Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
bullet50000
AF Newbie

Re: First car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
Correction. (if you even have it) your parents payed $5,000 for the Jag, and the insurance.

Ohh, just throwin this out there. The RX-8 would be WAY cheaper to maintain than ANY Jag
no need for the correction. I am not a spoiled brat who has his parents buy his car
bullet50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
arock7musicx
AF Newbie

An rx8 might be a good choice if the insurance isn't too bad for you. Unfortunately it probably will be more expensive than any of the cars you originally listed. Plus they get terrible gas mileage.

If low insurance costs are a main priority, then some of the responses farther up had it right when they told you to go with something a little more low-key. Either that, or start with something less expensive that will be easy on insurance, and then use the left over money to make it faster.

Also, if you or someone close to you has some mechanical aptitude, I would consider getting an older civic or integra. Find one dirt cheap, swap in a b18 (they are cheap nowadays since everyone wants a k20), some bolt ons/power adder, wheels and tires etc... you could have a nice, reliable, personalized, and quick car for under 15 grand EASY. Not to mention they are much easier to work on and maintain than if you picked up a VW.

I know you said no domestics, but this is at least still a sport compact - consider picking up a dodge neon. The 2.4 from the dodge stratus practically just bolts right in, get a used turbo/manifold/etc from an srt-4, some engine management, and that will still leave room in your budget for plenty of other modifications.

Consider a mazda 3. They can be had fairly cheap. Get one for under 10 grand and youll have enough left to get a turbo kit from tri point engineering or something and have a homemade mazdaspeed 3!

240sx? Miata? There are lots of options...
arock7musicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
AutoService101
AF Newbie

Take a look at the KIA SOUL. Great little car and would work good with your price range and you can buy it new instead of buying someone elses use junk. KIA has a great warranty - 5yr or 60K limited bumper to bumper and 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain. People think kia's quality is not so good but I will tell you a little secret (I am sure I will get flamed) but a car is a car. All manufacturers today are on same level playing ground. To much technology means trouble for all! Either way check one out and see what you think....
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
arock7musicx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoService101 View Post
People think kia's quality is not so good but I will tell you a little secret (I am sure I will get flamed) but a car is a car.
Umm.... no
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
AutoService101
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arock7musicx View Post
Umm.... no
LOL, Hate to say it but the Soul has been a good vehicle so far for KIA, it has had less issue's then most cars I have worked with in the past (especially first year vehicle's), guess 20 years working in the business has opened my eye's to things the consumer is unaware of.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
arock7musicx
AF Newbie

I'm not aruging for or against the Soul. I have actually heard good things about that particular vehicle, as well as the Forte. And while Kia and Hyundai both have stepped up their game in recent years, I don't think it's very good to tell a new driver that "a car is a car." Especially when 99% of the cars on the road are not brand new vehicles. I can tell you from experience that my first car (1994 Saturn SC2) is not of the same caliber as my later cars (for example my rx7, mustang, or even my old bonneville).

To the OP: All that being said, if you're not the type who wants to wrench on his own car, or if you just want the security of owning a practically new car, a Kia Forte might not be a bad sporty option for you. It would be unique and you would be on the first wave of tuners to modify one.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #22
AutoService101
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arock7musicx View Post
I'm not aruging for or against the Soul. I have actually heard good things about that particular vehicle, as well as the Forte. And while Kia and Hyundai both have stepped up their game in recent years, I don't think it's very good to tell a new driver that "a car is a car." Especially when 99% of the cars on the road are not brand new vehicles. I can tell you from experience that my first car (1994 Saturn SC2) is not of the same caliber as my later cars (for example my rx7, mustang, or even my old bonneville).

To the OP: All that being said, if you're not the type who wants to wrench on his own car, or if you just want the security of owning a practically new car, a Kia Forte might not be a bad sporty option for you. It would be unique and you would be on the first wave of tuners to modify one.
Point well taken and I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry. I agree fully that when comparing new to used there is a big differance. I really was trying to suggest looking at new cars over used cars because of the issues a person can have with someone elses used junk (not that all used cars are junk but a lot of people out there do not take good care of there vehicles at all so buying used is like rolling the dice). I was thinking because of his price range a Kia Soul may be a good option in his situation and price range.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #23
arock7musicx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoService101 View Post
not that all used cars are junk but a lot of people out there do not take good care of there vehicles at all so buying used is like rolling the dice
Oh boy is that a lesson I've learned before! It was a good learning experience though, and I know a lot of what I do because of those cars. Then again, when I was a new driver I just had the $1500 I'd saved up the previous summer to buy a car with. If I could have started out working on a nice new car, I probably would have. I wouldn't take it back now though.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet50000 View Post
no need for the correction. I am not a spoiled brat who has his parents buy his car
So your 16 and you can afford to spend 5k on a Jag, damned near 5k per year on insurance, and another couple grand a year to fix the POS? Bullshit.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons