Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
Terry Lindsey
AF Newbie

I hope someone on here with a 99 Lincoln Town car signature series can help me I appreciate it

I have a 99 Lincoln Town car ..the cruise control just stop working outta the blue
And I have no clue why I've checked both fuse boxes the one in the car and the one under the hood and no fuses are blown I don't know what else to check

My horn, speedometer all work no problems there..
Terry Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Copytech99
AF Regular

Re: I hope someone on here with a 99 Lincoln Town car signature series can help me I appreciate it

Test all of the brake lights operation.
Copytech99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Terry Lindsey
AF Newbie

Re: I hope someone on here with a 99 Lincoln Town car signature series can help me I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copytech99 View Post
Brake lights are fine they all work no bulbs out
Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Terry Lindsey
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copytech99 View Post
Brake lights all come on when I push ythe brake pedal and they go off when I depressethe pedal
Old 11-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #5
pa59emt
AF Newbie

Ironically, I just created an account on this site for an issue with my 1996 Town Car's cruise control. First post, and I tend to be rather lengthy in my narrative. I realize you have a 99, but this may help.

First off. Thank you @TownCar for your post from 2006 or 2007, you resolved my issue completely. Let's start there, because the "fix" was rather simple, but not obvious. My cruise had been working just fine and dandy, and then stopped. Nothing would happen when I would press the On button on the steering wheel. Like you, fuses all good. I went through many parts, blood, sweat and tears, and money, and this is where I learned that parts for 1995, 96 and 97 model years are not easy to find. I replaced the airbag clock spring, steering wheel / switches, BOO switch (Brake On Off) and cable on master cylinder, under hood servo module / cable, nothing. As with you, all fuses were good. I think there's actually three fuses for the cruise. It's just nothing happened when I pressed On, when that used to cause Speed Control to illuminate on the dash between the Odometer and the Speedometer. Then the post from TownCar that made it all so simple. His suggestion was to drive the car, wait until your speed exceeds 25 mph, press On - nothing happens, then press Set. Voila!!!!!! Cruise kicks in an works as advertised. Once you hit the brake, cruise disengages as advertised, but cruise light goes off.

OK, now for the detail.
Airbag clockspring. It's a device that sits behind the airbag and is responsible for the electric connections to your turning steering wheel - airbag connection, horn, button lights, and cruise control buttons, and steering wheel audio controls. Usually if this goes bad - it's just a long concentric ribbon cable - you'll get an airbag warning light, or your horn stops working, or your cruise control buttons don't do anything, or any combo of these three. This part is just about impossible to find. Only the call center in India auto parts brokers claim to be able to find them.

Cruise control module. Found a 1996 in the junkyard that had one. Not as bad to find online.

BOO. Got this on Amazon, it's a normally closed pressure switch that sits on the side of the master cylinder. It comes with a pressure switch and cable. However, the replacement cable is just that, a simple two wire 8 inch cable. Apparently, there was a recall for this and Lincoln replaced it with a cable with two non replaceable fuses, since this is always hot and was known to spontaneously combust and torch the car. I'll be putting my original back in. Easy to test yours, leave the connector on the switch, disconnect other end, and verify when you put a meter on the two contacts you have continuity. It's an NC (Normally closed) type switch. Basically a redundant disengage cruise safety device if you slam on the brakes and cause pressure to open the circuit.

Switches. Again, found a steering wheel on ebay. You remove the airbag (be careful!), then remove the steering wheel. Simple connector in there to connect switches to clock spring connector.

Now, there was one component I did not touch, and that's the brake light switch. I'm just getting to old and fat and stiff to go looking under the dash.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Again, go with the simple on as recommended by TownCar.
pa59emt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car