putting too much stress on other parts of the suspension etc.

Why it happened only when I didn't exceed a certain speed is open to interpretation. Somehow the pads didn't sit well at lower speeds?

I disconnected the ABS sensors one at a time to no avail.

I could drive 30 miles or more and have it happen only once or twice or not at all. It never happened in the early morning, or at night, but only during the heat of the day.

I tore it apart again and noticed that on the passenger front wheel the outside brake pad was quite a bit thinner than the inner pad though both had plenty of meat left on them. They were more even on the drivers side, but the inside was still the thicker of the 2.

I replaced both caliper pins on each side and put on new ceramic pads, being sure of course to grease the pins with brake grease, as well as the pad backing-plates (I have drums on the rear and they obviously weren't part of the problem).

It hasn't happened since. It wasn't the rotors or the ABS like so many I talked to suggested.

All's well that ends.

Mark
HB, Ca.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
dingobait
AF Regular

And then, after 4 days of zero incidents, the exact problem resurfaced.

Stay tuned.......
Old 09-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
dingobait
AF Regular

For more on this, see thread "Shaking & Slipping in front when braking?"
Old 11-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
dingobait
AF Regular