Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 07:05 AM   #1
Tom Cole
AF Newbie

Question A? about wheel size for a '91 Toyota pickup

I recently bought a used '91 Toyota pickup. 4cyl 22R-E-RN(manual), two wheel drive, 5speed. It is just what I needed, a plain old truck, no power steering, no AC. A previous owner replaced the standard wheels and tires (14x5J rims P195/75R14) with larger 15 inch wheels using P215/70R15. The truck steering is very stiff in parking maneuvers. The truck seems a little top heavy when going around curves. Also, the truck seems to be sensitive to even moderate wind at highway speeds on the interstate. This is without a load. Since this is my first truck, I just don't know whether these are normal driving characteristics. Should I consider changing back to the original wheel size? Would this improve the handling? Also, do the larger wheels significantly increase engine wear, transmission, clutch, differential, etc. wear?
Tom Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
Luke@tirerack
AF Enthusiast

the tire diameter you have chosen is correct. 1 question I would have is what is the offset of the wheel because that can create the condition you are descibing but, the driving characteristics of a truck are significantly different than a car .... post the wheel info and we may have more helpful advice

Objects in the mirror appear ... to be losing !!!
Luke@tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote