Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
stoopithed
AF Newbie

Suspension Troubles

Ok so this might be a little long I apologize in advance.

I bought my 02 Galant ES used. It was lowered, had an exhaust, racing headers and some nice extras. About 3 months ago I found out that my Galant had a cracked coil spring. Terrifying. I was told by like 3 shops that whomever owned the car before me did a crappy home job of lowering the car and that they cut the springs. I'm new to this so I believed them. So I decide to buy new kyb shocks and rear mounts (they were bad), and megan lowering springs (brings it up from about 3" drop to a 2" drop). I wanted it done right this time. So i drove it for a bit out of necessity then decided to let it sit til I get the parts and money. 2 months later I finally have the parts and money to get it fixed and I have a mechanic come to me to fix it. After paying $35 to rent an air compressor (his was broken) he takes off the front passenger side wheel to take a look and I found out that I actually had coilovers in my car. Cool except that doesnt help. Then he tells me I need new strut mounts for the front cause the springs cant sit on what I have on them. I order some new ones ($40 w/ shipping). He came back yesterday and I'm excited. Woo hoo gonna drive again! Turns out what I need was the upper spring seat. Nobody carries them not even the dealership has em in stock. So I pay $50 each for 2 front strut assemblies at a junkyard. This is getting costly and I have 4 mouths aside from my own to feed. GF is pissed. We get the springs compressed and stuff its good to go! Now we find out that the stabilizer link is like 2-4 inches too long (I cant remember what it actually looked like and we didnt meaasure)! WTF!!!

Can anyone help me please? I'm gonna lose my hair from stress I swear. GF is even more pissed and my mechanic is confused. I dont know what to do here and I'm running out of money for this.
stoopithed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Re: Suspension Troubles

I see this quite often, being that I work for a Mitsubishi dealer. You have a bunch of aftermarket parts and they all are not working together to give a decent lowered ride. I know it's pricy but Ralliart (Mitsu's in-house performance shop) makes parts that won't give you problems or use KYB. Mixing and matching suspension components is a nightmare in addition to the crappy job of lowering the vehicle in the first place.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
stoopithed
AF Newbie

Re: Suspension Troubles

thank you for the reply.

we did get them on and it shouldnt have been as difficult as it was. because he was using a racing jack it caused the side that was on the ground to put pressure on the sway bar which caused the link to raise up on the opposite side. so once we lowered the car back down the sway bar evened out and the link fit right in. either way the original job of installing coilovers wasnt a crappy job, they did a good job its just that it was done so long ago. to give you an idea i could actually move the rear struts in and out with almost no effort, there was no life left in those things.
stoopithed is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant