Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Re: This weather is KILLING ME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA
Don't be a bunch of girls. I live in the northeast, this has been a very mild winter. I've ridden almost every day.

If you rode a little more, you wouldn't lose track of your gloves. (Besides, if you rode more, you'd know you need a spare pair of winter gauntlets for when the first pair doesn't dry overnight after riding home in that 38 degree rain; two rainsuits is best too)

Yes, you have to be prepared for it, you have to understand what it does to your bike and to the roads, but it's just cold weather.

What, are skiers tougher than you? I don't hear them moaning about the cold.

Throw a leg over it.
I rode 53 miles yesterday because it was warm! (40) There's 8 inches of snow now, so no riding today.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
Steel
AF Fanatic

40 is NOT warm.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA
What, are skiers tougher than you? I don't hear them moaning about the cold.
I AM a skier (AND a girl). Most skiers don't reach speeds upward of 30mph in this weather. I am all about some cold and some snow... but not on 2 wheels.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel
40 is NOT warm.
Warm enough to ride!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediva
I am all about some cold and some snow... but not on 2 wheels.
It was an absolutely gorgeous day here yesterday for riding, just cold! The skies were crystal clear, and all of the water was beautiful. Try a cold ride some day, you might like it!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #21
Steel
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
It was an absolutely gorgeous day here yesterday for riding, just cold! The skies were crystal clear, and all of the water was beautiful. Try a cold ride some day, you might like it!
BTDT, hated it, and the cold road likes to keep the tires nice and slippery. No thanks. 65*+ only.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #22
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

People who brag about riding in any cold weather are usually the ones hiding in the A/C and taking the car when it gets over 85 degrees....

Very few people are real tolerant of both extremes....I can ride and be comfortable in cold down to the teens, but despise riding in the heat of summer.

Interesting distinction between the two....hot never stops...but once you've rode a few miles in the cold you go numb and can't feel it anymore

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #23
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Also riding in the heat is fine if you are out of the city and keep moving...I can deal with that. It's the stop and go, sitting over a hot motor with 150 degree asphalt and the sun baking you from above and below that I can't deal with...

I just like the cold. No bugs, no sunburn, bike runs crisp, people in cars look at you like you are out of your freaking mind, etc

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
FNA
AF Regular

"People who brag about riding in any cold weather are usually the ones hiding in the A/C and taking the car when it gets over 85 degrees"

I have to disagree.

IMO, people who ride in cold temperature/weather extremes most often are the most avid of motorcyclists and will ride even more in nice or hot weather.

I had that 38 degree rain I mentioned in my earlier post on the way home last night. (Gotta put that helmet shield back on one of these days). If I am going to ride home 26 miles in the dark, in rain and sleet and close to freezing temperatures, you think I am not going to run when it's 90 and sunny? Oh yeah, I wear the leather when it's 90 too.

The way you have to look at it is how it is always cool to be a biker. Somebody says "Aren't you hot?" I just shake my head, because I know "No man, I'm cool."
FNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #25
Steel
AF Fanatic

Oh i'll be riding in June in Arizona, so extreme heat does not bother me in the least.

I found when riding in the cold is sure, your body goes numb (and chilled to the bone, not healthy) But your muscles slow down nicely too, so i couldnt react to situations as quickly as i'm used to. No thanks.

1. Cold tires
2. Cold muscles
3. Shitty road conditions
4. Unaware cagers

All good reasons why i don't ride in the cold. Brr. BRRRRRRR
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

I won't ride below 40*F (when I have a bike, that is...) There is too much that can go wrong when the temps drop much below that. The PA roads NEVER clear off between December and May, so there is a guarantee of all kinds of crap on the road during that time period anyway. Thanks, but I'll keep the shiny side up instead of trying to be a hardass.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #27
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

I rode almost every day this past summer. Even when the temps here were over 100 (yeah, in freakin' Maine it gets over 100!). It does suck to sit in stop and go traffic with a helmet, jacket and the engine cranking out even more heat. But I still enjoyed riding every day!
Riding in the cold isn't so bad. It is true that you do get a bit numb from the cold after a while. I have some heated gloves that I haven't hooked up yet, but that will help. After a few miles the tires warm up, so you have good traction, and as long as you aren't "canyon carving", you'll be fine.
The bike sure does run crisper when it's cold, and actually it ran great even after sitting for almost a month since I rode it last.
Either way, it's a different part of riding, and the nay sayers should try it at least once!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #28
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I'll ride down to the low 40's and that's it. Anything lower, and it's just not fun for me. Riding in the winter in Michigan is too messy. They use a ton of salt on the roads here, which is a bitch to clean out of al the cracks and crevices. Whether you ride a Sportbike (much aluminum) or a Harley/Cruiser, (much Chromium), it takes it's toll on those pretty parts. If we get a nice day after a rain in the winter (to rinse the white salt residue off the roads), I'll be out there. I rode at least once every month last year.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #29
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

^ same here. 40-45 and that's all i can tolerate before i feel like it's unsafe to ride. i get cold and stiff which makes me all rigid and not want to lean with the bike. it's just not fun or safe.

FNA what kind of bike do you ride? is it a cruiser or a sport bike? i'd be much more inclined to ride a cruiser in bad weather than a sport bike. oh and BTW, i found my gloves.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes