Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

west rc211v '02

hi guys,

i'm starting to do the west rc211v '02 hopefully with some room of improvement after the previous bike.

here is the repsol rc211v '02 box kit which will be used as the donor kit along with the s27 west decals set

guys, i need your help here. what i know is to get rid of the seamline after assembling the parts, you have to use the putty to get rid of it, right? i'm wondering in this diagram of one of the parts of the engine, did i do it right? when it's dry, i have to sand it off till it's levelled, right?

adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
ace91
AF Regular

Re: west rc211v '02

this putty job seems to be messier than i thought . anyway, i have removed some excess of it. i better learn to be more patient and composed when doing these things. i'll start painting the engine when the seamlines on the other parts are gone.

adrian
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

I know of two ways to make the seam easier to get rid of. One try making sure your glue has had time to soften the plastic before you put the two halves together. Two, use super glue on the seam after the two halves have been glued together which is what I do most of the time.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
desmo16
AF Newbie

Hey Adrian,
You will really like the S27 decals. I just finished my West RC211V recently. A couple of minor points: the putty seemed to be applied rather heavily. You may wish to try it in thinner applications as it will mean less drying time and less work for you. Also, are you sure you need to putty the engine halves? Ask yourself: will that part of the engine actually be visible when completed? Again, save yourself a lot of unnecessary work: save it for applying CF decals...
Mind you, if you feel it is needed, then it is. You should always be the judge of your own work.
Other than that, enjoy the build. You will be happy when it's done!
desmo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
ace91
AF Regular

yeah desmo,

i thought of it quite a while after applying it. also i do admit that the putty i put on is quite heavy when i see it after that. i already have decided long before started the west that i would only get rid of the seam on the seat cowl & the exhausts where the parts would be viewable in the end.

adrian
Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I'm with Desmo here. You did apply too much putty. I also think you could consider using another type of putty that is more easily sanded. Tamiya has one called "Basic putty" that is quite good. Fill the seam and sand, fill again and repeat until levelled out.
I too think you'll love this build as the West livery is so great!
Joel
Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
rrutherford
AF Regular

actually guys the seam is generically correct and can be left as is. the cases must be split in half to service motor and its this seam that is in correct place. maybe the barrels can be tidied up a bit where the centre part goes.

rod
rrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 AM   #8
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Adrian,
The livery on this bike is awesome and it looks sensational when finished.
Check out my thread and hopefully it will help?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=363688

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #9
ace91
AF Regular

rob, i saw your thread for the west honda. that is really well done & very well detailed. i'll try to build a little bit more detail for this bike than my previous pramac bike. how do u paint the exhaust that made it look realistic. i've been trying to find some ideas but i just couldn't pull it.

joel, i see most japanese modellers in modelergp use mori-mori to get rid of the seamlines. is it good to use?

adrian
Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 AM   #10
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I don't really know what that is, Adrian... Never heard of it... But if the japaneese builders use it you can probably count on it as a good idea!
/J
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 AM   #11
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace91
rob, i saw your thread for the west honda. that is really well done & very well detailed. i'll try to build a little bit more detail for this bike than my previous pramac bike. how do u paint the exhaust that made it look realistic. i've been trying to find some ideas but i just couldn't pull it.

joel, i see most japanese modellers in modelergp use mori-mori to get rid of the seamlines. is it good to use?

adrian
The Mori Mori is a two-part putty which is excellent to sand and shape once dry. It's also fast drying which makes it very useful in large area's. If you look at progress threads that have a yellow looking putty that is what it probably is.
I finish most of my exhausts using the Tamiya clear paints as described here:
http://tamiya.com/english/howto/bike1/tip1.htm

Old 08-10-2006, 05:22 AM   #12
ace91
AF Regular

rob, i see that the tamiya site suggests using the airbrush. do u use the airbrush to do so? or do u use the normal paintbrush? it's pretty expensive to purchase the airbrush & i'm sure the airbrush is useless without the machine, right?

adrian
Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace91
rob, i see that the tamiya site suggests using the airbrush. do u use the airbrush to do so? or do u use the normal paintbrush? it's pretty expensive to purchase the airbrush & i'm sure the airbrush is useless without the machine, right?

adrian
Yep, I use an airbrush for almost all of my painting. Although expensive when you include a compressor, it does make a big improvement!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hey ace91 good luck on this new project!! the black colours looks nice on this bike, i hope to see next pictures soon

Roca
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #15
ace91
AF Regular

hi,

has been a while since i started the west rc211v. gotten a bit lazy lately but i managed to get myself to continue.

here is the engine which is completed. at least i'm sure the putty spots wouldn't be that obvious after i painted the engine.

adrian

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes