Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
biggjuice
AF Newbie

power steering question

hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and have a question on the powersteering for my 2000 chevy malibu. it seems like the pump has either went bad or something to that effect. whenever i go to turn the car, it is somewhat hard to turn the wheel. it will still turn, but i really have to pull the wheel pretty hard. if anyone would happen to have an idea as to what might be wrong, please let me know. thank-you
biggjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
fastk
AF Newbie

Re: power steering question

Hey! did you check the power steering fluid level? If your engine is hot then fluid level should be on hot line or if your engine is cool then fluid level should be on cold line.
fastk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
biggjuice
AF Newbie

Yes, i have checked the power steering fluid level and it is where it's supposed to be.
biggjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
bearcatdon
AF Regular

A bad rack and pinion will make it seem like you have no power steering. The only thing I've ever seen go bad on power steering pumps are the bearings. When this happens you'll hear it and see a slight leak.
bearcatdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
fastk
AF Newbie

Recall notice... I have done mine...

You said you have 2000 malibu but if it's manufactured in 1999 then check this recall notice.

Recalls Summary

Make: CHEVROLET
Model: MALIBU
Type: ANY
Year: 1997~1999
Recall Number: 03V527000
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE LOWER PINION BEARINGS IN THE POWER RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLY IN WHICH THE RETAINER TABS WERE NOT CRIMPED PROPERLY. THESE RETAINERS COULD FAIL AND PERMIT THE BALL BEARINGS TO ESCAPE.
Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE PINION SHAFT CAN BE FORCED UPWARD DURING LEFT TURNS AND BACK DOWN AS THE STEERING WHEEL IS MOVED BACK AND TO THE RIGHT. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL NEED TO EXERT MORE EFFORT TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL, SIMILAR TO A VEHICLE WITHOUT POWER ASSISTED STEERING. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES EVEN FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL REQUIRE MUCH HIGHER EFFORT TO TURN LEFT AND MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TURN THE WHEEL AS MUCH AS INTENDED. WITH THE MAXIMUM PINION SHAFT MOVEMENT, WHICH REQUIRES INTERNAL GEAR COMPONENT DAMAGE, THE DRIVER CAN ENCOUNTER HIGH RESISTANCE TO TURNING LEFT, FOLLOWED BY UNINTENDED POWER ASSIST TO THE RIGHT. IN ANY OF THESE CONDITIONS, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW LOWER PINION BEARING UNLESS INSPECT OF THE EXISTING BEARING INDICATES THAT REPLACEMENT OF THE GEAR ASSEMBLY IS NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080; CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438; OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537; OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03062. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

You can go to
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm
Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
ladyk325
AF Newbie

I've had that same problem. I thought it was because my power steering fluid was low so I filled it but quickly the problem came back. How can I tell when my car was manufactured? I bought it brand new in March 2000.
ladyk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
fastk
AF Newbie

You can check the manufactured date on the sticker label located at the driver side door.

Last edited by fastk; 01-10-2005 at 07:02 PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu