Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #31
SNIPER316
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 BMW 325I Transmission problem

This is really upsetting. I have a 2004 BMW 325ci which I picked up in November '03. This problem has been there since day 1, but in the beginning it was just slight. I thought it was normal since I bought a 'sporty' car with the steptronic. Then last week, the 'stallling' was way, way too long to be normal. I called it in, and will be bringing my car in this Monday. Wish me luck.

I'm glad this forum was here so I am more aware.
SNIPER316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #32
318power
AF Newbie

lol

Someone already said get a manual but I wanted to add, if you drive auto tranny you should be injured, disabled, or 70 years old! Auto trannies are for TRANSEXUAL SISSIES IRL omg owned!
318power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:45 PM   #33
JD4900
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 BMW 325I Transmission problem

There is a problem w/pressure leaking down when the vehicle sits. In the begining BMW did not know what was wrong. They tried reprogramming the shift delay time but quickly found this was not the problem. Trans replacment was the remedy. The reason for the delay was b/c tech line would only release the transmission on a "per complaint and verified bases and only through the FSE (BMW field service engineer)" but they are now available for regular ordering and they have enough in stock.
JD4900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #34
footeh
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1
I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. My wife stated that when she puts the transmission from reverse to drive. It does not engage for about 5 secs or longer. So if you went from reverse to drive and then give it gas, it will feel like it is slipping and then engages causing the car to jerk. She called the BMW dealer and was told that it is a computer problem but they have no solution to the problem? Does anyone know anyhting about this ?
Yes, I have a BMW 325i that I purchased in April 2003 that has the same exact problem. The dealership in Virginia told me that nothing was wrong and it was the secondary air pump. However, just this past month, a dealership in Florida told me that they have seen this problem before and they are ordering me a whole new transmission. My car was doing the exact same thing. Your wife needs to take the car to the dealer and ask them to replace the transmission.
footeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #35
SNIPER316
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 BMW 325I Transmission problem

Hey y'all,

I just took my car to the dealer, and they knew right away what I was referring to when I brought my car to them. Reminder that I have a 2004 BMW 325ci, picked it up in November '03.

Anyway, it's working great now, they replaced the transmission. Still upset by the whole situation though.

$hit happens...
SNIPER316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:35 AM   #36
crash8168
AF Enthusiast

There is a new software update that fixes this now, no more replacement of the trans.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #37
AdLib
AF Newbie

It's true they now have foud a way to reprogram the transmissions. But on my X3 they decided last week to replace it anyway: the job was done last Thursday, june 10 2004. I was told that BMW are very fussy about their image and want to take no chances with a new product sich as the X3.
AdLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #38
cds51494
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cds51494

My BMW is a stick so i don't have a problem with that, but my cadillac CTS has had that problem, the dealer didn't know what to do, but it seems to be hit and miss. It doesn't always jerk around, they just said to let it warm up more.
cds51494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:28 AM   #39
srinath10
AF Newbie

First, a note about warming up your BMW in cold weather:

Don't do it! If you read the BMW Owner Manual for the '03 3-series, BMW techies and engineers strongly suggest you drive off immediately after starting your car in cold weather. Its just the way BMW engines are designed. Falling on the subject of transmissions, warming up the car has no impact on the tranny.

Anyways, I have acquired a 2003 BMW 325i Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle here in New York with an automatic steptronic transmission under a 55,000 mile new vehicle warranty. Originally purchased at 15,000 miles, the car started having transmission problems around 22,000 miles. The transmission warning light would appear next to the gear below the odometer. Of course, the transmission warning light does not appear ANYWHERE in the BMW manual, so after completing research online for my model(mainly edmunds and epinions), I suspected a fault in the transmission. Nonetheless, I head over to my local BMW dealership and was told that in fact, that light signified a fault with the transmission. They didn't have any loaner cars so I'm bringing it in tommorow, as I hope they'll service my vehicle for quite awhile (especially if the tranny is imported from Germany.) I told them that the light appears sporadically, and usually when the weather is cold-however, it has happened once or twice in slightly warmer weather. It results in severly limited engine responsiveness and shifting from Drive to Reverse or vice versa during this time, is abnormal in that it takes an excessive amount of time to shift gears (slips for a few seconds, then shifts-however, the shift is inaudiable which is of course, abnormal.) I can see how the dealership can return my vehicle without making any repairs. The light only appears once in awhile, and theirs no way I can prove of this fault without the actual service tech. test driving the vehicle during these conditions. In any case, we'll see what happens in a few days. Since the dealership I bought my used car from is known for outstanding service, I'll probably find out what they'll do with the car Tuesday afternoon. If what everyone is saying about the new software upgrade is true, then maybe I won't need a new tranny.

If the problem persists, I'll resort to contacting BMW of North America, JD Power & Associates, and Consumer Reports on the issue. Maybe BMW will then fix all tranny problems with 2003+ vehicles on the first service repair, at no charge for those without a warranty. It would be a smart move to avoid a forcible recall.

Not sure if anyone reads this topic anymore, but I'll be sure to keep the topic updated for future reference.

Srinath
Driving Enthusiast
srinath10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #40
supervisor1886
Banned

Thats a freaking 3 year old tread.!!!!! MUST BE A NEWBIE

DOnt bring it alive after all those years PLEASE!!!!
IF you are responding to the same question just start another one.!!!
supervisor1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #41
srinath10
AF Newbie

Well bud, its the main thread that appears on Google for searching the specific problem.

Gotta love the google
srinath10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #42
supervisor1886
Banned

Well yeah, but could you make a link to the tread or start a new one, because its funny when some people, that by the way arent even alive anymore, resive the answers to their qtions. Weird,right? Its better if you make it a separate tread since you have used the tread for future refences. There are people that do the same thing, but they usually update their projects that take years to build.

GOOGLE kicks ass in some cases. I went and googled my name in, and what do u know, found some info on myself.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #43
Ukrainian
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyalf
Jeez!!! Maybe you guys should get manuals, BMW is not supposed to be driven with automatic people!! Its not even really a luxury car, its a sports sedan!!
i`ve got the one with a manual tranny....and its great....no problems so far......lol.....and its almost 6 years old
Ukrainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #44
supervisor1886
Banned

Noone cares-the tread is 3 years old. So just start post whoring here.