Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
99ChevyMalibu
AF Newbie

Cool Troubles while Idling and Driving slowly

Anyone? Please help!

I am planning to take my car in next week for a checkup regarding this problem, but in the meantime, it just seems to be getting worse and I'm worried about the safety of driving it at all:

Re: 1999 Chevy Malibu
When I stop at a light, within a few moments, my car starts to sort of jerk a little; the only analogy I can make is that it's like it's burping I've found that if I put it in Neutral, or better yet park, the frequency of these jerks is little to none. However, even when I shift back into drive, it hesitates and jerks a little until I reach appr. 35 mph.

Does this sound like a familiar problem? Anything I can likely fix on my own? Should I stop driving it until I get it fixed?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Last edited by 99ChevyMalibu; 01-25-2007 at 11:20 AM.
99ChevyMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
cheerios1
AF Newbie

Re: Troubles while Idling and Driving slowly

I may be reading too much into this but try checking a few things.....

-check the air filter
-when does it jerk, when breaking or just typical driving under 35mph
-describe the jerk, does it feel like it's not wanting to take off
-i have a malibu 98 so my revs show when idling, is it steady or is it moving up and down when idle??

Last edited by cheerios1; 01-26-2007 at 08:03 PM.
cheerios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
99ChevyMalibu
AF Newbie

check the air filter (sadly, I don't know how...i'll ask a friend

-when does it jerk, when breaking or just typical driving under 35mph
it jerks the most around 10 mph and at a stop. if i put it in park or neutral at a stoplight, it's basically fine, but then it jerks when i switch to drive and pushes against me intermittently, definitely up until 20 mph, but sometimes up to around 30-35 mph.

-describe the jerk, does it feel like it's not wanting to take off
yeah, i'd say it feels like it's pushing against me, hesitating, and it's slow to respond too. when i shift out of neutral to drive, it take a very long 3 seconds for it to engage and start going again.

-i have a malibu 98 so my revs show when idling, is it steady or is it moving up and down when idle??
i'm not exactly sure what you mean; if i were to keep it in drive as i was stopped at a light, it would be randomly jerking the whole time, with the rpms slightly going up and down...

thanks for responding! i've been talking to a lot of people who are warning me that it may be a transmission issue, unfortunately...
Old 01-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
cheerios1
AF Newbie

Before narrowing it down to the tranny...check the idler, reason I say that I had combustion issues. EGR valve giving me the code, cleaned intake areas & everything I could think of and finally when i was done, at least thinking i was, my 98 malibu started idling funny. (this was all happening to me 2 weeks ago)
Revs at a stop light would go up and down and like your situation, I would put it to park then all would be okay. When it was time to go, it would jerk a little at take off, (never paid attn. to the speed) and as i picked up speed i was fine.
I stopped at an Advanced Auto they recognized the issue by my description. They showed me where the idler was located, cost me $9 bucks. I believe it's also reffered to as an IAT temparature sensor in the intake area after the filter (u have a 99, i don't think it's any different). When I replaced that sensor, my jerking stopped asap...
It's worth a short....first things first though, stop by an Advanced or Auto Zone and see if they can recognize the issue and ask them if the idler could be what's causing the jerking.
Never asked you but do you have an engine light on???
Old 01-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
99ChevyMalibu
AF Newbie

wow, i will definitely check in with them (once it stops snowing outside)...i'd be thrilled if this could be a $10 fix. was it easy for you to install the idler yourself?

the check engine light did go on, just yesterday, but that was after almost 2 weeks of driving it with this issue (and my car has always had a very sensitive check engine light sensor: goes off at the smallest things). does the check engine light automatically mean it's likely a more serious problem?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
cheerios1
AF Newbie

Yep, the sensor sits quite tight in the intake area, has a connector plugged to it, so u have to remove the connector, shaped like a clip, it's plastic so when you try to lift it to remove be careful, too much tension could break it. Once the connector is out u're left with the sensor and pulling it out is the all time job, it sits tight and yes u pull by hand. But best advise, see if someone can help u cause if u're not sure what u're doing u have to almost remove the whole intake so it's easy to pull out. Once u're shown how to do it, next time u try it there's nothing to it.

viola, check engine light, just as i was thinking. definitley let the advanced and auto zone scan for codes first, then if they give several codes, they can print out or at least write them down, post them on here and trust me there's tons of help here...
think of it this way, todays cars are getting sophisticated, everything is electrical. anything faulty electrically will cause that engine light to come on, doesn't always mean something is serious but it starts by notifying u where the issue usually is. I prefer the old models, being i learned the issues and solved, but todays cars, i can solve but if an electrical fault happens, takes a whole lot to get rid of the electrical and that's a pain in the u know what. But again, most people rather the electrical...welcome to the electronic age
Old 01-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Malibu_Newbie
AF Newbie

I have had a similar problem. Between sometimes this happens at 30 mph but most times at 50-60 mph the car kinda lurches. Well took the car to a tranny guy and he said it was the TCC (torque converter cluch) going bad. It will cost somewhere between 300-400 to replace the part. Also the Throttle Positioning Sensor was going bad but we replaced that ourselves at a cost of about 30 dollars.
Malibu_Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #8
SPRaYeD9
Banned

just go drive at top speed..it'll be ok
SPRaYeD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
bcopeland
AF Enthusiast

How about getting a check engine code read if possible? usually, the first things would be fire (ignition - plugs, wires, etc.).
bcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
99ChevyMalibu
AF Newbie

will do tomorrow...
let you know!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
JoePete
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to JoePete Send a message via Yahoo to JoePete

Mine (98 3.1) was doing the same thing. I canged the Catalytic converter and the Throttle Positioning Sensor and now it's running strong.
JoePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
Negatoro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Negatoro

Pull codes. If the CEL is lit, autozone will do the scan for you for free.

Stored error codes will usually guide you in the right direction.

-Mark T.
Negatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fiberglasscivic Send a message via Yahoo to fiberglasscivic

Honestly, if the problem stops or lessens greatly when you shift into neutral/park then the problem is most likely the transmission.

-Have you noticed a change in your gas mileage lately (has it gotten worse)

-During accelleration does the car shudder, hesitate to change gears, or change gears very hard (doesn't have to be just one, it could be all three)

-After your car has been driven for a few minutes and has reached normal operating temprature, look under the car below the driver's side door. Is there anything red hot close to the center of the car?

-Does the problem seem to appear while traveling up hill or trying to pull a heavy load of any sort?

SPRaYeD9

You need to reread the AF Community Guidelines. Specifically this,

Appendix:

Non-Contributing Member:
Any member that is not contributing to AF, by either saying outrageous stupid things or is not saying anything of value in the topic at hand can be considered to be a non-contributing member. Most of these are outlined within this document such as but not limited to spam and post whoring. You can be notified, and if necessary restricted to certain sections of AF or banned. This is done for the health of the community. This will allow us to weed out the unnecessary junk from the community and at the same time attract smart intellectual individuals.

AF COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
fiberglasscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #14
johnschmitt
AF Newbie

I'd second (or third) pulling all the codes and posting them here.

Also:

"Honestly, if the problem stops or lessens greatly when you shift into neutral/park then the problem is most likely the transmission."

I would like to draw attention to "most likely," as I had a spark plug problem causing similar symptoms and the motor seemed to smooth out when not in gear. The problem didn't go away, but the vibration wasn't transferred through the transmission, suspension, and all that. Plus the engine will tend to idle a little bit higher out of gear. The problem could be more pronounced at 600 rpm than at 1000.
johnschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
maliblues
AF Newbie

99 malibu did you ever figure out your problem?
maliblues is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu