Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

something weird is happening

i haven't ridden since my flat tyre and have only just replaced them. gone for the Metzeler M3's over the previous Michelin Power's. apparantly they are better in the wet and last longer while being just as good in the dry.

anyhoo. as i rode on the shit tyres to the shop, the bike did not want to turn. at low speeds it felt normal but at road going speed, it would not turn and once in a turn it did not want to adjust or come back up. got the tyres changed and the same thing is happening. i replaced the rear brakes is case the pads were locked on and causing a drag effect. minimal effect.

anyone ever seen this or something similar?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: something weird is happening

did you check your rear wheel bearings and swing arm bearings. It's possible that when the rear tire went and the bike got wobbly on you, that it either damaged the rear wheel/sing arm bearings orthrew the rear wheel out of alignment.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Ususally I've found that sensation resulting from an underinflated rear tire...it changes the shape of the tread radius and makes the rear not want to follow the front's lead...

I'm sure you've checked, but sometimes people pass over the basics in search of a larger problem...

Not unusual for a new tire to loose some air on a bike until it beads in real good.

Like rich said, a loose axle adjuster can let the rear wheel drift and "rear steer", which also fights your steering inputs...

My friend's XS850 had a similar problem, and after checking all the usual causes (tire pressure, swingarm, steering head, etc), I found all the lower triple clamp's pinch bolts were extemely loose, like I could turn them by hand...the fork tubes were walking fore and aft when you turned the steering, enough to cause a kind of "rubber band" feeling to the steering, reluctant to react or stand up once leaned over...scary...

Is it possible the new tires simply have a different radius that you are more aware of because you're a bit hyper sensitive after riding the flat and the shagged tire?

...empty gun rack.

Last edited by jeffcoslacker; 11-30-2007 at 08:58 AM.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i checked the air pressures and they were fine.

took it for a hard ride and it felt all good again.

maybe the rear brakes were dragging. i still took it to the mechanic and had him ride it and check it over. he found nothing.

the new M3 Metezler's are awesome. they stick like stink to a turd.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes