Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Terrain
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
sierra77
AF Newbie

Question Terrain has clunking sound during turn.

My sister has a 2010 GMC Terrain. 3.0L V6 with AWD. Has approximately 80,000 miles on it.
Recently she has complained about a clunking noise while turning. She said she had it into the GM dealership and the techs were unsure of the issue. She said they told her they replaced some mounting bolts with some shorter ones and it cost her around $400 total for the labor and such. They said that was "a place to start", but the noise has not gone away. I had a chance to drive it this past weekend. I experienced the subtle 'bump' when turning left, or straightening the wheel after turning right. I could also feel the bump on the gas pedal in my foot. I could not however feel it in the steering wheel.
To me, I would say that it either seems like the rack is sticking slightly when turning, or the tie rod is worn, but I guess I'm wondering if that would be felt in the wheel? She texted me this morning and stated that now it does it no matter which way she turns. Has anyone seen or heard of any issues like this with the Terrain? By the way, it is not a continuous clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk like a cv axle. It does it like two times per turn. Her husband is a farmer and is extremely busy with the upcoming harvest, so Big Brother is trying to help her out. Her warranty is up, so she's hoping to get some ideas that she can take back to the dealership for the morons to look at.

Last edited by sierra77; 09-30-2013 at 01:51 PM.
sierra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Terrain has clunking sound during turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra77 View Post
My sister has a 2010 GMC Terrain. 3.0L V6 with AWD. Has approximately 80,000 miles on it.
Recently she has complained about a clunking noise while turning. She said she had it into the GM dealership and the techs were unsure of the issue. She said they told her they replaced some mounting bolts with some shorter ones and it cost her around $400 total for the labor and such. They said that was "a place to start", but the noise has not gone away. I had a chance to drive it this past weekend. I experienced the subtle 'bump' when turning left, or straightening the wheel after turning right. I could also feel the bump on the gas pedal in my foot. I could not however feel it in the steering wheel.
To me, I would say that it either seems like the rack is sticking slightly when turning, or the tie rod is worn, but I guess I'm wondering if that would be felt in the wheel? She texted me this morning and stated that now it does it no matter which way she turns. Has anyone seen or heard of any issues like this with the Terrain? By the way, it is not a continuous clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk like a cv axle. It does it like two times per turn. Her husband is a farmer, so his priorities right now are, Combine, Tractors, livestock, Kids, Wife, Wife's car, unfortunately in that order.
So Big Brother is trying to help her out. Her warranty is up, so she's hoping to get some ideas that she can take back to the dealership for the morons to look at.

Only on turns? To me it sounds like possibly a internal problem with the rack and pinion, worn rack mounts, or possibly a steering intermediate shaft. Usually a steering shaft will make a noise every 90deg of steering wheel rotation.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
sierra77
AF Newbie

I just asked her if it ever does it for her while traveling straight. She said yes. Most often right after a turn while accelerating. She said, "Yes, I'm done turning and going straight again...picking up speed and 'clunk'."

I personally only experienced it when I was turning. It was like a subtle thump as if someone was tapping on something with a rubber mallet. It did it two times (Thump Thump) when I was turning left, and it would thump once when I was straightening the wheel after a right hand turn. But she obviously drives it all the time and I only took it for a 5 minute test drive.

Last edited by sierra77; 09-30-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Quote:
I just asked her if it ever does it for her while traveling straight. She said yes. Most often right after a turn while accelerating. She said, "Yes, I'm done turning and going straight again...picking up speed and 'clunk'."

I personally only experienced it when I was turning. It was like a subtle thump as if someone was tapping on something with a rubber mallet. It did it two times (Thump Thump) when I was turning left, and it would thump once when I was straightening the wheel after a right hand turn. But she obviously drives it all the time and I only took it for a 5 minute test drive.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with your vehicle and understand your frustration with this issue. Are you thinking of taking your vehicle to the dealership and maybe having a technician drive along with you?

Amber N.
GM Customer Care
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
sierra77
AF Newbie

Amber,
Perhaps you didn't pick up on the fact that it is not my vehicle, or I should have stated that my sister lives 3 hours away. She has had the vehicle into the dealership twice. Surely the technicians have taken it for at least one test drive in those two separate service 'attempts'.
I would hope that GM doesn't just hear the word "Clunk" and automatically think, "Hmm, sounds like some bad bolts to me" I told her from the get go that that sounded like BS. In my opinion, if there were some bolts in that vehicle that were slightly too long, I think they would have shown their ugly face a LOT SOONER than 80,000 MILES!!!
My sister said the last thing the technicians told her after replacing the bolts for $400, was, "If that doesn't do it, we're not sure what it is." Wow. Really?
Obviously it wasn't the bolts....Can she return them please. She'd like her $400 back!
I'm just fishing for anyone on here that has maybe run across a similar situation.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Hi sierra77,

My apologies-- I didn't see your initial post. I also hope that the technician's statement didn't affect your sister's confidence in the work performed. Since a repair has already been completed on her vehicle, I cannot guarantee that she'll be able to get her $400 back. However, we do provide a 12 months, 12,000 mile warranty on parts, and if another issue arises, I would be happy to reach out to the dealership myself.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
sierra77
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
Only on turns? To me it sounds like possibly a internal problem with the rack and pinion, worn rack mounts, or possibly a steering intermediate shaft. Usually a steering shaft will make a noise every 90deg of steering wheel rotation.
Turns out that the problem was a bad wheel hub bearing. My sister took it in again yesterday and had the technician drive while she rode along. He heard the clunk and said that they would get working on it and see if they can get it fixed by the end of the day.
She texted me last night and said that it was a wheel bearing. I'm assuming the hub assembly. I've never heard a hub bearing clunk like that before, but she said that the sound is gone. So obviously that was the problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Turns out that the problem was a bad wheel hub bearing. My sister took it in again yesterday and had the technician drive while she rode along. He heard the clunk and said that they would get working on it and see if they can get it fixed by the end of the day.
She texted me last night and said that it was a wheel bearing. I'm assuming the hub assembly. I've never heard a hub bearing clunk like that before, but she said that the sound is gone. So obviously that was the problem.
Wow. That bearing must have had quite a bit of play in it. I've only run into a bearing causing a clunk noise when it was completely shot, causing many other noises and vibrations also. Glad to hear she got it fixed!
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Quote:
Hi sierra77,

Glad to hear that your sister's vehicle is now fixed! Keep us posted if anything else comes up with either of your vehicles.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Terrain